firewood sales, i thought i had heard it all

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had several people ask if they can buy walnut or sycamore cheaper that oak. Hell, at 35.00 a rick deleivered for seasoned oak, how much cheaper do they want. The answer is always nope, takes the same work to cut crap as it does good wood.

I'd say, unless someone can prove different, that you just might have the lowest prices in the US of A there in Mizzou.

heres a link to a thread written about a customer who damn near about broke me and made me lose it, i was hanging on by a thread there towards the end, almost went off the deep on with this guy lol, quite a long rant, but if you have time to read it, youll see why..
its titled "worst firewood customer ever" - rightfully so
http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=149370&highlight=

I'd say, unless someone can prove different, that you just might have the lowest prices in the US of A there in Mizzou.

There's a Craigslist ad from a guy about 10 miles from me selling a rick/ face cord of seasoned oak for $30.00 delivered. I don't know if it's really 1/3 of a cord or not, but assuming it is...wow. If I had somewhere to put it, and didn't have some blowdowns on my land to clean up I would sure find out.

I don't see how y'all make any money selling for so little.

There's a Craigslist ad from a guy about 10 miles from me selling a rick/ face cord of seasoned oak for $30.00 delivered. I don't know if it's really 1/3 of a cord or not, but assuming it is...wow. If I had somewhere to put it, and didn't have some blowdowns on my land to clean up I would sure find out.

I don't see how y'all make any money selling for so little.

I've seen a few here that are close to that, but they are obvious small-timers with very questionable wares. Sounds like most of the guys in 'indiansprings' area are legit.

I buy green and semi seasoned oak for $105 a cord stacked in my trailer all day. It's pretty easy to fine true cords around here for $105-$120. I have to pick it up for that.

Scott

Hello Guys

I sell mostly green wood for $120 per cord in larger chunks for boilers and one of the local Guy is selling seasoned wood by the rick for $30 delivered in the back of a old plymoth minivan. I have a hard time getting seasoned wood as I sell everything almost as soon as I get it, Selling year-old tops now out of wood here.

i am a firewood retailer, this year i am really pushing the sales and my results are great. in the 10 or so years i have been selling firewood in this area i have heard a lot of strange ideas. some of the complaints, comments, or questions are:
1. the wood is too dry.
2. the wood wont burn at all
3. that is too much wood, i dont want it all
4. i ordered a full cord, got a full cord but now after the delivery i want to negotiate price.
5. the check is bad, a month later i am the bad guy for suggesting they make good or i will turn it over to the sheriffs department.
6. the wood is full of bugs
7. the wood is dirty
8. i want the wood stacked on the deck of my 3rd floor apartment, that doesnt cost extra does it.
9. you dont charge for delivery right?
10. it is sunday, during a blizzard, what do you mean you cant deliver wood within the hour. (2 hours wasnt soon enough)
11. i want the quantity discount, but the delivery needs to be split between 3 houses 15 miles apart.
12. i have a tree in my yard, you can have it if you remove it.

and the latest that inspired me to write this thread:
after quoting a price that i told myself i wouldnt do anymore because it was too low, she calls back and says "my husband wants to know if you can drop off a couple of pieces so we can try it out first". i explain that i am far too busy right now to drive around giving out free samples, she hangs up.

my closest delivery is 11 miles, the average about 30 miles one way. very few people around here buy wood before winter, most wait until this week, the week before thanksgiving after it has been snowing for a week. i am delivering 7 days a week and today i am taking off from milling for the entire day to run deliveries. dont get me wrong, i am not complaining, it will be sunny when the sun comes up, thermometer says it is 10 degrees right now, but about a $1000 day if i can get them all delivered.

You're in luck! Most accidents happen within 5 miles of home. You work farther away than that. Safety First! :)

I had a good one today. Now in southern california people can be kinda snobbish, not alot of beater mobiles on the road. I got a 79 f250 4x4 stakeside krylon black paint job. I pull up to the light at an off ramp loaded with wood and a bum that was asking for money says, " Hey buddy sorry bout the hard times , don't worry things will get better, beats bein me! I about sharted my pants. That amused me. People always give me dirty looks and don't get too close to me on the highway driving that thing, I love it.

