firewood prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Going to sell a bit of wood this season - wondering what to charge. I'd like to have a few options, and was wondering if any of the rest of you do any of this:

Option 1 - split/seasoned/delivered/stacked
Option 2 - Split/seasoned, customer picks up
Option 3 - customer picks up short logs or rounds to self-split/season

Do you mix all your woods, or do you charge different for different kinds?

I deliver seasoned firewood, no stacking. Drop and go.
All oak is $210, add delivery over 10 miles.
Mixed is $180, add delivery over 10 miles

I get $360 for all oak per cord or 120 a face. Mixed hardwoods $285 or 95 a face. $20 delivery Within 25 miles. I stack it sometimes which really sucks if it's a cord. I bring my sons with to help. My mixed gets a little of everything except pine or spruce. I cut it at 16 inches. People don't like the long stuff. But I sell to mostly fireplace users. People with money that live in the suburbs. I sell out every year by Nov 1. I only get a couple people a year that pick up at my place.

all oak, split an delivered up to 20 miles(1.00 a loaded mile after 20) for 225.00 per cord.... dropped and paid! if stacked from the back of the truck it's an extra 50.00. further then 20 feet at least 75.00................ wheeled? " HOW BAD YOU WANT IT STACKED"?? MIXED WOOD IS 195.00 PER CORD WITH THE SAME PRICE FOR STACKING! MY BACK CANT TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HARD WOOD AND SOFT WOOD'S!!!! (DANGED FINGERS OR DUMB BRAIN) take your pick with the cap letters??? lol

most people sell oak at 60$ per rick picked up not sure on a cord. a mixed rick is 40$

You have to be careful offering stacking, but since you have a stacking staff you might do alright with it. Friend of mine brings his kids with him in the crew cab truck and if the customer wants it stacked they can pay the kids $20 a cord. Most people tip the kids extra to the point where he says the kids are making more money stacking wood than he does cutting it. Several times they've been tipped a Benjamin for stacking two cords.:eek:

Mr. HE:cool:

i only sell to people i know well or friends which is only two people, i deliver to one place and they have a old coal chute next to there house and i open the door and start pitching the wood into his basement for his wood furnace. 2 cords at one time.
the next is my grandma i dont charge a thing for her.

65 a rick for junk wood and 90-100 a rick for good wood with 20$ delivery charge or you pick up. Will stack most the time. Hickory and oak go in my shed.

I forgot to mention, I try to turn down pickup as much as possible because hardly anyone is reliable time wise. Yeah yeah I will be there at 8am...2 hours later they show up. My weekends are too busy for that crap.

Bundles and bags are the most return per cubic foot of wood. I've been trying cooking wood this summer and just did ten of them today, most I ever did.

Splitting by hand and all the other handling, I would want the most return, not so much doing bulk sales.

Using a lot of mechanized stuff, dump truck or trailer, good splitter, etc, sure bulk sales. smaller than that, bundles.

Unc. M.

What you charge is a function of a whole lot of variables.

1- How much out of pocket money and time is tied up in the wood? This is probably the most important and most overlooked. Wood whether you buy treelength and process or drop trees, cut up and haul all have an associated cost. Wood that is 30 miles away and has to be handled and hauled several times before it is processed and/or delivered is not cheap. For example if you leave the house at 8am but don't actually start work until 9:15 due to travel time and getting set up you have 1-1/4 hours tied up without any product being produced. The firewood business is full of these pitfalls and expenses that way to many sellers don't even think about. Several years ago I started a spreadsheet and started accurately tracking my time and expenses. To put it mildly, the results are eye opening.

2- Delivery is not just about fuel, remember that when figuring delivery fees. You or someone else has to drive the vehicle to and from the customer. Seat time behind the wheel isn't free. You don't need to charge Teamster rates but do need to consider the amount of time involved as well as vehicle expenses.

3- What is the going rate per cord for legitimate firewood sellers? There will always be hacks selling cheap and delivering green, short cords. Do not get into that pricing game with them, you'll either lose money or end up grossing $4.50 or less per hour. I have always found when it comes to firewood, regular, repeat customers, that you can build your business on, will buy from you even if you're a bit higher than market price as long as your product is quality, and you provide excellent customer service.

4- Do you want to build this into a decent part time business or are you just moving some excess inventory? If you want to build a business delivery is a given. People buy wood for many reasons one of the most notable being they don't want to touch the stuff except to put it in the stove. If you're just getting rid of some excess, try tp put it in a area with easy access and advertise no delivery available (this may or may not fly). Along the same lines, when people come to pick up wood make them pay either for the entire order up front, or by the partial load before they touch a stick. I got stiffed last year by a guy that was to pick up 4 cord. He picked up 2 with his 10-12 year old son on Saturday, apologized profusely about his wife taking the checkbook and debit card that morning and that he would pay me on Sunday when he came back for the other 2 cord. Being married, I certainly know how this works and he seemed legit so I said sure, no problem. Didn't I feel like an expletive deleted when he never came back and I had no last name or address, just that he had MA plates. Lesson learned.

