Firewood Poaching?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
On a road trip a few days back I noticed a couple guys cutting up a bunch of downed tree's just 25 feet or so off the road.
It was close to a handy bathroom exit so I decide to be nosy.
I told him I'm always interested in extra firewood and who could I talk with to get some of these downed tree's?

His reply, "Let yer f@#$%^& conscious" be yer guide!!:eek:

I said, "what in the hell are you talking about", while monitoring any quirky moves, he says, "what I mean is I don't ask nobody ****, I just see a lot of easy wood, keep an eye out fer the "Law Dogs", I drop em, he limbs em, and we both load em in the bed and trailer then we haul ass Bubba!
So fer we got dam near 30 cords of oak, ash and hackberry stacked up.
He says he has conversations with the State Troopers & Deputies on the regular...and they NEVER hassle him or make him stop!:innocent:
I know this guy is an idiot & unethical and will eventually bite the dust, but if you cut some without it being illegal I'd like to find out?

Who are the authorities to see about cutting wood off the highways and so forth?
Thanks,
Reg

On a road trip a few days back I noticed a couple guys cutting up a bunch of downed tree's just 25 feet or so off the road.
It was close to a handy bathroom exit so I decide to be nosy.
I told him I'm always interested in extra firewood and who could I talk with to get some of these downed tree's?

His reply, "Let yer f@#$%^& conscious" be yer guide!!:eek:

I said, "what in the hell are you talking about", while monitoring any quirky moves, he says, "what I mean is I don't ask nobody ****, I just see a lot of easy wood, keep an eye out fer the "Law Dogs", I drop em, he limbs em, and we both load em in the bed and trailer then we haul ass Bubba!
So fer we got dam near 30 cords of oak, ash and hackberry stacked up.
He says he has conversations with the State Troopers & Deputies on the regular...and they NEVER hassle him or make him stop!:innocent:
I know this guy is an idiot & unethical and will eventually bite the dust, but if you cut some without it being illegal I'd like to find out?

Who are the authorities to see about cutting wood off the highways and so forth?
Thanks,
Reg
I've wondered that myself. I often see some nice dead standing hardwood just off the highway. Easy pickins but it's not worth getting in trouble for.

Although i have no personal experience with firewood poaching, it helps to wear an orange safety vest, a hardhat, and exhude and authoritative manner when doing what you describe so as not to arouse suspicion. Or so i've been told.
Hahahahha...I Love It! :happybanana:

So far I've always went to the tax map to get the owners address and asked to have the wood. I've never been told no. Not worth the trouble if asked to leave because I know exactly how I would act if I caught someone cutting on my property illegally. County or state right of way is a little different, first come first serve.

So far I've always went to the tax map to get the owners address and asked to have the wood. I've never been told no. Not worth the trouble if asked to leave because I know exactly how I would act if I caught someone cutting on my property illegally. County or state right of way is a little different, first come first serve.
I hear you Marshy. Tell me more about the "County or state right of way is a little different, first come first serve" deal???:reading:

If its county property and they are maintaining it and take a tree down on the edge of the road and leave it then I wouldn't go asking the county for it, I'd just cut it up and take it. I wouldn't ever consider taking down any trees though. It has to be already down.

Not to derail but Joetown has an extensive parkway system. If park & rec takes down a tree, they will leave the large part and take away the top. A person can cut it up and haul it away provided they ask supervisor permission.

Same kind of deal at the city landfill. Cut and haul rather than bury it.

Not to derail but Joetown has an extensive parkway system. If park & rec takes down a tree, they will leave the large part and take away the top. A person can cut it up and haul it away provided they ask supervisor permission.

Same kind of deal at the city landfill. Cut and haul rather than bury it.
Can you just pay a dump fee at the Landfill and commence cutting up & hauling away any worthy logs/wood?

I dont know how legal scrounging wood off the road is. I do know that a logger lost a load about half a mile from my house a couple of years ago. Wood laid on side of the road for over a year. I thought about getting it myself, but never did. One day i drove by and saw a couple of folks sawing the wood into chunks and loading in back of truck. Well good for them. A little while later I drove back by and the police had them handcuffed in his patrol car. Truck sat there for a day or two and then it disappeared. Dont know if they where arrested for getting the wood or for some other violation.There is still a little pile of wood left so the guys didnt come back to get the rest of it.

