First purchas of a new Stihl! need opinions:)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmaxwell102

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ive decided its time to buy a new saw, and lessen the work load on my older stihl 026. Ive got my mind set on the ms460 mag. But while i was looking around, i noticed the 660 is only about 150-200 dollars more.. and that got me thinking.. should i jus pay the few extra bucks for the infamous 660? :) I don't mind paying the $$ for a quality product.

It all comes down to what i can handle and use in the woods. Going from the 026, to a 460 or 660 i know will be a huge difference. The new saw will be the "go to" saw and il be using it most of the time, il use the 026 for smaller stuff, or tight situations.

I guess my question is.. should i jus get the 660, will that be much of a difference? I dont cut that much big wood, but occasionally i do, so im wondering if the 660 would be over kill. But i want at least the 460 for the 25-35inch wood. Im leaning towards the 460, i think it will be a little easier to handle and i know i will get tired easier, but how much of a diff would the 660 be? i think the 660 might be overkill for limbing and bucking up logs that are not giant.

I dont work in a tree business, i cut 8-10 cord a year for firewood.

Their both badass saw's haha.. I just wanted to hear some opinions

But then again.. who wouldnt want to own a 660 if they had the chance!.. that is my dilemma!

I think you are on the right track with a 460. If you are in wood constantly that buries a 25 or 28in. bar I would go 660 for sure. However, the 460 can handle big wood well. Not as well as a 660, but it is a much more versatile saw IMO. I climb, and do stump grinding work and find that my 660 is the least used saw. Pretty much the way for most of the other tree guys I know. The exception would be flushing stumps. My most used saw is probably my 460 MAG. I'm talking about hardwood primarily.

okay that makes sense:) I cut primarily hardwood for firewood, and the occasional pine, poplar for storm clean up. I think the 460 would probably be more versatile in the rough terrain of the woods and such, like you said.

Thanks for the post oscar!

Hey snelling great vids on youtube :) I was watchin quite a few of them last night haha,the 460 is making more sense at this point, since im not in 30+ wood every day. I just cant wait for the feeling of unboxing that new saw! itl be the first new saw ive purchased, so im excited. Any idea on how many tanks to get it fully broken in? and how are the factory settings?.. I want to run it slightly rich so i know for certain it wont go lean while in a cut.

A 660 is only about 2 pounds heavier and will flat move with a 25" bar plus handle any bar out to 45"+. In the hardwoods you will appreciate the extra hp, so if you aren't climbing steep terrain why not go big.

Notice Brad enjoys a PORTED 460. This kind of work will put you over the price of a 660 unless you do the work yourself.

Last edited:
Don't listen to those guys, you know you want an 088/880. :)

As per RandyMac's favorite saying, "Go forth six cubes, and fear no evil."

Sure, it may be overkill for cutting firewood, but you can port it and muff mod it, and get a crap ton of power out of it. Slap a 18" bar on it and your productivity* should be excellent, especially when you put a 10T rim on it. :D

*Log must be elevated to comfortable height, and held there by midgets. Or a forklift, whatever suits you best.

Don't listen to those guys, you know you want an 088/880. :)

As per RandyMac's favorite saying, "Go forth six cubes, and fear no evil."

Sure, it may be overkill for cutting firewood, but you can port it and muff mod it, and get a crap ton of power out of it. Slap a 18" bar on it and your productivity* should be excellent, especially when you put a 10T rim on it. :D

*Log must be elevated to comfortable height, and held there by midgets. Or a forklift, whatever suits you best.

Hahaah i love it :p

Honestly a 2 pound difference for like16cc's, the weight doesnt seem that bad, i really think i could handle it, its not like im gonna use it constantly for hours on end, i can take breaks at my own leisure. And i have the 026 for quick handling small stuff.. Does this make sense to anyone else?

Its hard for me to make up my mind haha.
Yea that makes sense brad.. Im still leaning toward the 460 i believe, what sort of muff mod would be in order? Few holes for better flow? Then i would cirtainly have to richen it up after the mod. But im honestly a little leary about modding the muff on the saw, prob should wait untill after the warrenty expires?

Last edited:
Then buy a spare muffler. Remove the spark arrestor screen. Open up the tiny exhaust exit to as large as what the deflector will cover. Replace the screen. Install on saw. Retune as necessary. Don't waste your money on the dual port cover, unless you just like it.

go big or go home.

i was in the same position a few months ago, decided on the 460, went to the store and came home with the 660.

havn't looked back ever since. i dont even use the 260 anymore.

go big or go home.

i was in the same position a few months ago, decided on the 460, went to the store and came home with the 660.

havn't looked back ever since. i dont even use the 260 anymore.

Haha man that usually sounds like me:p hmm we'll see

Then buy a spare muffler. Remove the spark arrestor screen. Open up the tiny exhaust exit to as large as what the deflector will cover. Replace the screen. Install on saw. Retune as necessary. Don't waste your money on the dual port cover, unless you just like it.

Do you think i should wait untill its broken in? It would only harm the saw if it wasnt richend up after correct? :)

I say look at the 660, and come home with a 880. :D

I like the way you think. The only problem is 99% of the shops don't have an 880 on the shelf. I've never seen one in a dealer.

I have a 660 right now and have owned 2 460s. They will do you well running a 28" b/c in hardwood. Over that I like a 660 for the grunt in hardwood. A modded 660 will really put a smile on your face.

I feel like the 460 with a muff mod would be more the adequate for my needs. I think il end up with 20 and 25 inch bars for the saw.

Does anyone know how many tanks approx. it will take to break in?

IMO I would skip the 20. I would get a 25 and a 32. Skip-chain for the 32 and if you don't dog in and reef on the handle you will be fine for the occassional big stuff. 28 is an attractive one bar only option.

You guys keep talking about a MS880. Yes, it's Stihl's largest model, but it's not impressive at all unless you're pulling a really long bar. I'm talking like a 48" bar. They're SLOW. Max RPMs are low, and they have re-limited carbs and coils. Again, the 660 will be faster than the 880, just like the 460 will be faster than the 660 in normal sized wood. You might consider the 660, but I wouldn't consider the 880 unless purely for enjoyment.

Back