Firewood Showdown: MAC 10-10 A vs. STIHL MS290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian you STOLE that 450 if you got it for $10. That saw will make an 044/046 nervous...:D

eccentric.. I see you on here all the time and by now... Im sure you understand I LOVE old homies. Most people think they're junk and sell them cheap or throw them away. I buy a lot of small engine stuff to fix and resell... Just so happened a guy called me Saturday about a couple push mowers... A couple old saws.. and some other stuff. He said he had a 12" craftsman that had a broken recoil dog... And a 20" homelite. I figured the craftsman would be a woodshark in craftsman clothes with a 14" and the old homie would be an xl12. So i get up there and he has an s25da in craftsman clothes in mint shape with original case... And that homelite 450 with a 36" bar. I kept my poker face and asked what he wanted for the saws... He said ten a piece. He said the homelite didn't have full power. I bought the rest of the crap he had and hi tailed it home to see if she'd run... Grinning the whole way. I got home and all it needed was the carb tuned. :) Look at my recent threads... I posted one Saturday with a pic of the 450

eccentric.. I see you on here all the time and by now... Im sure you understand I LOVE old homies. Most people think they're junk and sell them cheap or throw them away. I buy a lot of small engine stuff to fix and resell... Just so happened a guy called me Saturday about a couple push mowers... A couple old saws.. and some other stuff. He said he had a 12" craftsman that had a broken recoil dog... And a 20" homelite. I figured the craftsman would be a woodshark in craftsman clothes with a 14" and the old homie would be an xl12. So i get up there and he has an s25da in craftsman clothes in mint shape with original case... And that homelite 450 with a 36" bar. I kept my poker face and asked what he wanted for the saws... He said ten a piece. He said the homelite didn't have full power. I bought the rest of the crap he had and hi tailed it home to see if she'd run... Grinning the whole way. I got home and all it needed was the carb tuned. :) Look at my recent threads... I posted one Saturday with a pic of the 450

Great deal Brian! You made out like a bandit. I have a Craftsman 2.1A (red Poulan 25DA). Same saw as yours, but 34cc instead of 38. I'll check out your started threads now. $10 for the Poulan/Craftsman is a steal. $10 for a Homelite 450 with a 36" bar is way beyond that. :clap:

Dang, ya'll still squaking over this?

I shouldnt post this picture as I'll probably never live it down, but this shows that I have owned some Stihls, including a 029 Super.

This was the last time I owned it as well and it was gone shortly afterwords as I then bought my first brand new Husqvarna.

attachment.php

This picture will haunt you for the rest of your AS life...you know that right?

Dang this things still going?

I really am surprised I ended up in a Mac love fest, what the heck? I just wanted to show some facts in this one.

I see all the Mac 10 lovers really stepped up to the plate and put there money where there mouth is when I offered up those 2 Macs. :ices_rofl: Oh well, they can set here a while longer just being ate up with Poulan envy. :msp_biggrin:

I'm just glad at this point that Brian didnt catch me sneaking over to Plymouth Indiana to snatch up that sweet Poulan Pro 395 out from under him in is hometown. :givebeer:

Love them

I have 2 Mac 10-10's

1 is a 10-10 automatic and one is a Pro Mac 10-10. They are my favorite saws and I have been able to outcut any other saws I have been up against in the same class.

I really love the pro 10-10 since I put the 20" bar on it. Cuts like a dream!!

I really am surprised I ended up in a Mac love fest, what the heck? I just wanted to show some facts in this one.

I see all the Mac 10 lovers really stepped up to the plate and put there money where there mouth is when I offered up those 2 Macs. :ices_rofl: Oh well, they can set here a while longer just being ate up with Poulan envy. :msp_biggrin:

I'm just glad at this point that Brian didnt catch me sneaking over to Plymouth Indiana to snatch up that sweet Poulan Pro 395 out from under him in is hometown. :givebeer:

Gas prices are up, and we have to pay it. Doesn't mean when the price of 10-10's go up due to AS member "luvin" on them, we'll pay it. ;) LMFAO!!! Lemme know when you plan on selling one of your (127) 245A's, tho. ;). Gotta f*** with ya, Mark.:D

Gas prices are up, and we have to pay it. Doesn't mean when the price of 10-10's go up due to AS member "luvin" on them, we'll pay it. ;) LMFAO!!! Lemme know when you plan on selling one of your (127) 245A's, tho. ;). Gotta f*** with ya, Mark.:D

Got to start somewhere, its easier to come down then go up!

