first day out with the Dolmar 6400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericjeeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Got to the woods today searched for a nice top that was not down in the bottoms.Found a nice eight inch Maple. Fired that 6400 and laid it into the wood.. I was amazed at the chips a flying.. I cut up quite bit of that then I noticed a dead sassafras standing not to far away. So I decided to fell it.. Cutting into it I notice a few sparks. Yeah full of ants in the center and yeah they took lots of gritty dirt up into the tree. I cut it up to lengths then split it up and stacked it onto the rack that I have mounted on the 3 point.it is about 5 feet wide and 30 inches deep. I Have a hitch mounted to it so I can tow the splitter to the woods.I jacknife the splitter to almost 90 degreesthat way I can stack from the far side of the splitter.I got it stacked up then decided to file the Dolmar I noticed the chain was factory sharpened to really close to 25 degrees according to the guage on my file holder.
Is this where I should leave it? I keep my Old Craftsman at 30 degrees year round. So it was difficult to maintain the 25 without having to pay attention to a different set of guides..
This typing is sure a lot easier on my back over cutting and splitting wood. Thanks for any replies in advance

oregon and carlton chain are set at 25 degrees top plate out of the box. Stihl chain is set at 30 out of the box. I run all my round chain at 30 degrees, as it cuts quicker.

Eric, I'll let you know on the 28" bar and chains

Thanks Doc.

I do not have any spare 20 inch chains so If I can buy your bar and three chains.. I will skip out on the 20s for a while..
I have never kept many extra chains laying around. I always take my file to the woods.
Today was the fastest I have ever dulled a chain forsure.. That was some gritty ant litter.

No it is a New saw

6400, There is a rental shop that sells mowers and saws. He just picked up the line here in Central Indiana this summer. He is having a hard time selling them. So he made me one heck of a deal on it. around here, is stihl country. But I was looking for bang for buck. I feel I got it.

I figured no need to post a pic. it is just a brand new saw.. LOL. I will try to have the wife take a pic of the chips flying someday soon.

hey bud i almost forgot to ask how does this saw feel
ballance
weight
runs good?
any impressiond would be great

thanx

North Wood said:
hey bud i almost forgot to ask how does this saw feel
ballance
weight
runs good?
any impressiond would be great

thanx

It is a good saw, no doubt. The only complaint, if you can call it that, is that it is identical in dimension and weight to the 7300 and 7900. So you're left asking yourself why you want a 64cc saw that weighs the same as its 79cc brother. That said, it is a good value, as you can get them new for about $430 last time I checked and used from HomeDepot's rental department for about $220 with a decent bar and a few loops of chain.

Weight and balance are good with a 20" bar, a bit nose-heavy with a 28". Haven't run 'em with a 16" yet, but I suspect the weight would be biased to the motor. Anti-vibe is superb and the motor revs freely and quickly. A definite step up from its closes price competitors like Stihls 310/390, Husqvarna's 460. The edge might go to a muffler-modded Husqvarna 359, or a Husqvarna 357 or Stihl 361 on account of their smaller packaging and lighter weight. Opening up the muffler on the 6400 is supposed to make a big difference, though.

I bought one for a buddy a while back, an ex-HomeDepot Rental saw. He's an occasional saw user and has been very pleased with it. It is 100% stock at present. I think a 6400 would be a good saw for someone whose needs don't include regular use of >20" bars and lots of hiking through the woods with their saw. If you need more bar on a regular basis, you probably want more displacement, and if you're going to be packing the saw around you probably want either more power for the weight you're carrying (7900, for example) or a lighter saw (Stihl 361) for the same power output.

EDIT: A summary - the 6400 is a very good saw in stock form, with excellent A/V and a nice wide powerband. It is competitively priced and leaves the owner with the option of easily upgrading to 7300 or 7900 status by swapping a piston and cylinder down the line. Well worth buying.

From Saturday:
6400_At_Work.jpg

From a while back:
RCA_7.jpg

Last edited:
ran about five tanks of gas through her

I have ran about five tanks of gas through her so far,. great for bucking firewood and felling trees. But for limbing I use my Jonsered 2036 with a sharp chain.
I have no buyers remorse whatsoever. excellent saw. I would like to get a 24 inch bar for it though..Has plenty of power, yet I would like to mod the muffler to see what it really has hidden in its depths.
But I have not found a photo or specs of how much outlet for the 6400.. I will just wait til someone posted the specs. Then I will get to drilling and welding.

CaseyForrest said:
Generally the less angle on the top plate is good for hard woods. The standard seems to be either 25 or 30, either is fine.
That's right, and the doc is also right - both is fine, but 25 mean better staysharp in harder wood, 30 cut faster as long as it is sharp. :cheers:

Hey jeeper, glad to hear about your 6400.

I'd like to see pics of that 3pt rack. I've thought of building another rack - i've got a std utility rack for moving pallets and such, but always like to see other ideas.

Is your splitter hyd or gas?

Chaser

Nice to see the 6400 in action. Where in Central Indiana? I'm in Terre Haute.

Martinsville, Indiana

I will try to take some photos of the 3 point rack. The spliiter is gasoline over hydraulic. 5 horse briggs.
I have to work the polls today from 5 am til 7pm as a Judge.
I would much rather be judging a lady on a brass poll somewhere.. smiles

ericjeeper said:
But I have not found a photo or specs of how much outlet for the 6400.. I will just wait til someone posted the specs. Then I will get to drilling and welding.

Mine uses a 3/4" hole in the additional scoop with a spark screen (not shown in pic)

attachment.php

It was 1/2 second quicker with the 6401
It was almost a second quicker on a 7900.

Check this thread out for more info and pics

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=32715

Back