First climbing removal.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crane work can be iffy, I used to hang off the ring that is attatched to the ball, and apparently thats a huge no-no....Used to ride pieces out to that were trees you wouldn;t wanna spike into. Both are supposedly no-no's. Used shackles on the slings to which I guess is against the rules. My new company says no riding pieces out, and no ring, cuz its supposed to be mounted above the ball, but the ball is swizeled, so you can't do it. So opinions people. I am all about riding pieces out, its real dead and dangerous, why would you spike into it?!??!

I may finally get to ride a crane. Talked to a buddy of mine tonight and his boss is looking to get a guy or two to help him remove the top off a 60' silo and lower it in one piece. Sounds like he will get a crane but needs someone competent who isn't afraid of heights, I told him he has his man. I also got a camera man scheduled so it should be interesting, if it materializes as I hope I will keep you guys posted. My buddy specifically said he wants somebody who will hang off a crane, music to my ears.

The diggest crane I rode was a 150ton, with 200 feet of stick....Had to clost down the street and needed a flat bed to bring in the counter wieghts....Then at my last job we used 60 ton Groves, with 150ft of reach, its always a wierd depth perseption.....ANy suggestions when doing trees with large spreads, I set the sling, then have no balls to walk down the back side to the center for the cut, so I either leap frog and crawl with my arms and buckstrap, or panick, and have to have somoene swing me over. I just haven't got comfy with my balance to walk backwards down the limb, Haven't takein a swing yet which is why I think it tweaks me out

Just bustin on ya Blakesmaster, I grew up in that area and still have a place in Little Meadows. Hope you get the job!

I go through that little town quite often. My folks still live in PA so it's nice to cruise the back roads down to their place from time to time.

hey moe. guess who is doing the next nasty crane job for our company?

i'll give you a hint. it wont be me.

yup. you need some time on a big'n to get over that fear of slipping off the limb when getting to your cut spot.

only one way to do it and that is to do it.

oh boy. cant wait.

hey moe. guess who is doing the next nasty crane job for our company?

i'll give you a hint. it wont be me.

yup. you need some time on a big'n to get over that fear of slipping off the limb when getting to your cut spot.

only one way to do it and that is to do it.

oh boy. cant wait.

:agree2:

guess it didn't happen, we didn't do Crane work...I am good at it, and will puss out and tell everyone the one thing I can do is after slinging the piece on a tree with a wide spread canopy, is walk down the backside of the limb to the cut....I crap myself, and lower down to it, and buckstrap to it, and leap frog my buckstrap down to the cut and pull myself back up and make the cut. I got no balls and, not really no balls, I just don't trust my balance to walk back down. Alot of it is because I feel pressured to rush, and get it done qiuck. Hard to explain, but thats why I never complain or jump on jobs, cuz I know I am a good ground guy and Odirty can hammer out the crane work fast so we can get to the next job. If it was me up there it would take 5 times as long. I totally trust my gear, thats not the issue, I don't trust my balance, or myself...

guess it didn't happen, we didn't do Crane work...I am good at it, and will puss out and tell everyone the one thing I can do is after slinging the piece on a tree with a wide spread canopy, is walk down the backside of the limb to the cut....I crap myself, and lower down to it, and buckstrap to it, and leap frog my buckstrap down to the cut and pull myself back up and make the cut. I got no balls and, not really no balls, I just don't trust my balance to walk back down. Alot of it is because I feel pressured to rush, and get it done qiuck. Hard to explain, but thats why I never complain or jump on jobs, cuz I know I am a good ground guy and Odirty can hammer out the crane work fast so we can get to the next job. If it was me up there it would take 5 times as long. I totally trust my gear, thats not the issue, I don't trust my balance, or myself...

None of us were born quick at this kind of work..... You got a better teacher than a lot of guys.

I'll rep you for that Moe! The best ground guys are the ones who are humble enough to let the faster climbers climb and let the fastest ground hogs do their thing to finish the job and make the $$$! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back