I had a good one today. Now in southern california people can be kinda snobbish, not alot of beater mobiles on the road. I got a 79 f250 4x4 stakeside krylon black paint job. I pull up to the light at an off ramp loaded with wood and a bum that was asking for money says, " Hey buddy sorry bout the hard times , don't worry things will get better, beats bein me! I about sharted my pants. That amused me. People always give me dirty looks and don't get too close to me on the highway driving that thing, I love it.

I was out there once in my hunting vehicle, a 69 bronco. A car pulled alongside on the freeway, flipping me off, cussing, swerving, and generally really pissed. I hadn't changed speed in miles, hadn't cut anyone off, so I couldn't figure it out, until she went on past and the rear of that volvo was completely covered with 'save the whales' and the like of stickers.

Then I knew, it was pretty funny. (Wonder if she was packing? :biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2:)

I sell maybe two or three cords a year, I am a (personal) firewood hack and nothing else. But I can add to the story. Delivered, stacked and covered wood at the wrong address.

Girl I work with had asked for a cord, she just moved and gave me the wrong address! Her house was 2 houses down! Thought that was funny huh, Story only gets better.....we are out moving the firewood back into my truck (3 hours later), and homeowner (of wrong house) shows up and says, "What the Helllllll ya doing, stealing my wood." Actually he was very nice and just F'n with us, guess you just had to be there.

That was over 20 years ago and whenever I see that guy today he says "Ya, got any wood for me boy."

........ Thought that was funny huh, Story only gets better.....we are out moving the firewood back into my truck (3 hours later), and homeowner (of wrong house) shows up and says, "What the Helllllll ya doing, stealing my wood." Actually he was very nice and just F'n with us, guess you just had to be there. "

As I was reading, I fully expected the punch line to be "shame I didn't get home before you loaded up, I'm looking to buy about that much wood" :laugh:

I think I can contribute to this one. Was asked for weeks by friends and family of an older
Woman if I could get her a load since she didn't have anyone that could cut it for her. I finally had a load loaded up one day and decided I would just make everyone happy and took it to her FREE!! Before I left I told her that some might be a little to big to fit in her heater and to just chunk it over the hill and not worry about it. Before I could even get home had a message that she didn't think she could use the wood I brought her and asked for me to come back and get it. I went back and loaded a one ton dump full with it and gave it to a buddy. Had she used it I probably would have kept her in a full supply of free wood as long as she lived.

Make up a "How To Start A Fire" cheat sheet, along with 10 of the most common questions or mistakes with it. Leave one at every firewood delivery. Might cut back on a lot of of the call backs and D.A. complaints. Preventing even one would be worth the printing costs.

"So mode it be" John, I'm sure that you'll understand that one, lol!

Had a good one yesterday afternoon, delivered a cord to a attorney.

He came out just long enough to pay and said, "See them two big oaks in the horse lot, I want them outta here. I'm talking two 40" plus massive oaks, huge, I asked him if he was sure they were awful nice shadetrees. He's afraid his horse will be standing under them and lightning will strike. I asked him who gets the wood, he says "Hell, you get it all, just get it outta here and pile the limbs for me to burn. The two trees will make 5 cord or more.

It was one of the few exceptionally good wood deliveries we've had. Wish we had more like it. Time to break out the 660.

you may already do this

At the time you would like to start delivering to them send them a post card that they can save 10% by ordering early.. and during this week when they start calling raise the price 10% They wont order early and you can get 10% more.....if they complain about the price remind them that they could have saved eariler.

as far as bugs and dirt go let them know that this is "c" grade fire wood and that you offer dirt free "B" grade fire wood at 30% higher cost and dirt and bug free Grade A firewood at 50% higher cost. Mamm this is like burger king you can have it your way....but it'll cost

Last edited:
Had a good one yesterday afternoon, delivered a cord to a attorney.

He came out just long enough to pay and said, "See them two big oaks in the horse lot, I want them outta here. I'm talking two 40" plus massive oaks, huge, I asked him if he was sure they were awful nice shadetrees. He's afraid his horse will be standing under them and lightning will strike. I asked him who gets the wood, he says "Hell, you get it all, just get it outta here and pile the limbs for me to burn. The two trees will make 5 cord or more.

It was one of the few exceptionally good wood deliveries we've had. Wish we had more like it. Time to break out the 660.

I don't think the horse or tree is what will cause the lightning to strike!!

Latest posts

Back