Firewood Showdown: MAC 10-10 A vs. STIHL MS290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't really comment on the Macs, never owned one (yet!). I can comment on the 029 though. My Grandad bought one about 20 years ago. I bought an 026 the same year. The 029 was slightly faster when they were both new, but definately is not faster now. The 029 is worn out, and the 026 is just as strong as it ever was. They have been treated very close to the same and cut about the same amount. If you are reading this and contemplating buying a saw that you are going to use a lot for a long time, do yourself a favor and buy a pro saw of whatever make you like best. The 291 (or whatever they call it now) might be cheaper initially but I believe it false economy.
On the issue of the old saws being heavy and slow, it just aint so. The way I get past them feeling too heavy is by first running a tank through my J-reds 51, its feeling a little heavy by then, so I run a tank through my J-reds 621, by that time it feels pretty heavy too, then I run a tank through my 90. Then drink a cup of coffee, refuel the 51 and it feels light again!

Heck, this is nothing. The box store Poulan 5020 lovefest thread got 40% more (14 pages). I'm staying out of that one for sure ,unless of course, someone starts racing it against a 290!

Sounds like a good idea!For Poulan.What's a new 290 cost?New from the dealer?Sure would be a shame for some old box store junk to beat up on one of those exclusive, dealer only ,over priced, saws.If they even ran close, the 290 would still be embarrassed.At almost double the price and 6+ more cc's the 290 should cut the bar clean off the Poulan, but somehow, I doubt it would.Oh, and no flippy caps on the Poulan either.Another plus.

Too bad I run out of time this last weekend or thats just exactly what I had planned to do. But alas, the 290 went back to its owner today. Easy fix, it just needed one of those $15 proprietary Stihl fuel lines.

Probably would have been a good run as the 290 had that goofy safety chain on it.

Mark that is way to funny. I would have been glued to the computer reading everything and cracking up.

Dang, ya'll still squaking over this?

I shouldnt post this picture as I'll probably never live it down, but this shows that I have owned some Stihls, including a 029 Super.

This was the last time I owned it as well and it was gone shortly afterwords as I then bought my first brand new Husqvarna.

attachment.php

Holy Crap!! I thought I stumbled into the WTFThread. :hmm3grin2orange:

Oh, and your right Mark. I saved a copy of this pic! :msp_sneaky:

:cheers:
Gregg,

Kind of like getting caught with an overweight ugly chick, huh?:msp_wink: That saw looks dang fine in your mits.

Can't really comment on the Macs, never owned one (yet!). I can comment on the 029 though. My Grandad bought one about 20 years ago. I bought an 026 the same year. The 029 was slightly faster when they were both new, but definately is not faster now. The 029 is worn out, and the 026 is just as strong as it ever was. They have been treated very close to the same and cut about the same amount. If you are reading this and contemplating buying a saw that you are going to use a lot for a long time, do yourself a favor and buy a pro saw of whatever make you like best. The 291 (or whatever they call it now) might be cheaper initially but I believe it false economy.
On the issue of the old saws being heavy and slow, it just aint so. The way I get past them feeling too heavy is by first running a tank through my J-reds 51, its feeling a little heavy by then, so I run a tank through my J-reds 621, by that time it feels pretty heavy too, then I run a tank through my 90. Then drink a cup of coffee, refuel the 51 and it feels light again!

Yeah, that might work where you're at, but try cutting wood in this neck of the woods. The Sierras are steep. You can't park the truck anywhere near where the "authorized for take" wood is located. It is always far from the logging road. You gotta lug your saw (not saws), PPE, tools, mix and oil either up a steep side hill several hundred yards, or down a steep side hill several hundred yards. Aint no easy state or national forrest wood here. Hills on logging roads are all 25-30 degrees, some more. Saw weight is a huge issue. I'm in great shape and weight is definately an obstacle.

Yeah, that might work where you're at, but try cutting wood in this neck of the woods. The Sierras are steep. You can't park the truck anywhere near where the "authorized for take" wood is located. It is always far from the logging road. You gotta lug your saw (not saws), PPE, tools, mix and oil either up a steep side hill several hundred yards, or down a steep side hill several hundred yards. Aint no easy state or national forrest wood here. Hills on logging roads are all 25-30 degrees, some more. Saw weight is a huge issue. I'm in great shape and weight is definately an obstacle.

