First Aid Kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theswampthing

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So after chopping the tip of my thumb off last week, I was thinking it wound be a good idea to keep a decent FAK in my truck. I did this at home and mama patched me up, but if I was in the woods it would have been a mess. Should have one with my tools at work too I guess, cause the one in the company truck is pretty basic.
What do you fellas keep in your truck?

I know it's dumb of me not too, considering I pretty much spend all my free time in the woods, getting firewood, hunting, fishing, ect. Unfortunately for me, I learn most of life's lessons the hard way :laugh:

Anti-diarrhea pills. For some reason that always hits me when I'm away from home.
Ibuprofin. Great anti-inflammatory meds.
Asprin, Tylenol. For those little headaches.
Bandaids, bandages, antibiotic cream, etc. I have yet to find a longer lasting Band-Aid than a bit of Kleenex wrapped with electrical tape.
Fire extinguisher. Never had to use it yet.
Tweezers, needles. For splinters.

Anti-diarrhea pills. For some reason that always hits me when I'm away from home.
Ibuprofin. Great anti-inflammatory meds.
Asprin, Tylenol. For those little headaches.
Bandaids, bandages, antibiotic cream, etc. I have yet to find a longer lasting Band-Aid than a bit of Kleenex wrapped with electrical tape.
Fire extinguisher. Never had to use it yet.
Tweezers, needles. For splinters.

You forgot one cold IPA for the end of the day, to admire your work with.

I think at some point in time most of us on here have hacked up or cut ourselves in some fashion with an axe or hatchet. I grazed myself pretty good earlier this year across the thumb while I was at my wood splitting area. I got the bleeding to stop finally, but every time I had to flex my thumb to hold or move something I would open it back up. I finally held down the chunk of skin with a couple bandaids wrapped over each other. Crude for sure, but it's all I had sitting around. Not to hijack the thread or anything here....but since we're talking about first aid kits in trucks, let me share a story. Years back a buddy of mine wanted me to go to the range with him to help sight in his shotgun and muzzleloader for the upcoming dear season. I grabbed my spotting scope and a couple of my rifles and away we went. We get there and it's literally elbow to elbow with other hunters sighting in. We grabbed the first bench that opened up. Then they called for a break so people could replace their targets. We hustle down and staple up a couple targets. So after the break was over my friend Mark decided he wants to sight in his Mossberg first and goes at it. I'm looking through my spotting scope and he's hitting very close to the center X, so no problems there. He blasts away a handful more and then decides it's time to switch off to the Knight muzzleloader. Now the knight had been completely broken down weeks prior so he knew he was gonna be way off the first couple shots. As expected, he wasn't even hitting paper, but I could see where his shot were hitting on the berm so I walked him in. Once he got on paper I dialed up the magnification on the scope so all I could see was his target. Satisfied with his results he starts reloading, only this time they yell for a range break again. So we go down and staple up new targets and walk back, meanwhile we're sitting there, these two older gents were still doing their thing downrange. They get back up to the bench they were at and the live fire order is issued. So I'm looking through my scope and I hear BOOOOOMMM!!! Way louder than any shot he sent downrange before! "You didn't even land on the paper" I said. He says back to me: go to my truck and get my first aid kit. With that, I look up and the guys got blood trickling down his face. I hurried up and got his kit for him and helped patch him up. After he was cleaned up we both sat back down and another break was called. So we're both sitting there like lumps because he hadn't even punched any holes in the new targets that were stapled up, so there was no sense in even going down there. They call live fire once again and everyone starts blasting away. I hear him say: hey, have you seen my ramrod? Me: it's gotta be here somewhere, it might've rolled off the table during all the commotion earlier. So we're looking all over the place for this thing and it's no where to be found. I hear him say "oh s--t, I think I shot it downrange!" Once we started backtracking through his past movements we realized when the break was called for target replacement he had seated his 3 pellets of pyrodex and the bullet and left the rod in, while we went down to replace the shot up paper. We were both still oblivious when he seated his primer and let it rip! It must've been like a 3,000 grain bullet trying to leave the barrel.

