firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At my age - it's "how heavy is a cord?"

6,800 lbs if it's Quercus virginianna

Excellent BTU rating for live oak - low sugar, high density, burn time long.

You guys don't have the wilt probelms yet - although there are centers reporting disease in the panhandle. Burning it as firewood does not release disease spores - transporting active disease could....simple rules for storage, available everywhere.

Locust and Hickory are best rated. I read a "cottonwood cordwood for fireplace" ad in the Albuquerque paper...makes me wonder about some people.

180 cubic feet to a loosely piled cord cut to 16'' pieces:Eye:

Ya burn what ya got, tonight it is old telephone poles which are exactly what is needed to get the damp out of this house. I do not need a hot fire that will burn hours. Out west in the BC Interior there is little available but pine, so that is what people brun.

What does a cord of wood go for say in Chicago??

When my dad built his house he made sure the fireplace was huge, a midget could get lost in there. We split maybe 5 cords each year, can't even give the stuff away. Then there is this guy here in town that has a big firewood processor and sells wet sweetgum all day long. Crazy:confused:

The most I ever got for a truck load of firewood was close to
300$. When I was in high school me and the guys needed beer money and would take a truck load of wood and park at the apartments that had fire places on or near campus. Mostly students from miami, here going to FSU, would buy 3 or 4 pieces at 20$ a throw. I helped a lot of guys get laid that winter.:p

They sell little bags of dried wood at gas stations and 7-11s etc here, about the size of a 20 lb bag of potatoes for $5.95 plus tax:confused: Sure hope that will get something for the person buying it besides a cold shoulder.:D

I have seen the same thing around here. I live in southern Illinois. A gas station had a stack of wood. Three or four chuncks of wood held together with a piece of rope. I don't know how much they were selling if for. I bet it was 5 or 6 bucks...

Latest posts

Back