:laugh:

Yes, I know about the mountains, been there, shot elk, packed out on my back. I know modern saws are more user friendly ( I have some). I just use some of the old ones because I think they are a lot of fun. And your right, I don't want to cut wood where you live, sounds like way to much work, besides it would be too far to haul it back to MO to burn. Maybe you should consider getting a mule haul all your stuff in to cut wood. Grandpa said that's what the rich kids had back when he had to walk to school (uphill both ways)

So.......you'd be wise to choose the 10-10A over the Stihl for that work since it's 6.4 ounces lighter than an MS290 according to the scale (despite what internet 'sources' say). Shouldn't you ditch the Stihl since it's over your 13 pound PHO weight cutoff by 8 ounces according to the same scale? :D

I have to wonder.......if the terrain you cut in is so rugged and remote that any extra saw weight is a deal breaker (and you can't haul the saw with a vehicle...........................how do you haul out the wood that you cut???

Last edited:
I would just like to give a big "thanks a lot" to the OP. I've been following this thread the last few days because my dad really likes the McCullochs and has two 10-10's and a Pro Mac 700, oh and a 610. And because I have a Ms-290 Farm Hog.

My father also has a Ms-310 that he hates. Says that thing is absolutely gutless compared to his cherished 10-10 that he got free from a friend 20 years ago because supposedly the piston/jug was scored and would not run. My dad said he got it home and the carb wasn't connected. He said he connected the carb and has been using that saw ever since. He loves the saw because as he says "I can just lean on this thing as much as I want and it just won't bog down". He likes saying "That junk plastic saw is so weak I can't lean on it at all.". Oh and he hates the flippy caps. I've already had to order him one set off fleabay because he is to rough with them. He says "Why can't they just make a cap like this and holds up the Macs caps" "These will never break and they are simple and cheap".

Well anyways I started researching the 10-10's and then started looking at them on E-bay the last few nights and tonight I found a cherry 10-10 where you could make an offer. I thought I would give the seller a "what I thought was a lowball offer he wouldn't take" and he did.
So thanks OP I am now a new owner of a 10-10. My 11 chainsaw now. I think I have that cad thing you guys talk about and my gf just hates it! I started a landscaping business(which is going fantastic) and I keep telling her I need these saws for the business but after about the fourth one I brought home she became suspicious of that story. Well anyways guys have a great night. I'll try to attach a few pictures of the saw if I can figure out how to. Its so much nicer when they just appear in the thread and you don't have to open another browser to see the pictures.

Alright I was too lazy to try and figure out how to upload them correctly. If you want to look at the pictures you will have to click on the links. Sorry.

Take care,
Aaron

View attachment 228651

View attachment 228652

View attachment 228653

View attachment 228654

The macs are just better saws. Better in nearly every way. The only thing a Stihl has over a Mac is brand recognition. But that #### don't matter in the woods.

I would just like to give a big "thanks a lot" to the OP. I've been following this thread the last few days because my dad really likes the McCullochs and has two 10-10's and a Pro Mac 700, oh and a 610. And because I have a Ms-290 Farm Hog.

My father also has a Ms-310 that he hates. Says that thing is absolutely gutless compared to his cherished 10-10 that he got free from a friend 20 years ago because supposedly the piston/jug was scored and would not run. My dad said he got it home and the carb wasn't connected. He said he connected the carb and has been using that saw ever since. He loves the saw because as he says "I can just lean on this thing as much as I want and it just won't bog down". He likes saying "That junk plastic saw is so weak I can't lean on it at all.". Oh and he hates the flippy caps. I've already had to order him one set off fleabay because he is to rough with them. He says "Why can't they just make a cap like this and holds up the Macs caps" "These will never break and they are simple and cheap".

Well anyways I started researching the 10-10's and then started looking at them on E-bay the last few nights and tonight I found a cherry 10-10 where you could make an offer. I thought I would give the seller a "what I thought was a lowball offer he wouldn't take" and he did.
So thanks OP I am now a new owner of a 10-10. My 11 chainsaw now. I think I have that cad thing you guys talk about and my gf just hates it! I started a landscaping business(which is going fantastic) and I keep telling her I need these saws for the business but after about the fourth one I brought home she became suspicious of that story. Well anyways guys have a great night. I'll try to attach a few pictures of the saw if I can figure out how to. Its so much nicer when they just appear in the thread and you don't have to open another browser to see the pictures.

Alright I was too lazy to try and figure out how to upload them correctly. If you want to look at the pictures you will have to click on the links. Sorry.