So after chopping the tip of my thumb off last week, I was thinking it wound be a good idea to keep a decent FAK in my truck. I did this at home and mama patched me up, but if I was in the woods it would have been a mess. Should have one with my tools at work too I guess, cause the one in the company truck is pretty basic.
What do you fellas keep in your truck?

I know it's dumb of me not too, considering I pretty much spend all my free time in the woods, getting firewood, hunting, fishing, ect. Unfortunately for me, I learn most of life's lessons the hard way :laugh:
You know the rules.......pictures or it didn't happen.

I think at some point in time most of us on here have hacked up or cut ourselves in some fashion with an axe or hatchet. I grazed myself pretty good earlier this year across the thumb while I was at my wood splitting area. I got the bleeding to stop finally, but every time I had to flex my thumb to hold or move something I would open it back up. I finally held down the chunk of skin with a couple bandaids wrapped over each other. Crude for sure, but it's all I had sitting around. Not to hijack the thread or anything here....but since we're talking about first aid kits in trucks, let me share a story. Years back a buddy of mine wanted me to go to the range with him to help sight in his shotgun and muzzleloader for the upcoming dear season. I grabbed my spotting scope and a couple of my rifles and away we went. We get there and it's literally elbow to elbow with other hunters sighting in. We grabbed the first bench that opened up. Then they called for a break so people could replace their targets. We hustle down and staple up a couple targets. So after the break was over my friend Mark decided he wants to sight in his Mossberg first and goes at it. I'm looking through my spotting scope and he's hitting very close to the center X, so no problems there. He blasts away a handful more and then decides it's time to switch off to the Knight muzzleloader. Now the knight had been completely broken down weeks prior so he knew he was gonna be way off the first couple shots. As expected, he wasn't even hitting paper, but I could see where his shot were hitting on the berm so I walked him in. Once he got on paper I dialed up the magnification on the scope so all I could see was his target. Satisfied with his results he starts reloading, only this time they yell for a range break again. So we go down and staple up new targets and walk back, meanwhile we're sitting there, these two older gents were still doing their thing downrange. They get back up to the bench they were at and the live fire order is issued. So I'm looking through my scope and I hear BOOOOOMMM!!! Way louder than any shot he sent downrange before! "You didn't even land on the paper" I said. He says back to me: go to my truck and get my first aid kit. With that, I look up and the guys got blood trickling down his face. I hurried up and got his kit for him and helped patch him up. After he was cleaned up we both sat back down and another break was called. So we're both sitting there like lumps because he hadn't even punched any holes in the new targets that were stapled up, so there was no sense in even going down there. They call live fire once again and everyone starts blasting away. I hear him say: hey, have you seen my ramrod? Me: it's gotta be here somewhere, it might've rolled off the table during all the commotion earlier. So we're looking all over the place for this thing and it's no where to be found. I hear him say "oh s--t, I think I shot it downrange!" Once we started backtracking through his past movements we realized when the break was called for target replacement he had seated his 3 pellets of pyrodex and the bullet and left the rod in, while we went down to replace the shot up paper. We were both still oblivious when he seated his primer and let it rip! It must've been like a 3,000 grain bullet trying to leave the barrel.
Ho Lee... That dude was very lucky.

OK. That looks a little tender. Wrap it in protective gauss so not to bump it.
It wasn't bad, I guess, but it would not stop bleeding, the hatchet was so sharp I didn't even feel it. So I went upstairs and showed mama. Throbbing pretty good, but she wrapped it over the top, and then around to put pressure. Running water over it was not a good idea...

Took about a day to stop bleeding, but its healing up nice. Bumped it today splitting wood and said some awful things to the splitter that I regret.

This is likely overkill for the average joe but coming from a FF/medic background...

