Firewood Showdown: MAC 10-10 A vs. STIHL MS290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You never cut wood on forrest service land before in Cali? You can drive in on the logging road with saws and stuff in the truck, but the trees the forrest service marks for taking are WAY off the road. Easy stuff by the road is always gone first. You have to buck and split the wood where it lays, then man-up and haul the pieces back by the armload to the truck, which, as I stated, is parked on the logging road. And no, you can not use an UTV / ATV to remove the wood as it would be travelling "off-designated roadway". It's usually too steep anyway. A mule would require a trailer and they would be hard to get over most of the old logging roads I've travelled to get my wood. This aint no logging operation with chokers, highlines, skidders etc,,,,. My oldest son goes with me and we usually only get about half the Toyota filled before we're beat. As I said earlier, it's as much recreation / exercise as it is gathering wood for the stove.

That sounds like a real work out for you guys. Two of you, half a Toyota load of wood, and you're all done. That must be some really rugged ground.

What kind of wood are you getting that makes a trip like that worthwhile? Oak, madrone?

Where were you cutting? I might be able to point you to some better conditions.

Last edited:
I would just like to give a big "thanks a lot" to the OP. I've been following this thread the last few days because my dad really likes the McCullochs and has two 10-10's and a Pro Mac 700, oh and a 610. And because I have a Ms-290 Farm Hog.

My father also has a Ms-310 that he hates. Says that thing is absolutely gutless compared to his cherished 10-10 that he got free from a friend 20 years ago because supposedly the piston/jug was scored and would not run. My dad said he got it home and the carb wasn't connected. He said he connected the carb and has been using that saw ever since. He loves the saw because as he says "I can just lean on this thing as much as I want and it just won't bog down". He likes saying "That junk plastic saw is so weak I can't lean on it at all.". Oh and he hates the flippy caps. I've already had to order him one set off fleabay because he is to rough with them. He says "Why can't they just make a cap like this and holds up the Macs caps" "These will never break and they are simple and cheap".

Well anyways I started researching the 10-10's and then started looking at them on E-bay the last few nights and tonight I found a cherry 10-10 where you could make an offer. I thought I would give the seller a "what I thought was a lowball offer he wouldn't take" and he did.
So thanks OP I am now a new owner of a 10-10. My 11 chainsaw now. I think I have that cad thing you guys talk about and my gf just hates it! I started a landscaping business(which is going fantastic) and I keep telling her I need these saws for the business but after about the fourth one I brought home she became suspicious of that story. Well anyways guys have a great night. I'll try to attach a few pictures of the saw if I can figure out how to. Its so much nicer when they just appear in the thread and you don't have to open another browser to see the pictures.

Alright I was too lazy to try and figure out how to upload them correctly. If you want to look at the pictures you will have to click on the links. Sorry.

Take care,
Aaron

View attachment 228651

View attachment 228652

View attachment 228653

View attachment 228654

Hey, Aaron. This is the OP, here. I actually saw this saw on Ebay - nice score! Ya, these 10-10's are nice saws, and as stated - I can lean into them pretty good, and really go through a log quickly. It's a little freight train of a saw! Anyways, enjoy it, and have some fun! :rock:

I had a Mac once, old , slow and nobody carries the parts. .
You said that before, which one?Every saw manufacturer made some bad ones, like the 290 for instance.Not really worth the money.I think McCulloch Motors sort of came apart there at the end when the old guy was more worried about moving London Bridge than he was building good stuff.The 10-10 series are solid performers, you should have got that by now, hearing from people who actually use them.As far as parts are concerned, I don't have any trouble getting parts.

I work in a stihl shop......guess what my go too saws aren't.... :msp_biggrin: Only Stihl's I have are a pair of 024's I paid 25 bucks for and turned one into an 026, wouldn't buy a new one or even a used newer one. My big wood saw is my 288xp or the Homie 770G, followed by the Poulan 5400. Words to live by for those that might be a bit confused and or mildly retarded...Horsepower is for show, torque gets the job done, and weight don't mean #### :msp_w00t:

THANK YOU. TORQUE. GETS. THE JOB. DONE. EXACTOMUNDO.
MAC = TORQUE. Simple math. :clap:

You said that before, which one?Every saw manufacturer made some bad ones, like the 290 for instance.Not really worth the money.I think McCulloch Motors sort of came apart there at the end when the old guy was more worried about moving London Bridge than he was building good stuff.The 10-10 series are solid performers, you should have got that by now, hearing from people who actually use them.As far as parts are concerned, I don't have any trouble getting parts.

