First Fire of the Year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vermonster

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Thought I'd fire up the old 602N as the temps look be to dropping to around 30F tonight. Nice to have the warmth of radiant heat produced from DRY wood:cheers:.

It's gonna be in the low 40's here tonight. Still warm inside, though, so no fire yet.
I'm kinda looking forward to the first one. The other 400 or so throughout the winter, not so much.

No fires for me for a while. I like to enjoy the cool nights in the fall. Best time of the year for sleeping:msp_sleep:

No fires for me for a while. I like to enjoy the cool nights in the fall. Best time of the year for sleeping:msp_sleep:

You bet Get them windows open and get some extra covers! We still have the ----- air on.

You win two internets!

cool man, pretty stove, too.

Every year I start with my uglies, scrap, bonus wood and see how far I can get. man, I got a bunch this year, with two more yard trees coming down soon......

Their talking a nasty winter this year for the mid west so stock up!!

Sent from me to you using my fingers

We've been in the 80's here during the daytime, but it's been around 50 for lows. That wouldn't be bad, but I'm stuck sleeping on my recliner because of a couple broken ribs. I have to make darn sure I close the windows when I go to bed or I wake up freezing. That cold air gets under me between the chair and the foot rest. I was planning on cleaning my chimney last week, but that was before my step ladder decided to collapse from under me while working on my garage roof. It'll have to wait for now. I still have to move my wood from outside to inside the barn. It's fun sitting here thinking about all the work I have to get done before winter. About all I can do is putz around on my reloading bench.

Ooooo... boy...
I don't think I could bring myself to light a fire in September no matter how cool it got... I don't even start thinkin' about closing windows until October. I believe last year was the earliest I've ever lit one, don't remember the exact date but it was something just shy of October 20. I like to use Halloween is my target date; figure if I can hold off until then I've done myself a huge favor... loading the box day-after-day, week-after-week, month-after-month, and hauling out ashes gets to be enough of a drag after 5 months (or even 6-7 like season), adding September and October to the mix is just way too much.

Of course, it's gonna' be 90° here today... so the above is easy for me to say (at the moment).

We've been in the 80's here during the daytime, but it's been around 50 for lows. That wouldn't be bad, but I'm stuck sleeping on my recliner because of a couple broken ribs. I have to make darn sure I close the windows when I go to bed or I wake up freezing. That cold air gets under me between the chair and the foot rest. I was planning on cleaning my chimney last week, but that was before my step ladder decided to collapse from under me while working on my garage roof. It'll have to wait for now. I still have to move my wood from outside to inside the barn. It's fun sitting here thinking about all the work I have to get done before winter. About all I can do is putz around on my reloading bench.

Well, take advantage of that healing up time. Enough reloads putzing around, maybe swap some for young guy grunt labor....

33* here this morning- fired off the old cook stove and fried up some slab bacon and fresh eggs from the hens arse. Cinnamon buns in the oven. The wife was a little chilly, so I willingly obliged. Have to admit,it felt good.

My first was about a month ago during a cold (for the season) wet couple of days. Lit another one off yesterday as I was again wet and a bit on the cool side in the house. No sooner had it going than the clouds went away, temp went up and I wound up with doors/windows open and a big box fan going. Fortunately I had only lit off a 2 pieces of Willow but it still took a couple hours to burn out.

Harry K

33* here this morning- fired off the old cook stove and fried up some slab bacon and fresh eggs from the hens arse. Cinnamon buns in the oven. The wife was a little chilly, so I willingly obliged. Have to admit,it felt good.

man I want a cookstove. Not like the old days when you could grab used ones for ten or twenty bucks.

It's early yet for a first fire in these parts. The nights have cooled down a lot and it's damp (as always) but the ol' Den is still warm.

As Spidey says, late October is more like it. :)

My grandparents had an old kitchen stove that had gas burners and oven, but had a wood burning section on the side. I gave it away when all the estate stuff was done. The only problem with it is that it was very ugly, and was well used already when they got it in the late 50's. They had another old cookstove that was left in the basement since they got their "new" stove, but it was in pretty bad shape. They had a damp basement with a dirt floor. Nowadays, it's probably not worth the trouble unless it is really easy to hook into a chimney in your situation. It depends on your life style and how you use your kitchen stove, but you have to admit, some modern appliances are pretty nice. My wood stove is kind of in my kitchen anyways, and I have both gas and charcoal grills just a few feet out the back door, as far as cooking with fire.

getting down in low 50's here, to soon for a fire. I might borrow a friends' policy....No Heat until Thanksgiving.

Latest posts

Back