My in car FAK includes the following:
bag valve mask (for CPR)
Tourniquets,
Pelvic binder
SAM splints
Benadryl
Albuterol inhaler
Pepcid
Lots of bandaging material
IV fluids and start kits
Cervical collar
Pocket alcohol stove with fuel
Space blankets
Fleece blanket
Suture kits
Sutures
Needle decompression kit
Narcotics
Ibuprofen
eye patches
Betadine swabs
Sterile saline for wound irrigation
Assorted syringes
Assorted needles
Lidocaine for numbing wounds
An assortment of sterile instruments
Nitrile gloves
Sterile gloves
Lots of other odds and ends

I keep it all in waterproof pelican cases in the back of my 4runner.

I wish I could carry ET tubes and a laryngoscope for intubating a serious trauma pt, but I have the basics to preserve and support a life for a couple hours until they can either be flown or an ALS unit show up with an ambulance.

How about quick clot stuff!!! Like what a guy used in shooter the movie.

Don't leave home without it.

A simple piece, 3 to 4 feet long of surgical tubing. Fits in your back pants pocket and could very well save your life even when wearing chaps.

One additional thought on length, make sure it will wrap all the way around your thigh before you head in the woods. If you discover in an emergency, 3-1/2 feet, not 3 feet is necessary, there's no sense in even carrying it in with you.

Take Care

Lots of Bandaids for boo boos. I go through those quickly when I'm stumbling about in the woods. Note it is not chainsaw related, but part of wandering about off trails and roads. Bandaids keep you from getting blood all over the rest of you and horrifying looks when you stumble upon the rigging crew and you have bloodied a finger or hand. Of course, if I wore gloves whilst wandering about, I wouldn't need so many bandaids.

This is likely overkill for the average joe but coming from a FF/medic background...

My in car FAK includes the following:
bag valve mask (for CPR)
Tourniquets,
Pelvic binder
SAM splints
Benadryl
Albuterol inhaler
Pepcid
Lots of bandaging material
IV fluids and start kits
Cervical collar
Pocket alcohol stove with fuel
Space blankets
Fleece blanket
Suture kits
Sutures
Needle decompression kit
Narcotics
Ibuprofen
eye patches
Betadine swabs
Sterile saline for wound irrigation
Assorted syringes
Assorted needles
Lidocaine for numbing wounds
An assortment of sterile instruments
Nitrile gloves
Sterile gloves
Lots of other odds and ends

I keep it all in waterproof pelican cases in the back of my 4runner.

I wish I could carry ET tubes and a laryngoscope for intubating a serious trauma pt, but I have the basics to preserve and support a life for a couple hours until they can either be flown or an ALS unit show up with an ambulance.

Wowzers! You need to know something about medicine to use some of that stuff!

That's a bit of overkill for 'first aid' but if you've got it and know how to use it, you might as well bring it.

After readinig all of this with the OP notes about fishing I think we all need to bare this in mind I come from a family of those who spend a fair amount of time outdoors my fathers was a commercial fisherman, charter captin, hunter, outdoors man who tought my brother and I and started to to teach my son about being in the outdoors. Anyhow back on topic the one thing I dont see on this list is some tooling bandages and the like dont do you any good if you stick a hook in your hand, finger or forehead ( all of which I have pulled out of people on the dock, forehead was auctually an eyebrow ) you need to have a sharp pair of dikes to cut hooks/lures, wire etc when its in you, and whomever is doing the cutting had better be steady and strong. Basic dressing gauze tape, rubber bands ( money type are the best nice and wide) maxi pad (hey dont laugh it works)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was just looking for some additional items to stick in a bag, and you all were a big help. Some is a bit advanced for me. Haven't had a first aid course in a few years, but maybe a refresher is in order. Normally some electrical tape and a paper towel will do it, but there are timer when it's hard to stop bleeding with just that.

I had to cut a hook out of my arm once. Had a big Rapala on my book shelf, reached over for something and in it went, past the barb. Had to stick it all the way through and cut the barb off.

I have been thinking about some quick clot. I wonder what the shelf life on that is.

I'm a bit of a preper and have some of the military medic kits including tourniquet and quick clot. Think I might start bringing one along while cutting. Picked mine up at a gun show for @ $30 if interested.:givebeer:

Latest posts

Back