Firewood Gathering: Tips of the Trade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For baileys quick sticks I made my own. I got a piece of all thread and a long nut. Painted it bright purple with another nut JB welded on the other end to prevent it from vibrating off..works like a dream.

I also have a set of railroad tie tongs, they have longer handles than traditional log tongs. Great for moving the heavy rounds...my buddy and I can move 3' rounds with ease
Timber Tongs | Timber Nips | Track Tools | Railway Tools | Railway Track Equipment | Rail Maintenance| Track Tools

Jeff

I made this for marking logs. Cheap and easy to use, and if it breaks, you can make another for a buck.

[video=youtube;qrPyt5STtFw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrPyt5STtFw[/video]

I put a piece of black tape on the end opposite the slit where the chalk comes out to help line up the next mark.

This tip may not work out for everyone, depending on the cutting situation, but here is what i do. In the winter and spring months i fall and limb all the trees i am going to cut into firewood, that way they are waiting to be bucked up, and seasoning in case it takes till mid summer to get around to it (It never lays that long). After that i will go a long and mark off 16 inch rounds, and cut the trees up on another day, I then wait the roads have dried up (june) to come in and haul the wood out.

Also if your not hauling your wood out the day you cut it, its a good idea to pile it up because in the spring time under brush will cover it up.

I go by the rule that months containing the letter R are good for felling. :] There is a fast firewood trick tho, that is felling in the summer months and leaving it on the ground with all the branches (leaves) on, the sun sucks out the moisture faster that way. Works on birch, can't fast dry oak like that :msp_sleep:

Use a fire ax for splitting

Same here. I haul the biggest pieces I can get on the truck and then try to split them as I unload.

Tip: PICKAROON! I delayed buying one for years due to the cost. First time I used it I kicked my fundament for waiting and now you would have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

I can unload half the the bed of my PU without ever crawling up into it. Doesn't even count the 'walk along rolling a round with it' vice stooping over manually rolling one.

Harry K

It is heavy enough to split like a maul, has a built in pick, and you get both tools in one handle.

Latest posts

Back