5- Stay away from the carrot ploy. Oldest BS trick in the book. Sell me 2 cord at price X and I'll buy 5 or 6 from you next year. My standard reply to this is simply to say that works, however I'll need an up front 50% cash deposit for next year's wood. No takers to this point.

Last thought and I'll go away, (though I could write a book on this subject), unless you're doing something to help a friend/relative, or for charity, you have every right to be fairly paid for your product(s) and services. I do not work for free, nor do I expect someone else too. Make sure the compensation received meets reasonable expectations.

Take Care

Good advice there, Swamp Yankee.

I'm already familiar with some of the business principles, including a few hard-learned ones. I don't really want a part-time business, as I don't have regular access to a lot of wood, and what I do get goes in my own stove. I just happen to have a windfall of free wood 4 blocks away where I don't have to deal with stumps or branches. All I do is drop and take what I want, and the owner will deal with the rest. That's why I figured I could offer a second price for those who would haul it themselves, since I would rather not bother with that, but it sounds like delivery is par for the course.

I figured it takes probably 5-6 hours of labor for a cord of wood. That's not a lot of money when it's 'junk' wood, but a little extra cash helps to pay for the splitter, and gives my kids some potential income for next year.

Unc. M.

What you charge is a function of a whole lot of variables.

1- How much out of pocket money and time is tied up in the wood? This is probably the most important and most overlooked. Wood whether you buy treelength and process or drop trees, cut up and haul all have an associated cost. Wood that is 30 miles away and has to be handled and hauled several times before it is processed and/or delivered is not cheap. For example if you leave the house at 8am but don't actually start work until 9:15 due to travel time and getting set up you have 1-1/4 hours tied up without any product being produced. The firewood business is full of these pitfalls and expenses that way to many sellers don't even think about. Several years ago I started a spreadsheet and started accurately tracking my time and expenses. To put it mildly, the results are eye opening.

2- Delivery is not just about fuel, remember that when figuring delivery fees. You or someone else has to drive the vehicle to and from the customer. Seat time behind the wheel isn't free. You don't need to charge Teamster rates but do need to consider the amount of time involved as well as vehicle expenses.

3- What is the going rate per cord for legitimate firewood sellers? There will always be hacks selling cheap and delivering green, short cords. Do not get into that pricing game with them, you'll either lose money or end up grossing $4.50 or less per hour. I have always found when it comes to firewood, regular, repeat customers, that you can build your business on, will buy from you even if you're a bit higher than market price as long as your product is quality, and you provide excellent customer service.

4- Do you want to build this into a decent part time business or are you just moving some excess inventory? If you want to build a business delivery is a given. People buy wood for many reasons one of the most notable being they don't want to touch the stuff except to put it in the stove. If you're just getting rid of some excess, try tp put it in a area with easy access and advertise no delivery available (this may or may not fly). Along the same lines, when people come to pick up wood make them pay either for the entire order up front, or by the partial load before they touch a stick. I got stiffed last year by a guy that was to pick up 4 cord. He picked up 2 with his 10-12 year old son on Saturday, apologized profusely about his wife taking the checkbook and debit card that morning and that he would pay me on Sunday when he came back for the other 2 cord. Being married, I certainly know how this works and he seemed legit so I said sure, no problem. Didn't I feel like an expletive deleted when he never came back and I had no last name or address, just that he had MA plates. Lesson learned.

5- Stay away from the carrot ploy. Oldest BS trick in the book. Sell me 2 cord at price X and I'll buy 5 or 6 from you next year. My standard reply to this is simply to say that works, however I'll need an up front 50% cash deposit for next year's wood. No takers to this point.

Last thought and I'll go away, (though I could write a book on this subject), unless you're doing something to help a friend/relative, or for charity, you have every right to be fairly paid for your product(s) and services. I do not work for free, nor do I expect someone else too. Make sure the compensation received meets reasonable expectations.

Take Care
I agree with all you said and I strongly agree on #3. As for #4, anyone who comes to pick up wood gets a picture taken of their license plate with my cell phone whether they know it or not. If they are fast talkers and seem slick I make sure they see me take the picture. If they seem trust worthy and honest, I snap it without them seeing.

Has anyone figured out how long it takes them to cut, split and stack a cord of wood?

The reason I'm asking, I did the math this winter and at selling cord wood for $150 (going rate around here is $160-190) I am better off selling my wood than burning it. I have natural gas and pay $150 a month and I figure I burn 1 to 1 1/2 cord a month.

I've never paid attention to the time it takes to process a cord.
I'm talking going into the woods to cut wood.

I'm debating on whether or not to start upping my production to get wood drying for seasons to come.

I have kept track before and depending on conditions, it's ranged from $25-40 an hour. Lots of variables though.

Latest posts

Back