I haven't had to replace any parts on my 10-10A yet, but I've seen plenty of parts on ebay, craigs list, and the like. I did replace the fuel line (just to be safe) about 2 years ago, and it was $3.00 - on Ebay. :msp_biggrin:

I haven't had to replace any parts on my 10-10A yet, but I've seen plenty of parts on ebay, craigs list, and the like. I did replace the fuel line (just to be safe) about 2 years ago, and it was $3.00 - on Ebay. :msp_biggrin:

My local sawshop still gets every part I have needed(fuel line ,carb kit)And he is a Stihl dealer.He is also an old logger who likes them old USA built saws even though his sign says "we only repair Stihl products".The only saw he seemed to balk at was my 350 Husky.

You fellas have got me wondering about how many such tests can be won by old saws over much newer models. I've got an old KB7-B 2 man Merc, (Model Profile: KB7-B) that is supposed to be 12HP with a max of 4k rpm using a tranny ratio of 2.57 to 1. It weighs well over 100lbs with bar and chain,etc. Could it cut through a 40" dry oak as fast as a SP125, an 090 ? How about against a 3120XP, or a MS880? Anybody ever seen any comparisons of this nature? I bet we could stir some major arguments over these things.
I'm of the opinion that torque will RULE if and only if, it is applied properly. This is not to imply that a gear-drive saw will outcut a direct in each and every test, obviously it won't.
Igpoe:cheers:

And in conclusion, gang...

"It doesn't matter what you or I consider a lousy saw, as just about everyone will have their own perception anyway - a discussion would be pointless...." -- Saw Troll's 38,216th post - 1/11/12

:hmm3grin2orange:

That sounds like a real work out for you guys. Two of you, half a Toyota load of wood, and you're all done. That must be some really rugged ground.

What kind of wood are you getting that makes a trip like that worthwhile? Oak, madrone?

Where were you cutting? I might be able to point you to some better conditions.

Mostly white oak and a little cedar for starter wood. All of it is less than 22" diameter, most is around 16". I cut around Miwok, Long Barn and Twain Hart because they're close to my cabin (within 4-5 miles or so). U.S. Forrest Service provides the map and tells you where the downed trees are. Wood's not all that heavy, but it's the climbing you gotta do at elevation to get at it and get it loaded. Lot of back and forth w/ 2-3 split pieces under each arm. Toyota really can't hold more than half a load and traverse the roads there. Far too many washouts at the switchbacks.

Fellas, the saw shops around here don't carry old Mac parts, just the common stuff they might use like fuel line, filters, starter rope etc... Even if they did, they're just not my cup'o'tea. I have enough of the old saws and stick to the same brand because they're most familiar to work on. Bars interchangeable etc...

I had a Mac once, old , slow and nobody carries the parts. I'll stick to Stihls. Zero interest in them ,or Harleys. The Stihls satisfy my mechanical interests enough. All those old yellow saws are yours with no bidding war from me. Your weighty 50'ish cc saw would weigh more if it had a chainbrake, an important safety feature.

The 10-10A that the OP used in the original run against the MS290, and the 10-10A that Mark weighed for the scale pics BOTH weigh LESS than your MS290.

The short chainbrake clutch cover, for those that can't "man up" enough to run a saw without one, adds a bit of weight to be sure. The muffler guard version of the CB clutch cover weighs alot more. That cover is on the ProMac 10-10 (the saw mentioned in your beloved internet specs source).

You never cut wood on forrest service land before in Cali? You can drive in on the logging road with saws and stuff in the truck, but the trees the forrest service marks for taking are WAY off the road. Easy stuff by the road is always gone first. You have to buck and split the wood where it lays, then man-up and haul the pieces back by the armload to the truck, which, as I stated, is parked on the logging road. And no, you can not use an UTV / ATV to remove the wood as it would be travelling "off-designated roadway". It's usually too steep anyway. A mule would require a trailer and they would be hard to get over most of the old logging roads I've travelled to get my wood. This aint no logging operation with chokers, highlines, skidders etc,,,,. My oldest son goes with me and we usually only get about half the Toyota filled before we're beat. As I said earlier, it's as much recreation / exercise as it is gathering wood for the stove.

