Firewood buyer story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got a good chuckle reading the seller stories so I thought I'd share one from the other side of the 79 Ford Firewood Hauler door. That'll get you sellers fired up!:)

Ok. Now here's one from a customer standpoint...

Now I've only bought firewood once in my life and it was a few years back when I got back into burning wood(best decision ever btw). I reply to an ad in the area paper with firewood for sale. I call the number and the guy ends up being from a town about an hour from here. I was ready to end the call there when I found out he was that far away but he says "no problem. I can deliver it that far for an extra 25 bucks."

This makes the total after delivery charge $125 a cord. That should have been my first sign. I'm more than a little skeptical so I asked if the wood is truly seasoned like the ad says...
"Well I cut it down on the ladies property about a year ago so it should be good. Just give me a day or two to split the rest." Second sign. Shoulda ran but was too excited to burn in the new furnace and it was elm that I could mix with the half cord of seasoned I had for campfires so one more question from me: "So is it really going to be a cord though?" The snapped off answer was "I know what a cord is!!!" Ok then.

Well, long story short the guy comes 4 days later in a 3/4 ton flat bed pickup with stake sides. The wood wasn't stacked and it still didn't even fill the sides of the bed. You should have seen how fast he unloaded once I started stacking! lol! I still paid the poor guy his price for the 2/3 cord(after I stacked) as he looked like he could use the money. He did say he couldn't travel that far again for that price. His mother in law had to bring him some gas after he ran out 5 miles from my house!

The wood did burn well... the next year. He must have dropped that elm in a lake! I have 13 acres and a lot of chainsaws now thank god! I know you guys don't operate like that just thought I'd share a laugh.

When you find one of the good sellers they are some of the best people on the planet. Not sure what is different with firewood guys but the two I have dealt with for my Mom have been fair, polite, professional, and proud of their product, not something you find a lot of these days.

One of these guys pulled wood from his own stack and delivered it to my Mother when she was hard up. She lost her job and house and had to move into the family camp mid winter with no wood.

There are good guys out there, when you find them treat them right and they will take good care of you.

When you find one of the good sellers they are some of the best people on the planet. Not sure what is different with firewood guys but the two I have dealt with for my Mom have been fair, polite, professional, and proud of their product, not something you find a lot of these days.

There are good guys out there, when you find them treat them right and they will take good care of you.

You know the guys in this thread http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=155034 that think processing wood is fun? Well, they're the same guys. The bad sellers are usually the ones that think it's a PITA.

I also only bought firewood once. "Mixed Hardwood" was what he said. It was ALL sycamore, with maybe 2 or 3 sticks of something else. I was tempted to tell him to get out of here with his mixed hardwood, but I knew he spent time putting it on the trailer and driving out here. Got my own great source for oak, hackberry, hickory, elm, and other "mixed hardwoods." No sycamore, though. I wouldn't burn that if you paid me. It's the only wood that leaves more ash than there was wood to begin with, and I really hate cleaning out the stove!

I still paid the poor guy his price for the 2/3 cord(after I stacked) as he looked like he could use the money.

It is frustrating dealing with people who don't have a clue. However, you did an upstanding deed by helping the guy out. Neediness is not an excuse for stupidity, but it usually is the reason for the neediness! :dizzy:

Latest posts

Back