I was just ribbing everyone anyway, as your the only one who even inquired. :)

For the record, I dont see any 245's leaving here anytime soon. I got the 7-10 just to compare it to the 245 as all the Mac guys talked them up so well. I have to say after a ton of work on it, its a pretty darn good one but if any leave, it will be the 7-10 and not the 245. :givebeer:

Well I'll admit that I ready this crappy book/thread from cover to cover because I am bored I guess. I figure heck I read the whole thread I may as well post my opinion like everybody esle. I have owned a few saws being talked about in this thread also.

The 10-10 will out run a 290...and weigh LESS doing it, anybody that was at the Greggs first POULAN GTG and ran any of my 10-10's knows this.

A 306 will out run a 041...I've seen it first hand, (pretty proud of my old mans saw that day)

A pro mac 700 and 7-10 are great running beautiful sounding light weight saws that will pull a 28'' bar ALMOST as good as a 245A I've owned them both and have tried it back to back...but they will not even come close to pulling a 32'' bar as well as a ms440 or ms460, I've ran the 70cc macs back to back on the same outing with the 440,460 stihls cutting my own firewood and have shut the 700 off to fire up the 460 in the same 30'' cut and thought man why do I even pizz with these saws when the 460 is so much faster? My macs were not wore out junk either...ask the Duke he's the one that got both of my 70cc macs from me and was totally impressed with them. I'm not into comparing older to new saws but everybody else was on this thread so it fits right in...I think.

I have not owned a mac 850 to compare the 460 to but I don't think from what I seen in the video earlier of the 850 in the pine it could woop a good running 460 too bad if at all. My money would be on the 460 actually.:taped:

Go ahead and bash/beat me it's my opinion and everybody else is giving theirs.

You did WHAT?!?!?! I must have been at work when this happened!!!! Details? Im not mad at you bud... You deserve it. Besides... I can let one get by me every now and then for someone who will appreciate it more than I do... Hell, you probably tucked it in to bed that night and my girl won't let me have saws in the house.... LOL

Got to start somewhere, its easier to come down then go up!

I was just ribbing everyone anyway, as your the only one who even inquired. :)

For the record, I dont see any 245's leaving here anytime soon. I got the 7-10 just to compare it to the 245 as all the Mac guys talked them up so well. I have to say after a ton of work on it, its a pretty darn good one but if any leave, it will be the 7-10 and not the 245. :givebeer:

Ya, I figured I was the member"s" who inquired. haha! I'm anxious to try out the 245. Very. I'll find out Thursday if I got one or not (shhhh). LOL

You know you're a closet McCulloch man Mark!:jester:

When did you offer up 2 Macs? I remember you working on that 7-10A recently, but don't remember seeing anything in the SM thread or classifieds. If it was in feebay...................they're easy to miss amoung the sea if listings. Also, if those Macs you offered up were 10-10's and 7-10's............well most of us Mac 10 lovers (LOL) already have those. Gotta let the unwashed masses have a chance at them and come to the light!:D

You did WHAT?!?!?! I must have been at work when this happened!!!! Details? Im not mad at you bud... You deserve it. Besides... I can let one get by me every now and then for someone who will appreciate it more than I do... Hell, you probably tucked it in to bed that night and my girl won't let me have saws in the house.... LOL

I sleep with mine next to me on my Craftsman tool box. :rock: hahaha...just for any "in the night" intruders. My girl thinks it's hot, so I guess I can't bomb on her too much tonight. :givebeer:

Well I'll admit that I ready this crappy book/thread from cover to cover because I am bored I guess. I figure heck I read the whole thread I may as well post my opinion like everybody esle. I have owned a few saws being talked about in this thread also.