Actually.............I HAVE cut wood on forrest service land in Ca. Lassen NF as a matter of fact. Cut up Oak, fir, and madrone blowdowns put down by some nasty storms a few years ago. FILLED the 8' bed of my F250HD up to top of the shell. Cut, carried, and loaded it ALL myself, and ALL with a Homelite C-5 with a 26" hardnose (much heavier saw than either of the ones we're discussing.....see my avatar pic).

You've already made up your mind that the McCulloch 10-10A is "heavy and slow" in comparison to your MS290. You've consistantly ignored and discounted evidence to the contrary posted by many of us that HAVE ran both saws. You solely rely on your experience with your MS290 and ONE McCulloch (of unknown model, vintage, and condition) and internet "facts" put up by somebody you don't know (and who isn't available to question here). THIS is what frustrates me.

I don't give a rats ass what you or anybody else thinks about my "weighty 50-ish cc saw" (that's a whole 2.5cc less than your even more "weighty" MS290). If you're only going to ignore what the 'other side' puts forth (including pics of saws on scales, and ACTUAL EXPERIENCES) then why bother joining the discussion? You cover your ears when you don't hear what you want, then repeat the same unfounded crap over and over.....:bang:

Last edited:
Mostly white oak and a little cedar for starter wood. All of it is less than 22" diameter, most is around 16". I cut around Miwok, Long Barn and Twain Hart because they're close to my cabin (within 4-5 miles or so). U.S. Forrest Service provides the map and tells you where the downed trees are. Wood's not all that heavy, but it's the climbing you gotta do at elevation to get at it and get it loaded. Lot of back and forth w/ 2-3 split pieces under each arm. Toyota really can't hold more than half a load and traverse the roads there. Far too many washouts at the switchbacks.

Fellas, the saw shops around here don't carry old Mac parts, just the common stuff they might use like fuel line, filters, starter rope etc... Even if they did, they're just not my cup'o'tea. I have enough of the old saws and stick to the same brand because they're most familiar to work on. Bars interchangeable etc...

It's fine that they're not your 'cup of tea'. The problem arises when you keep trying to say that they're something that they're not. The MS290 isn't a bad saw either. Just not our 'cup of tea'. When I suggested that you dump the MS290 in favor of a 10-10A for your strenuous firewood work, it was a tongue in cheek jab at you for continuing to flat out IGNORE the FACT that the 10-10A weighs less than the Stihl (since you had just stated that weight was an 'obstacle' for you in your cutting excursions).

This didn't start out as a "Stihl MS290's are absolute junk and McCulloch 10-10's are the best firewood saw ever made" thread. You came in and basically said the OP was FOS because the 10-10 was "heavy and slow". You jumped into somebody elses thread, then refused to listen to any input from folks with experience. You MADE the thread into a MS290 vs 10-10 fiasco....

Last edited:
I don't know the original poster and you don't like the spec listed I got off the internet we're both sharing at this moment. I have to mention the original thread is titled ,,,"Mac 10-10 vs 290". Let's just end this before you waste anymore time. They're both heavy, so ignore me and go to work, it's Tuesday.

Last edited:
I particularly appreciate the exceptional A/V system on my 10-10!:rock:

:cheers:

Poge

Smartass. Way to throw in a red herring Poge.

And in conclusion, gang...

"It doesn't matter what you or I consider a lousy saw, as just about everyone will have their own perception anyway - a discussion would be pointless...." -- Saw Troll's 38,216th post - 1/11/12

:hmm3grin2orange:

Nobody invited you in here. If you don't like the discussion, get the frock out. Take yer trollin' somewhere else.....:D

Last edited:
They're both heavy, so ignore me and go to work, it's Tuesday.

Smartest thing you've said through this whole thing. I took today off, as I need to swap out the alternator in the wife's car today. Been in this thread procrastinating, as it's PISSING down rain and blowing like crazy here. Can't put it off any longer. I think we need to go cut some damn firewood someday. I'm in the Santa Rosa area, about two hiours from Sac. There's at least one AS member who lives in Sac that'd be up for some cutting too (once his gimpy leg heals from the LAST time he went cutting). Maybe I'll have another 10-10A by then. If not, you can at least try my PM700 or 7-10A. My PM700 with the 24" B/C on it would be a good matchup for your 039 with the 25" B/C. I'll also have my SP-81 and he'll have his PM800. Those are 82cc evolutions of the 10-10. Just a bit heavier, but with MUCH MUCH more power, and with AV. I promise I won't say a single unkind word towards your MS290.:cheers:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back