Firewood sellers: Ever figure your hourly rate?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrider

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Through the years I have always wondered how much I actually make per hour selling firewood. I sell about 60-70 cords per year and do this on the side so I am not dependent upon the money, but it sure is nice for some of those pet projects you need extra money for.

I have kept track from time to time, just on an hourly basis of cutting/splitting/delivering when I have had small jobs on certain nearby farms. (small jobs as in 10-15 cords that I can cut, split, season there and not have to handle again until I go to deliver it -yes they let me store it on their property till it was seasoned) I also included load and delivery time and fuel and came up with $35 an hour.

This year, I plan on keeping track of all the time I spend on all of my sites as well as fuel, chains, etc. and am curious as to what it will turn out to be. I am also curious if anyone else has kept track of their hourly rate and if they are willing to share.

Don't forget equipment cost and wear/tear. Sounds like it takes some equipment to get the hourly rate that high, but I don't know your details.

I know there is no way I make $35 a hour . If I make $10 I am doing good and I probably don't do that . I am old and slow ,and come to think of it so are my saws , truck and splitter . Its a good thing I like doing it and it is just for a couple extra bucks .

Don't forget equipment cost and wear/tear. Sounds like it takes some equipment to get the hourly rate that high, but I don't know your details.

I didn't include wear/tear (maintenence) but I have commercial grade saws that don't need much to run forever. I also didn't include the cost of equipment because I burn wood in my OWB and my mom and sister burn a fair amount of wood too, so I would own my stuff for doing that anyway-yes including commercial grade saws because I am of the mindset of spending more upfront for something thats built to last. As I said, this isn't a primary business for me so I don't look at like that with the start up cost.

Depending upon how far I have to go to cut the wood, whether or not anything breaks down during the process, and how far I have to go to deliver it, I usually make $10-15/hr. I had a round trip of 40 miles to cut my last cord of wood, but delivery was just right down the street. I ended up making about $12.50/hr on that one. I also include the time that it takes me to clean/maintain my saws and equipment in my hourly rate. As one member of this forum said before, "Firewood is blood money!" It is hard work for just a few bucks, but in the end I am always glad that I got to make a little extra cash doing something that I enjoy.

I sell a little firewood on the side for 3 reasons: 1. I enjoy cutting firewood. 2. I need the exercise. 3. Because I have to always be available for my full-time job, I can't just get a part-time job where I am required to be "at work" at certain hours. If I am cutting firewood and something comes up, I can just stop what I am doing and pick up with it later when I have time.

They want you to pay taxes on income? Join
the ranks of the responsible productive american

Give the guy a break. He works his butt off on the side to make a little extra cash instead of bellying up to the gov't for a handout. I call that "responsible" and "productive." Besides, when I did my taxes the last few years, I found out that you have to make at least $600 in profit to owe ANY tax liability on a self-employment business. Considering all of the equipment that I have bought each year to cut firewood with, I have yet to break the $600 barrier. And so what if someone makes $5,000 in profit selling firewood and doesn't pay taxes on it, I bet he pays taxes on his primary income. At least the guy worked hard and earned the money himself!

Don't bring this thread down by calling someone out like that. That is not what we are all about on this site.

Give the guy a break. He works his butt off on the side to make a little extra cash instead of bellying up to the gov't for a handout. I call that "responsible" and "productive." Besides, when I did my taxes the last few years, I found out that you have to make at least $600 in profit to owe ANY tax liability on a self-employment business. Considering all of the equipment that I have bought each year to cut firewood with, I have yet to break the $600 barrier. And so what if someone makes $5,000 in profit selling firewood and doesn't pay taxes on it, I bet he pays taxes on his primary income. At least the guy worked hard and earned the money himself!

Don't bring this thread down by calling someone out like that. That is not what we are all about on this site.[/QUOTE

RITE ON !!! I've payed taxes all my life, still do. If I can make some cash money by the sweat of my brow then you betcha' I'm gonna stuff it my pocket. Hell, with the way my tax dollar is handed out to the dead beats and baby factories around here,,not to mention the way Uncle Sam throws it away over seas and on Wall Street,,no question about a little cash money..It's like the John Prine song,"I Aint Hurtin; Nobody"..

