First Fire of the Year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
getting down in low 50's here, to soon for a fire. I might borrow a friends' policy....No Heat until Thanksgiving.

Why would you even think about this when you heat with wood? I could understand if you had to burn oil/gas/electric. One of the main reasons I heat with wood is so I can be comfortable without worrying about the cost of my comfort.

I look forward to firing up the wood boiler just because, well like some in here, I show signs of pyromania.

Why would you even think about this when you heat with wood? I could understand if you had to burn oil/gas/electric. One of the main reasons I heat with wood is so I can be comfortable without worrying about the cost of my comfort.

I look forward to firing up the wood boiler just because, well like some in here, I show signs of pyromania.

It was a joke & don't worry, I'm no scrooge when it comes to burning wood. My kids boast to their friends that they are usually running around the house in shorts & a tank in the middle of the winter.

I started one last night too. Couldn't help myself... I missed the smell :)

you guys are all nuts. its 93 outside now as im typing this. we still stay in the mid 70s at night!!!!!

The stove in the pic is a Jotul 602N located in the kitchen, and has a nice element under the grate on top for cooking. Use it often for preheating water for pasta and what not in the winter, and for cooking if the 10KW Generac ever fails to come on automatically within 45 secs of a power failure.

Ooooo... boy...
I don't think I could bring myself to light a fire in September no matter how cool it got... I don't even start thinkin' about closing windows until October. I believe last year was the earliest I've ever lit one, don't remember the exact date but it was something just shy of October 20. I like to use Halloween is my target date; figure if I can hold off until then I've done myself a huge favor... loading the box day-after-day, week-after-week, month-after-month, and hauling out ashes gets to be enough of a drag after 5 months (or even 6-7 like season), adding September and October to the mix is just way too much.

Of course, it's gonna' be 90° here today... so the above is easy for me to say (at the moment).

I wrote down the first day I put a fire in the ole OWB and it was October 4 last year. I believe you posted your first fire was one day latter.

When I had oil heat, rule was heat from thanksgiving to easter. Last 2 yrs its been Halloween. Last night and tonight its been in the 30's. 65* in the house tonight so far, Still can't lite the furnace. Damn cheap gene.

Back