Firewood for sale ads crack me up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, we don't trust the newspaper/CL ad sellers. When we started heating with wood we paid for 3 cord from 2 sellers. Got just over 2 cord of half-seasoned crap. Some splits were too long or too large to fit in the stove. Some was so green it wouldn't burn at all.

We cut our own now so it's no big deal. Just sayin'... those shysters move a lot of firewood to people who don't know what they're buying until it's too late.

I've purchased 2 cords so far this season only because I am new at the wood burning thing from Craigs List. The first cord is still un-burnable and I purchased it back in September. That stuff was also supposed to have been well split in 16 inch lengths. None of that was true. I had some pieces that were longer than 24 inches and if "Well Split" means only about a dozen pieces were split, well, then I guess it was. And if green means seasoned, who am I to argue. Some of that stuff is still has moisture content of 35% or better. At the time I didn't know anything about firewood, but I have since gleaned tons from this site alone. I will say if I ever run into him locally, I will give him what he deserves :angry2: :check: :check: :buttkick: :check: :check:

The second cord was fine and we talked before hand. He told me the length and size may be larger than what I wanted but he did say it would all have been seasoned for at least a year. All of it was true and it really was seasoned. I also resplit a few chunks and used a moisture meter on them before I accepted delivery. BTW, the guy was fine with that.

Next year and all that follow will be well split, well seasoned, cut to the proper length, firewood because I did it all myself. (and free other than whatever resources I use for felling bucking and splitting) So far I have approximately 6 cords and I won't be stopping until I have at least 10. I figure I'll be using a cord and a half to 2 cords a heating season.

Another good one. And a good price too for poplar.

Date Listed 20-Dec-12
Price $75.00
Address Sudbury, ON P3A 5K6, Canada
I offer dry poplar firewood face cords for $75 ea, I can also deliver to Sudbury for $30 per cord, it will be a bit cheaper if you live in Whanapitea or Wanup area. Wood can be picked up around HWY 537 area.

I like this guy. Must be hardwood and free.

Wanted: Free firewood pickup
Watch | Share| Print | Report Ad
Date Listed 20-Dec-12
Last Edited 20-Dec-12
Address Britannia Avenue, L3Z 1A6
View map

Want free firewood will pick up. I have a truck and trailer must be hardwood!

This ad was posted with the Kijiji mobile app.

Yup, Miz Storm I agree. Want something done right, do it yourself. :)

Our first winter of burning delivered wood was a challenge. A lot of it just wouldn't burn at all. The bigger splits, I took out and resplit just to make sure they'd burn.

The sellers said it was fully seasoned, good to burn right away but that was BS. The chimney cap screen clogged every couple months, I was up there with a wire brush clearing it. Took the nylon bristle brush and rods to the flue twice before spring.

I started cutting and splitting our own that winter. We're burning it now. The SheWolf says she's amazed by the difference. So am I. What we have now burns well... it catches fire quick and emits a lot more heat.

So far, this season has been colder than last winter was. And we've used less wood than we'd used last year around this time. My guesstimate on the old question of how-much-will-I-need has been lowered. Went through three cord last season. It doesn't appear that we'll burn as much this time around. :)

cantoo,

I wonder if they pump septic tanks out while visiting?
Seems like with the wood delivery and house reno it could be a good side addon :)
My thought is you have an empty truck after the wood delivery :)

No, that's the propain guy's backhaul. How'd you think they got the stink into that stuff?

I had a guy buy a half cord from me, and as I am unloading he grabs a few pieces and runs in to start a fire. He comes out after a few minutes and says looks great and hands me my money plus an extra $10. I wish more people would do things like this so we could get rid of some of the crackheads.

I had a guy order a 1/3 cord. He called me back less than an hour after the delivery and order the other 2/3. When I got there there was just that almost clear shimmering smoke coming out of his chimney. He asked what I did to make my wood burn so well. I guess he had gotten ripped before too.

Dan

I have a lot of regulars, but when almost all of them first bought they would call and ask why it burns so good. There are a lot of people out there taking advantage of the ones who just dont know.:msp_mad: Very sad

Steve NW WI,

I'm pretty sure that's the propane delivery guy that smells like that :)

I know my fuel oil guy smells worse than the fuel oil.
My mechanic smells better than my truck, but i got a pretty dirty truck LOL

I had a guy buy a half cord from me, and as I am unloading he grabs a few pieces and runs in to start a fire. He comes out after a few minutes and says looks great and hands me my money plus an extra $10. I wish more people would do things like this so we could get rid of some of the crackheads.

I had a guy order a 1/3 cord. He called me back less than an hour after the delivery and order the other 2/3. When I got there there was just that almost clear shimmering smoke coming out of his chimney. He asked what I did to make my wood burn so well. I guess he had gotten ripped before too.

Dan

Anyone I have ever sold to, I told them I would bring over a few splits from the said wood stack I had for sale and let them try it out for free... I am honest and will take wood from what I sell and have never had a complaint. Most don't even take up my offer and feel if I am that confident they will be fine. I also check up on all sales and see that everything is good.

About 6 years ago there was a kid that was selling pickup loads of seasoned cherry for $75 delivered, His stuff was perfectly dry and cheap, I made the mistake of giving him an education in pricing and never could get a load that cheap again.:bang:

About 6 years ago there was a kid that was selling pickup loads of seasoned cherry for $75 delivered, His stuff was perfectly dry and cheap, I made the mistake of giving him an education in pricing and never could get a load that cheap again.:bang:

You did the right thing. You just didn't do yourself or his other customers any favors.

An Oldy But Goodie...

Here's one about four years old:

FirewoodAd_zps33267b80.gif

Sorry guys, but the price hasn't changed much around here. I sold the same thing last week for the same price.

So, did the kid go on to be a success? Ya never know, entrepeneurs who do a good job and learn ast..might start the next apple or something.

Latest posts

Back