first ever pawn shop purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shootingarts

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
south of the border, the Mississippi border!
Fifty-eight years old in a week or two and I have never found a decent deal at a pawn shop. Overpriced junk, often around new price for stuff I wouldn't buy at garage sale prices. Might have broken that long stream of luck today though. Bought this for $80. Got it home and put gas in it and it started on the second pull. Even seems like somebody knew what they were doing adjusting the carburator.

I'll get around to muffler mod's pretty quick and probably try my hand at cylinder porting after the first of the year when I'm ready to put the big P&C on top anyway. DCS6401-20

Hu

makita chainsaw 003post.jpg

Sweet! I'm with you, every pawn shop I ever went in had broken junk priced higher than new. The last one I was in had a ms170 for $250. That's just typical around here.

There are some good deals out there, You just have to be in the right place at the right time! Nice find!

Same here with the crazy pawn store prices. They must think they're Ebay or something. It pays to keep checking though. Last year I found a Jonsered 2152 and got em down to $110. They had it priced with the cheaper Macs and Wild Thing type saws. You never know.

This saw was marked $119. The bigbox saws that you can catch on sale for under a hundred and forty were all marked $119 to $139. Guess nobody wanted a Makita for $119 when they could have a Wild Thing for twenty dollars more! :rolleyes:

Hu
I don't think our Pawn Shop is much into chainsaws. They seemed to have them priced wrong. One example was a Stihl 041 with a 24" bar and chain which was priced at $299. I thought that was at least $150 too high. The Makita I bought was the cheapest one I saw in there and I thought it should have been one of the highest priced ones.

We have a couple pawn shops in town. One has prices that aren't too bad, and it isn't hard to get them to drop their price. The thing is, it's a smaller store in the heart of the city and they told me the fire dept. won't allow them to store anything with gas engines, so no chainsaws.

Same here with the crazy pawn store prices. They must think they're Ebay or something. It pays to keep checking though. Last year I found a Jonsered 2152 and got em down to $110. They had it priced with the cheaper Macs and Wild Thing type saws. You never know.

Most of the Pawn shops around are Ebay, they look up what they have and whatever the highest price listed is thats what they mark it. Seen it happen!

That's a great price.

Don't bother with a muffler mod on that saw, it will mostly just make it louder without an appreciable bump in power.

Sure, the 64cc can be ported, but I wouldn't spend my time and effort. I would just get the 79cc P/C and call it ported.

That's a great price.

Don't bother with a muffler mod on that saw, it will mostly just make it louder without an appreciable bump in power.

Sure, the 64cc can be ported, but I wouldn't spend my time and effort. I would just get the 79cc P/C and call it ported.

I have been doing some reading since my last post. Like you say, nothing but noise to be gained with a muffler mod right now. If I port the saw it would be mostly for learning experience, last port work I did was on V-8's back when me and the world were both a lot younger. By no means a must but I would like to do a mild work port job on the 79cc P/C when and if I get around to the change out. According to what I read there would be some gain to a muffler mod once the 79cc pieces were put on too.

I do have one question, according to what I have read some 6401's had a catalytic converter muffler, some didn't. How would I tell which is which?

The saw looks to have the original chain on it along with the original bar. Going to sharpen the chain tomorrow probably but I wasn't impressed with my first test cut. I'll order a couple loops of chain and that should make me think I'm in chainsaw heaven for awhile. I'm upgrading from a harbor fright electric saw and a MacCat 3516 that happened to come with some other stuff I bought. I had to loan my last real chainsaw to a brother-in-law to keep his family warm years ago, it would be called a farm and ranch midrange saw now. Told my wife the saw would never survive the experience. Sometimes it's a curse being right all the time! :rolleyes:

Hu

I am older then you, and have never found a good deal in a pawn shop either!Good score,I have 3 Dolkitas and 2 more on the way,courtesy of Nathan!Great saws,undervalued in my opinion,hope they stay that way.
RR

Latest posts

Back