fire wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkfin12us

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I think its more profitable to, if you have a knuckle boom and are able to take longer lengths like 8 feet to 16 feet.Hook up with a logging outfit that can come and take your wood to the mill and cut you a check for that wood.I have a bucket truck and knuckle boom with 16 foot bed but one piston went bad after about 120,00 miles and id rather rebuild then do one piston.About 7,000 dollar rebuild dt 466 if i dont have 7.000 then im not ready to do it.The things look like they are lining up this year that i might have to wait a year to do it.Any way i just think its a waste to split wood pick up deliver and not make much.I would look into wood burning stove in future if i had the money but as we know business is good from may to maybe november,then you just sweat to make it till spring.I think i have to watch my money much more careful then i have in past.

Last edited:
I though firewood was a waste of time.

I always thought selling wood was a waist of time. With our June 07 wind storm, we accumulated a lot of mesquite,pecan and oak. As slow as work has been lately, selling firewood is a pretty good gig. 100 a rick, 200 full cord, no delivery, (no advertising)but great traffic flow. Heck I went to the shop Sat just messing around and sold 2 and half cords by noon, ill do that every sat. I love it. And the customers like it too, and they take as much bark and odds and ends to make for a starter as well, 500 hundred this sat.just tinkering about, sure does help out.

For us If a crew gets done a few hours before their shift is over we put some of the guys in the shop and some on the wood pile. We have 2 Timberwolf proceesors going at once. 1 operator per machine and 1-2 guys per machine feeding and cutting logs. The rest of guys delivering. That way every week they atleast get their 40hrs. Firewood is really a filler and a nice way to recycle our waste. Not very profitable but keeps our employees from quiting when things get slower in the winter. They will still be there come spring time, so for us thank God for firewood.

I think its more profitable to, if you have a knuckle boom and are able to take longer lengths like 8 feet to 16 feet.Hook up with a logging outfit that can come and take your wood to the mill and cut you a check for that wood..

If you have good sawlogs, I guess thats an option. A lot of tree companies do yard trees, most mills want NOTHING to do with yard trees. I've sawn just about every piece of iron you can imagine, raises hell with band blades, circle ones too. I'm sure if you do land clearing, etc. you'll get some nice stuff, shame to cut it into firewood.

Latest posts

Back