First run of new MS460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8titan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
For the past 20 years or so I have been cutting firewood with a Stihl 034 w/20" bar. Not and S it's a straight 034 (56cc). With all the help of the AS members and countless hours of searching and reading here I settled on a spankin' new MS460. All I can say is what a difference.

Burned half a tank cutting 16" Ash rounds....and several cookies to boot just to get a feeling for the saw. I can't tell you guys how pleased I am with it. The vibe is not bad at all...I was a little concerned considering the comments from others. The saw is a couple of pounds heavier than my 034 but I don't see that as any issue for me since I won't be running it for extended lengths of time.

Will be putting a DP muffler cover on shortly. Even without it I am impressed with the power and torque.

Thx to all for the input in helping me make the right decision.

View attachment 177377

Nice saw and bench!

Nice saw and bench!

177377-img_0061-jpg

you will enjoy it. I put the dp cover on & opened up the side exhaust outlet and man it rips . I didn't need a 460 as i have the 044 and didn't need the 361 either ......Damn CAD !!!!!! :cheers:

Best saw ever made IMO. Alot whine about the vibes but no issue on that with me, I like to dog the saw in pretty good and with the spring AV on different saws they feel pretty squishy to me. You'll be in love after about 20 tanks go through it and it gets the different cover!:msp_thumbup::rock:

Congratulations!

One of the best-looking saws stihl ever made. I'd love to run one some time. New saw rep on the way!

Nice sawr! However, you coulda cut 16" ash with your 034! ;)

That 460 is for real wood. 16" of Ash on half a tank and I can do it with an 090 without the AV. It's when you bury it all day long, for several days in wood that you start to get the claw hand. If saws are a hobby, AV almost doesn't matter. WHen you have to work with a saw for 5-8 hours a day, day after day, AV makes a HUGE difference. Here's my 046 and a 44" piece I am about to split:

large.jpg

Nice sawr! However, you coulda cut 16" ash with your 034! ;)

That 460 is for real wood. 16" of Ash on half a tank and I can do it with an 090 without the AV. It's when you bury it all day long, for several days in wood that you start to get the claw hand. If saws are a hobby, AV almost doesn't matter. WHen you have to work with a saw for 5-8 hours a day, day after day, AV makes a HUGE difference. Here's my 046 and a 44" piece I am about to split:

large.jpg

I can't say I have ever run a saw for 5+ hours in a day....maybe two or three. I guess that's why I have never been bothered by the vibe. I cut firewood for my own consumption....that's about it. The biggest wood I come across is 25" or so white and red oak....don't really come across real big wood....If I did, I guess I would cut it.

Back