Take care,
Aaron

View attachment 228651

View attachment 228652

View attachment 228653

View attachment 228654

Whoa. That's nice looking.

Next time you buy a saw, grab a 7-10 or a 700. Lots of interchangeable parts with the 10-10. And you'll never pick the 10-10 up again until something breaks on the 7-10/700. Unless you buy a backup 7-10/700...

Whoa. That's nice looking.

Next time you buy a saw, grab a 7-10 or a 700. Lots of interchangeable parts with the 10-10. And you'll never pick the 10-10 up again until something breaks on the 7-10/700. Unless you buy a backup 7-10/700...

Ya know I bought my dad a Pro-Mac 700 for his birthday last year. My b-day is today and his is on the 20th of March. He has yet to use it. I actually called him yesterday and told him if you aren't ever going to use it that I was going to come pick it up. I wanted to try it and see how it cuts. He said sure come get it. Try it out and make sure everything is working on it correctly.

Take care,
Aaron

I know it looks pretty cherry I thought.
I guess I bought myself a bday present this year :D

So.......you'd be wise to choose the 10-10A over the Stihl for that work since it's 6.4 ounces lighter than an MS290 according to the scale (despite what internet 'sources' say). Shouldn't you ditch the Stihl since it's over your 13 pound PHO weight cutoff by 8 ounces according to the same scale? :D

I have to wonder.......if the terrain you cut in is so rugged and remote that any extra saw weight is a deal breaker (and you can't haul the saw with a vehicle...........................how do you haul out the wood that you cut???

I had a Mac once, old , slow and nobody carries the parts. I'll stick to Stihls. Zero interest in them ,or Harleys. The Stihls satisfy my mechanical interests enough. All those old yellow saws are yours with no bidding war from me. Your weighty 50'ish cc saw would weigh more if it had a chainbrake, an important safety feature.

You never cut wood on forrest service land before in Cali? You can drive in on the logging road with saws and stuff in the truck, but the trees the forrest service marks for taking are WAY off the road. Easy stuff by the road is always gone first. You have to buck and split the wood where it lays, then man-up and haul the pieces back by the armload to the truck, which, as I stated, is parked on the logging road. And no, you can not use an UTV / ATV to remove the wood as it would be travelling "off-designated roadway". It's usually too steep anyway. A mule would require a trailer and they would be hard to get over most of the old logging roads I've travelled to get my wood. This aint no logging operation with chokers, highlines, skidders etc,,,,. My oldest son goes with me and we usually only get about half the Toyota filled before we're beat. As I said earlier, it's as much recreation / exercise as it is gathering wood for the stove.

I had a Mac once, old , slow and nobody carries the parts. I'll stick to Stihls. Zero interest in them ,or Harleys. The Stihls satisfy my mechanical interests enough. All those old yellow saws are yours with no bidding war from me. Your weighty 50'ish cc saw would weigh more if it had a chainbrake, an important safety feature.

You never cut wood on forrest service land before in Cali? You can drive in on the logging road with saws and stuff in the truck, but the trees the forrest service marks for taking are WAY off the road. Easy stuff by the road is always gone first. You have to buck and split the wood where it lays, then man-up and haul the pieces back by the armload to the truck, which, as I stated, is parked on the logging road. And no, you can not use an UTV / ATV to remove the wood as it would be travelling "off-designated roadway". It's usually too steep anyway. A mule would require a trailer and they would be hard to get over most of the old logging roads I've travelled to get my wood. This aint no logging operation with chokers, highlines, skidders etc,,,,. My oldest son goes with me and we usually only get about half the Toyota filled before we're beat. As I said earlier, it's as much recreation / exercise as it is gathering wood for the stove.

So you carry individual pieces of wood down or up a 30% grade 200 yards?

I would take my 10-10 over my cousins 290. Ive used both for ext. periods of time and in less than ideal terrain. I dont think the 290 is junk, but I do like the 10-10 better. I think that if someones 10-10 was slow its probably not tuned correctly. No it doesnt turn the rpms of the 290, but rpms dont help in larger hardwoods when you can lean on the mac and doing the same will stall the clutch on the stihl. Thats a fact. As far as weight goes, the brake on my PM4300 is the bigger one with muffler guard, that does add some weight, but the smaller, clutch cover only brake is light.

Well..... the kind of "mule" I was talking about wasn't the Kawasaki kind, it was the kind you get when you cross a jack and a mare. And I was just kidding, lighten up Frances.

Latest posts

Back