+1 on the "knowing the actual rate would be to depressing to find out".

I do it 1) because I can 2)I have made some great friends in the tree business who keep me supplied 3) I desperately need the exercise 4) I burn for myself as well so I'd have the stuff regardless.

Im a small time seller so I split it when I have it or can get around to it. I up the exercise factor by maximizing fiskars use and only break out the hydraulics when I have to "rush fill" or the pile of nasties is getting in my way. This has the added benefit of not costing me gas or a gym membership.

If im lucky I might make 10-12/hr for time that would otherwise be spent doing 12oz curls on the couch.

Don't bring this thread down by calling someone out like that. That is not what we are all about on this site.

If there is not $600 of annual profit in your operation after expenses, I would consider doing something else.

Costs me 100 a cord to have firewood logs delivered to my place ,sell an honest cord 210 ,i figure 10 bucks gas/maint per cord and 4 man hours to cut/split/stack then load the trlr for deliv ,nets me 25/hr not gettin rich fast lol part time income pays for toys jk

Don't bring this thread down by calling someone out like that. That is not what we are all about on this site.[/QUOTE

RITE ON !!! I've payed taxes all my life, still do. If I can make some cash money by the sweat of my brow then you betcha' I'm gonna stuff it my pocket. Hell, with the way my tax dollar is handed out to the dead beats and baby factories around here,,not to mention the way Uncle Sam throws it away over seas and on Wall Street,,no question about a little cash money..It's like the John Prine song,"I Aint Hurtin; Nobody"..
Not to mention how good old Indiana spends it like pouring piss out of a boot. Scott

i didnt call the guy out or say that he should obey the law. He just said he wanted to avoid letting them know he was making money and not reporting it, and i just pointed out that many of us do abide by the law so taxes wont be so high for other folks.
its everyone personal decision to do what they think is the right thing, and which laws to ignore.

Oh, and i work my butt off at all 3 of my jobs.

Through the years I have always wondered how much I actually make per hour selling firewood. I sell about 60-70 cords per year and do this on the side so I am not dependent upon the money, but it sure is nice for some of those pet projects you need extra money for.

I have kept track from time to time, just on an hourly basis of cutting/splitting/delivering when I have had small jobs on certain nearby farms. (small jobs as in 10-15 cords that I can cut, split, season there and not have to handle again until I go to deliver it -yes they let me store it on their property till it was seasoned) I also included load and delivery time and fuel and came up with $35 an hour.

This year, I plan on keeping track of all the time I spend on all of my sites as well as fuel, chains, etc. and am curious as to what it will turn out to be. I am also curious if anyone else has kept track of their hourly rate and if they are willing to share.

Just wondering what you are selling it for per cord, so I know how slow I really am.

Just wondering what you are selling it for per cord, so I know how slow I really am.

I get $200 for a full cord of oak and $180 for a full cord of mixed hardwood delivered within 10 miles. After that delivery is extra and I
won't deliver much over 20 miles.

I get $200 for a full cord of oak and $180 for a full cord of mixed hardwood delivered within 10 miles. After that delivery is extra and I
won't deliver much over 20 miles.

Yep, I'm slow. I could barely do both loads/hauls in 5 hours.

Usually avg. 5 hours per half with recon, cut/load/haul, split/stack, load/haul/stack, BS, paid, home. + The unexpected, maintenance, some things I can't think of off-hand. $75/5 minus costs. If I'm over 10 I'm doin' good.

Good thing I don't get paid by the hour.

I didn't include wear/tear (maintenence) but I have commercial grade saws that don't need much to run forever. I also didn't include the cost of equipment because I burn wood in my OWB and my mom and sister burn a fair amount of wood too, so I would own my stuff for doing that anyway-yes including commercial grade saws because I am of the mindset of spending more upfront for something thats built to last. As I said, this isn't a primary business for me so I don't look at like that with the start up cost.

It kinda sounds like you started out with $2 million....:msp_unsure:

Back