The 10-10 will out run a 290...and weigh LESS doing it, anybody that was at the Greggs first POULAN GTG and ran any of my 10-10's knows this.

A 306 will out run a 041...I've seen it first hand, (pretty proud of my old mans saw that day)

A pro mac 700 and 7-10 are great running beautiful sounding light weight saws that will pull a 28'' bar ALMOST as good as a 245A I've owned them both and have tried it back to back...but they will not even come close to pulling a 32'' bar as well as a ms440 or ms460, I've ran the 70cc macs back to back on the same outing with the 440,460 stihls cutting my own firewood and have shut the 700 off to fire up the 460 in the same 30'' cut and thought man why do I even pizz with these saws when the 460 is so much faster? My macs were not wore out junk either...ask the Duke he's the one that got both of my 70cc macs from me and was totally impressed with them. I'm not into comparing older to new saws but everybody else was on this thread so it fits right in...I think.

I have not owned a mac 850 to compare the 460 to but I don't think from what I seen in the video earlier of the 850 in the pine it could woop a good running 460 too bad if at all. My money would be on the 460 actually.:taped:

Go ahead and bash/beat me it's my opinion and everybody else is giving theirs.

I agree with most all of that, no bashing here. I thought the 32" on the 7-10 was pretty funny when it was brought up as well.

Pretty much right on with the 700 and 7-10 against a 245 as well. I will say that the 245 will whip a 700 eaiser then it will the 7-10 though. If the 7-10 has the better chain it might be the winner.

I would also say your right about the 70 cc macs against the 044.046 as well. I would sneak a Poulan 4200 in against them though, I think with a long bar it would handle the 044 with not much problem, maybe not the 046 though.

The 4200 will whip the 70cc Macs as well, but we know the 4200 is quite a bit heavier.

When did you offer up 2 Macs? I remember you working on that 7-10A recently, but don't remember seeing anything in the SM thread or classifieds. If it was in feebay...................they're easy to miss amoung the sea if listings. Also, if those Macs you offered up were 10-10's and 7-10's............well most of us Mac 10 lovers (LOL) already have those. Gotta let the unwashed masses have a chance at them and come to the light!:D

Uh oh, Mark - you're in a corner now, buddy. LMFAO!!! I did just see 3 or 4 10-10's on feebay tonight. Not sure if they're still goin'.......

It was in the Auto RV and I jumped on it at the last minute, had to make a fast run from Hammond after work to get there in time. It was not as good a deal as yours though.

No Chris says I'm a closet Homelite fan.

I'm not looking to really move the Macs, I just kinda mentioned it in this thread as a experiment.

Working on that 7-10 just reafirmed that I'm not in love with those Mac's at all and any of those could be moved.

Last edited:
I agree with most all of that, no bashing here. I thought the 32" on the 7-10 was pretty funny when it was brought up as well.

Pretty much right on with the 700 and 7-10 against a 245 as well. I will say that the 245 will whip a 700 eaiser then it will the 7-10 though. If the 7-10 has the better chain it might be the winner.

I would also say your right about the 70 cc macs against the 044.046 as well. I would sneak a Poulan 4200 in against them though, I think with a long bar it would handle the 044 with not much problem, maybe not the 046 though.

The 4200 will whip the 70cc Macs as well, but we know the 4200 is quite a bit heavier.

I agree with the 4200 over the macs and the 440. The 4200 is a very good 69cc torque saw and would'nt flinch at a long bar. In fact I've been in the market for a 4200 in decent condition for a while along with the other poulans in that family but everybodys buying them up on ebay like their some kinda good saw or something...was'nt like that when I built my poulan collection the 1st time around.(DANG POULAN STICKY LOL)

[video=youtube;n21Nn808hPM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n21Nn808hPM[/video]

I will be getting a 36 inch bar with some .404 for this saw, lets see a 460 pull that.

Back