First climbing removal.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrisw

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Well I commend all you guys that do this day in a out. I'm sure I'd get used to it, just using muscles that I don't normally use. Was kinda tired and my shoulders and upper arms are sore. I've been up the odd tree for pruning/dead branch removal. I've taken down trees before, cuts lots of wood. But this is my first total removal that I had to climb. I enjoyed it, and liked being up the tree, the swaying and jerking around didn't bother me at all when taking the tops out. The climbing guy I know definatly makes it look easier then it really is, thats for sure. :bowdown: :givebeer:

Well way to go! I get sore just watching new guys climb. Stay at it and the muscles will tone up, comfortable gear makes a huge difference, I fought the old stuff for years. It got a few shots in but overall I won the fight. The other thing that makes it easier is not wasting movements and staying relaxed not tense. It'll come with time if you have the right mentality. Get comfortable gear, get comfortable in it, and trust it.

Last edited:
ha ha ya, I wish I took some pics, but was concentrated on other things. I had a good time. It was a tree in my parents back yard, had the climber there that I know helping, we lowered the tops down, they wernt too big, didn't want to put one through the Hot Tub, and then just blocked down from there.

Did you free fall the blocks, snap cut and throw, or rope them?

To me climbing usually aint a big deal, some jobs it can be though. The biggest rush I get is freefalling pieces right on the money, I can't get enough of it. Freefalling big leads is awesome too.

Did a job the other day where all I had to do was go halfway up this 5 lead Silver Maple bring er' down. It was for a guy whose two son's own a logging company and they were right there ready to clean it up. I went up and dropped 3 long 15" diameter leads right on top each other missing all targets just like a feller buncher. They were all leaning and heavy, I bore cut them so when I tripped the backstrap it was all or nothin, I was pumped. The other two stacked up on the other side of the tree. Left those guys in a pile, especially since my bro was hammering down two other trees.

There's just something about that moment of truth, when the saws runnin' and you have to make it happen and you can't turn back.
Therein lies the rush my friend, what keeps me commin' back.

Last edited:
Did you free fall the blocks, snap cut and throw, or rope them?

To me climbing usually aint a big deal, some jobs it can be though. The biggest rush I get is freefalling pieces right on the money, I can't get enough of it. Freefalling big leads is awesome too.

Did a job the other day where all I had to do was go halfway up this 5 lead Silver Maple bring er' down. It was for a guy whose two son's own a logging company and they were right there ready to clean it up. I went up and dropped 3 long 15" diameter leads right on top each other missing all targets just like a feller buncher. They were all leaning and heavy, I bore cut them so when I tripped the backstrap it was all or nothin, I was pumped. The other two stacked up on the other side of the tree. Left those guys in a pile, especially since my bro was hammering down two other trees.

the tree got real skinny at the top, cut the tops out with about 20' remaining. it had 3 trunks to the tree, so I cut the first top out the center one fell into the yard, then used that spar to lower the others out, since one was leaning over the hot tub, tied it off with a rope around it and snapped a biner over the rope, then there were two short sections of rope with running bowline's around the top of the center spar, and biner's on both, for saftey we use two, rope whent through the biners, then tied into the top, and the ground guy lowered them down after felling the top out, did the other top the same, then I just blocked down in 6' sections throwing them down in to the yard, onto branches from the tree, no damage to the yard.

That part I did enjoy dropping the tops out, and blocking down, going up and skinning the tree was fun, but this was better, there were just so many dam freaken branches, it is so think with branches you couldn't even see through it. Thats why it came down, shading the back yard soooo much. Way nicer now. And still enough trees around.

Last edited:
Ya, it was cool. Thing is I wont be doing it very often, unless I quit my job and do this full time. But I'm kinda chicken when it comes to change. It was pretty cool watching the blocks fall down below me.

Congrats parrisw on your first climbing removal, nice job.

The other thing that makes it easier is not wasting movements and staying relaxed not tense. It'll come with time if you have the right mentality. Get comfortable gear, get comfortable in it, and trust it.

Great advice, thats exactly what I was gonna say reading the original post.

There's just something about that moment of truth, when the saws runnin' and you have to make it happen and you can't turn back.
Therein lies the rush my friend, what keeps me commin' back.

Great post, you almost captured the rush just readin it. It's definatley a sweet feeling when you start in to the back cut, feel the stem start to load up as the top starts over, then watch it lay out as the hinge severs and watch it sail down to a perfect landing.

Last edited:
Congrats parrisw on your first climbing removal, nice job.

Great advice, thats exactly what I was gonna say reading the original post.

Great post, you almost captured the rush just readin it. It's definatley a sweet feeling when you start in to the back cut, feel the stem start to load up as the top starts over, then watch it lay out as the hinge severs and watch it sail down to a perfect landing.

No doubt, I love it when the piece breaks down to the kerf cuts as it releases and if to say "good thinkin".

Last edited:
I think a fellah is ready to move on when the little things about the job do not cause any pleasure.

A moderately technical rig comes off perfect, a log lands flat from 40 ft, a spar is dropped w/o a divot...

As for the body aches, they will always be there. Figure it takes a year to become competent, but they say around 10 years to master any trade, so you will be in your 40's...

After around 6 months you will start to really trust your gear and things will get a lot better after that.

When i first started climbing it seemed like time would freeze for a few seconds as the notch would close and the hingewood breaks.:)

No matter how many times I do a climbing removal I still love it. I'm 22 years old and in good shape and my legs still get a work out. Once you get comfortable up there it is a real thrill.

I really love the views from up there though, rope my sandwich up to me and take a short break and just look around.

You guys make me get antsy waiting for another removal..everyone has nailed the feeling..a perfect flat spar drop gives such a sense of satisfaction..and always puts a little grin on my face..and the hurting in my legs goes away for a little bit..

Oh, I am way to excited now. I have a job comming up Friday that involves removing 16 (16"-30") Sugar (Hard) Maples, some pruning, and possibly some more stuff. Lots of climbing with big money cuts and directional felling, it will be mad controlled caous. 3 teams of 1 climber and 1 groundman. Have to cut everything into logs, chip the brush into a pile, and I am taking half the wood including the sawlogs. I will have the skidsteer on overtime with the log grapple. One of those jobs that I will want to get a ton of pics and be pushing hard production. Excited like a schoolboy.:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Am I alone in this?
Climbing up I am relaxed, tied in at any altitude I am relaxed. But if I have to spike down a tree more than 30 feet or so, I get down and my legs hurt. I can climb all day and have no pain, but that long spike down kills me.
I know it's nerves, but after 12 years I still have it. I bet there is a piece off rigging that I could buy and just tie in, but I have never seen anyone else do it.

No matter how many times I do a climbing removal I still love it. I'm 22 years old and in good shape and my legs still get a work out. Once you get comfortable up there it is a real thrill.

I really love the views from up there though, rope my sandwich up to me and take a short break and just look around.
ha........say that in 20 years and a 100 pounds more on you. I hate climbing but I make my fat butt do it anyway, I have a friend that is 56 and he can do circles around me now at 38 but back in the day when he helped train me it was on then..............I still like getting a good ride every now and then from a good heavy top coming out and the perfectly flat spar always makes me smile and I might even give a shout-out OH YEAH!!!!, I can still do every thing there is to do but it is just really hard on me because of my extra weight, I've gained 85 pounds over the years (285 now) and my feet and legs don't last long these days up in a tree.

oh yeah, parrisw, glad you enjoyed yourself......:cheers:

Back