Firewood Poaching?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jail? I've never heard of that, unless the person is violent or has a warrant out for them. Here, they'll make you haul it in, unload it or maybe keep it on the truck and keep the truck, and the saw may be impounded. Truck and saw are returned, eventually, but the firewood will be put up for auction.

Note that the Forest Service also auctions off large concentrations of firewood and firewood dealers are usually the bidders. But they still should have tags of some sort on the loads.

Raid the slash piles before they light them up in the fall. Lots of good wood to be had, that's all just gonna go up in smoke anyway.
Loggers just ripped up all of the culverts on a big logging road behind me. Easily 10 cords of hardwood tops on the landing that will rot away. They tore it up so good you can't even get a wheeler back there.

Yep jail, my dad bailed him out the following day. My uncle was the cocky type, so he was probably making an ass out of himself so the Ranger probably decided to make an example of him. I've had them confiscate my wood just because we cut down a tree that was a little too large in diameter and charge us a $250 fine for it as well. That's the worst trouble I've been in with them. Had we not had our tags we would've been in much bigger trouble I'm sure.they actually taped off the area with police line tape if you can believe that. We were shaking in our boots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loggers just ripped up all of the culverts on a big logging road behind me. Easily 10 cords of hardwood tops on the landing that will rot away. They tore it up so good you can't even get a wheeler back there.

On FS land, they pretty much have to do that. It's in the contract. BT5.1, Temporary Roads. Temp roads or spur roads are just that, temporary. Pipes come out as part of the process. If they don't rip them up, the environmentalists have cause to stop more timber sales. The road gets torn up as part of the timber sale, by the logger. They know that from the get go. It's common practice.

There is a way around that, but there usually are not the funds to do it. The road closing can be waived, and the area left open for woodcutting AFTER the unit is accepted--all work complete and accepted. BUT, there has to be funding available to hire somebody to come back in and close the road. We used dollars in the firewood program a few times to do that in areas with an extra large amount of firewood.

On FS land, they pretty much have to do that. It's in the contract. BT5.1, Temporary Roads. Temp roads or spur roads are just that, temporary. Pipes come out as part of the process. If they don't rip them up, the environmentalists have cause to stop more timber sales. The road gets torn up as part of the timber sale, by the logger. They know that from the get go. It's common practice.

There is a way around that, but there usually are not the funds to do it. The road closing can be waived, and the area left open for woodcutting AFTER the unit is accepted--all work complete and accepted. BUT, there has to be funding available to hire somebody to come back in and close the road. We used dollars in the firewood program a few times to do that in areas with an extra large amount of firewood.
Prior to the road being improved, the county (this is an extension of a county road) told us that the road would remain open. However the property where the culverts were pulled changed hands from Potlatch to The Conservation Fund so I think they called for it. The road was actually improved to access a federal cut.

It doesn't really affect me except I can't drive a car to within 200 yards of one of my deer stand sites any more. ATV access only and 1/4 mile past that is the end of the line for all vehicles.

Edit: It's interesting they finally did it now because the loggers have been gone for almost two years.

Back