Firewood/log cutting stands?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winland

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Any advice on buying or building a log cutting stand.
I see that Bailey's has a nice "Smart-Holder" but it is over $100.

Can you post a photo of your home-made log cutting stand or suggest a better/cheaper purchase than the Smart-Holder?

Thanks,
Chuck

Do you have a hydraulic splitter? If so, use the ram to hold the logs. I have never tried it myself so I am not sure how long or how big of a log the splitter will hold. Ever since I have seen that done on here, I am been dying to try it out. Just haven't had any small stuff to cut up.

Do you have a hydraulic splitter? If so, use the ram to hold the logs. I have never tried it myself so I am not sure how long or how big of a log the splitter will hold. Ever since I have seen that done on here, I am been dying to try it out. Just haven't had any small stuff to cut up.

Interesting idea, but sounds like it would be a two man job. One to hold the log in place and one to actuate the ram until it held onto the log.
Thanks.

Interesting idea, but sounds like it would be a two man job. One to hold the log in place and one to actuate the ram until it held onto the log.
Thanks.

It would be alot easier with two people but I believe it can be done by yourself. I was thinking stack a couple of rounds on top of each other to hold the log up in the air until the ram is holding it.

This photo is what I use now, a larger variation of what I initially tried. The first one was two saw horses with a small cut table made out of landscape timbers and a 8 foot 2" x6" on the face as shown. Larger logs were lifted one end at a time. What I like about this is that once cut, the cuts are still at waist height and not dropping on the ground. I stack them on a trailer behind me, roll the next log forward and cut. Between cutting logs I set the chain break and leave the saw running, stack, roll log forward against 2 x6, cut. No marking or guessing . The landscape timbers are sacrificial in the cutting process. They used to be a buck a piece and have gone up to $3.57 ea. I used five of them ganged together and replace them and the 2 x 6 once a year or as needed. Build your saw horsed as long as you like to accommodate more logs. I like an I-beam style saw horse. 2 x 4 flat, 2 x 4 vertical, 2 x 4 flat. The top of the legs tight underneath the top 2 x 4, and fastened to the edge of the bottom 2 x 4. Plywood cleats on the legs to keep them from spreading. Very strong and fairly inexpensive.View attachment 286524

Back