I dont know how legal scrounging wood off the road is. I do know that a logger lost a load about half a mile from my house a couple of years ago. Wood laid on side of the road for over a year. I thought about getting it myself, but never did. One day i drove by and saw a couple of folks sawing the wood into chunks and loading in back of truck. Well good for them. A little while later I drove back by and the police had them handcuffed in his patrol car. Truck sat there for a day or two and then it disappeared. Dont know if they where arrested for getting the wood or for some other violation.There is still a little pile of wood left so the guys didnt come back to get the rest of it.
:eek: Hmm...suck 2 be them!

ROW width can vary a bunch. I know of places where it only goes ditch to ditch and the state doesnt own the ditch. I will also venture to guess that the state employee thats saying go ahead and get the wood, probably doesnt have the authority to give the wood away. Just because they have a orange vest on and drive a state vehicle, doesnt mean they can give anything away.

It is illegal to park on a highway and most roads unless you are broke down, I believe in NY you have to be 3'of the line on some of the secondary roads, I'm not too sure, I just know this because I had stopped on the side of the road to fish and the cop gave me most of the info on parking legally.

I know of places where it only goes ditch to ditch and the state doesnt own the ditch.
If it's a "Right-of-Way" the State doesn't own any real estate... the landowner owns the real estate to the middle of the road. The State owns an easement... the State owns a "right" of way, or a "right" to use the land. The stipulations of the easement determine both the "rights" and "responsibilities" of both the State (or appropriate government body) and the landowner... as well as the width of the easement. Those stipulations won't necessarily be the same from State-to-State, or even by County or City depending.

For example, in most Iowa cities the sidewalk in front of your house is on the easement (or Right-of-Way)... yet the landowner is responsible for cutting the grass between the sidewalk and roadway, and maintaining the sidewalk. In most Iowa cities you will receive a citation if you don't clear the snow from the sidewalk on your property... but you don't have a right to stop the public from using the sidewalk (because it's on the Right-of-Way). However, that don't mean someone can walk their dog and allow it to crap on the easement on your property, you have the right to demand they clean it up. Out in the Iowa counties the landowner is rarely responsible for maintaining any part of the easement (Right-of-Way), but they may if they choose to. I mow the ditch in front of my place, but I'm not required to... some farmers even cut and bail it for hay. Small game shotgun hunting on/in the Right-of-Way requires no permission from anyone along most county roadways... but shooting a solid projectile (bullet or slug) may be illegal, depending.

Also, and depending, not all roads are on an easement (Right-of-Way), some are on land actually owned by the State. When the State owns the land it is called a "Highway" not a "Right-of-Way"... the improved portion, basically the road and shoulder, is called the "Roadway" regardless of ownership. Iowa has always believed that good fences make for good neighbors, so most rural properties have a fence around them; determining the width of the easement (Right-of-Way) or State owned land (Highway) is pretty easy... fence line-to-fence line.

So where am I going with all this??
Well... there ain't no "one-size-fits-all" answer for the OP's question... it depends. The State or one of its representatives/employees may very well have the authority to give permission to cut wood on a "Right-of-Way" or "Highway"... or not. If you spot some wood in a ditch you'd like to cut I'd suggest you contact the sheriff of that County first... if he don't have the answer, he should know where to direct you for it. Depending on the type of road and location you may need permission from the landowner, from a County representative, from a State representative, possibly someone else, possible no one, or it may just be flat illegal... period.

Nope. It is same as private property, ask first. Here, every time I have asked, the county has said "take it, the ROW is 50' from center line".
Like I said, I go to the tax map and look up the owner. I haven't come across a situation where the property owner is the county or state, if I had then I would just take it but I haven't yet. If the power authority had trees taken down for maintaining the ROW for lines, or county highway for roads, then I still find the property owner and ask.

Even if no one sees , God sees .. I'll revert back to the old saying : if you take something that isn't yours then you are stealing . Doesn't matter if it's a piece of gum or a load of firewood

Back