******firewood storage*********

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demc570

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
i know this is been covered many times before,but i always looking for new or better ways to store my firewood,as iam sure others might as well.....i AM GOING TO TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT THIS YEAR,AND I DEBATED FROM USING CIDER BLOCKS,BUT SOME SUGGEST THEY WILL SINK IN WET AREAS WHICH I HAVE.I THOUGHT OF PUTTING POST IN THE GROUND AND BUILDING FRAMES.... THEN THERES SKIDS IDEA BUT NOT FOUND OF THE SKIDS! SO WHAT HAS WORKED BEST FOR YOU??:popcorn: thanks in advance!:bowdown:

I store the just cut stuff outdoors on scrap wood and cover it with weighted down metal roofing. The roofing was from a roof over a junky mobile home that I had torn down before building the house here. The next year the firewood goes inside a former man-cave shed. I tore out the shelves in the shed and cut holes in the walls to make it more airy. It holds more than I burn in a winter.

Now, before the experts on every part of the country chime in their "covering firewood prevents it from drying" mandate, I remind everybody that I live in a temperate rain forest and NOT covering firewood turns it into a mushroom growing sponge.

NICE,THANK YOU....thats kinda what i been doing for years and it works.....this next season i thought of trying something different, lol who knows might should leave things alone,but always looking to new ideas....thankyou!!

i know this is been covered many times before,but i always looking for new or better ways to store my firewood,as iam sure others might as well.....i AM GOING TO TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT THIS YEAR,AND I DEBATED FROM USING CIDER BLOCKS,BUT SOME SUGGEST THEY WILL SINK IN WET AREAS WHICH I HAVE.I THOUGHT OF PUTTING POST IN THE GROUND AND BUILDING FRAMES.... THEN THERES SKIDS IDEA BUT NOT FOUND OF THE SKIDS! SO WHAT HAS WORKED BEST FOR YOU??:popcorn: thanks in advance!:bowdown:

I'm really bad about cutting firewood (a lot of it maple and hackberry), leaving it on the ground, and coming back next year and finding piles of rotten mush instead of firewood. I have a lot of fun cutting and splitting, but the hauling and stacking part gets old. I'm cutting a lot of trees this year, I must clear out some woods which have become overgrown to the point of being impassable, and this time I'm doing it different. I'm setting pallets on the ground to form a sort of rectangle shaped platform. This will be the base of my "bin". The walls will also be made of pallets stood on end and nailed/banded together with old lumber I need to use up anyway. I've got some homemade pallet forks attached to the front end loader bucket, and I've got a sheet of plywood tied on to the forks. This gives the loader bucket a lot more capacity for a load of wood, with counterweights added to the rear of the tractor for more stability. That way, I load the tractor, go to the bin and dump it in. I figure that next winter the stuff in my bins will be ready for firewood sale. That should help recover some of the costs of clearing the woods. Finding an unlimited supply of free pallets is the key to this operation, I've been lucky in that.

It's my experience that keeping wood under something (i.e. keeping the rain and snow off of it) will get it to dry faster and keep it drier. Anything. A tarp, old roofing, in a shed where air can blow thru, etc.

I'm keeping my eye on Craigslist for reasonably priced plastic pallets. Between myself and a buddy, for the areas that we have earmarked for wood storage, we need 80 pallets. Plastic vs. wood because of the ground termites in the area.

I'm gonna stack on pallets and wrap with wrapnet this year. Easy to move and deliver. Is a lot of stacking but only once and quantity is guaranteed and the pallet is stable.

I stacked a bunch of wood outside this past summer and have not covered it at all, well for me that will be the last time ever I do that, wet sponges if near correct...
I am now in the process of getting an old shed patched up to get me through next winter and hopefully after that I will have a new shed built...
Outside storage sucks around here

Cheap(free) pallets are the key. Sure, the ones made from lesser materials are shot after a year but all I have into them is a little gas to go get them. I could put them up on bricks. I think the extra "headroom" would be an open invitation for critters to make a home

I'm keeping my eye on Craigslist for reasonably priced plastic pallets. Between myself and a buddy, for the areas that we have earmarked for wood storage, we need 80 pallets. Plastic vs. wood because of the ground termites in the area.

Pallets will last a lot longer on the ground if you soak them in used motor oil. Let the old oil soak completely into the wood first. Old motor oil is a good wood preservative. I'm sure somebody is going to say that it's against the law to do that, so I don't do it myself, I just heard about it from somebody.

I am a big fan of pallets. Free and plentiful. I make 2 ends (think book ends) out of 4 pallets with a diagonal brace to steady them. Then I adjust the middle width based on how much wood I want to stack in one place. If I am really motivated I will screw the middle pallets together. The whole things gets covered (top only) with a tarp to keep the rain and snow off. Let site for 18 plus months and repeat! It lets lots of air flow around, under and through the stack.

The consensus is there is no consensus. Fill your stove, and when you start getting cold, fill it again. If you're not cold when it goes out, don't restart it till you're cold again. If you find yourself not filling it for a couple weeks, get the boat out and go fishing.

Latest posts

Back