Firewood sellers: Ever figure your hourly rate?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just my .02.... I think you should reverse your thinking Jrider. Consider your tools truck and time as business expense and think of your wood as a benefit. I think somewhere down the road you will need repair on your stuff. Your annual production is a number that will definitely show you some wear on you and your equipment. BUT...to each his own:msp_thumbup:

I buy all mine cut split and delivered too me for 100-125 throw it on my truck deliver it for 225 I am 50 hr after expenses

I buy all mine cut split and delivered too me for 100-125 throw it on my truck deliver it for 225 I am 50 hr after expenses

This sounds great, but someone is going to have to explain this to me. You buy a cord of wood at $100. You are now out $100. Pretty simple so far, am I correct? You then toss it on you're truck however fast or slow you want. The next step is to proceed to a customers' residence to sell them you're cord at you're new retail price of $225. This is a resonable price for a cord of firewood, so this sale is realistic. You have made back you're initial $100 dollar investment in addition to an extra $25. You have a net profit of $25. Unless you can handle and deliver alot of wood at once to only one location this net profit seems kind of small for one cord of wood, especially if you figure in you're cost of fuel. At well over $3/gallon it doesn't take too many miles of driving to a customers' home to burn $10 worth in fuel, not to mention doing it in a truck that is carrying a cord of wood.

Afansler, I am in no way making fun of you. Unless you're post was a joke I just don't see how one can make any money with the above mentioned strategy. However, if you are making money, you are on to something real big.

You know what guys, nevermind. On second thought the net profit is $125-not figuring expenses. I don't know why I put so much thought into that. Afansler, you're a freakin' genius. Why do I bother?

Last edited:
The truck hold 2 cords. $225 is what we sell full cords for half cord is $125 and quarter are $75 which takes the profit a little higher. Too many people compete on price alone and under value their product. (I didn't want to stir the hornets nest I knew you would figure out the math)

The truck hold 2 cords. $225 is what we sell full cords for half cord is $125 and quarter are $75 which takes the profit a little higher. Too many people compete on price alone and under value their product. (I didn't want to stir the hornets nest I knew you would figure out the math)

It sounds like you have a good thing going for you. I wouldn't worry about stirring the hornets nest. As far as figuring out the very simple math, yes, I did get around to it. I am used to using my back, not my head. Some folks say that is the opposite of what you should do but at least I am in good physical shape. So I have something to show for it.

this sounds great, but someone is going to have to explain this to me. You buy a cord of wood at $100. You are now out $100. Pretty simple so far, am i correct? You then toss it on you're truck however fast or slow you want. The next step is to proceed to a customers' residence to sell them you're cord at you're new retail price of $225. This is a resonable price for a cord of firewood, so this sale is realistic. You have made back you're initial $100 dollar investment in addition to an extra $25. You have a net profit of $25. Unless you can handle and deliver alot of wood at once to only one location this net profit seems kind of small for one cord of wood, especially if you figure in you're cost of fuel. At well over $3/gallon it doesn't take too many miles of driving to a customers' home to burn $10 worth in fuel, not to mention doing it in a truck that is carrying a cord of wood.

Afansler, i am in no way making fun of you. Unless you're post was a joke i just don't see how one can make any money with the above mentioned strategy. However, if you are making money, you are on to something real big.

lol

Latest posts

Back