First run with my Jonsered CS2166

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back out to cut again with a sharpened EXL chain. Knocked the rakers down a bit and put a 7 pin sprocket on. It performed so much better. At first I ran the H48 chain that came with it, and it was ok but it was curving through the wood. At the end, I couldn't noodle more than a bar's width before it stuck. I only had one bad restart issue, took about 10 pulls to get it going. Most of the time, no choke, no decomp, and completely down to low idle position worked the best. There was a bunch of wood in this burn pile. It's a shame the amount of this that is wasted in Kansas. Two loads like this out of it and there's still more, but it may be more work than it's worth to get.

20191208_105243.jpg 20191208_111701.jpg 20191208_114726.jpg 20191208_131304.jpg 20191208_145452.jpg 20191208_145502.jpg

Much better, thanks! Notice a lot of noodling. I was very careful.
That's good to hear.
I thought I was going to be hurting myself today. I slipped on some ice and flung my arms up to stop from falling yesterday, it didn't feel great, glad I feel no residuals from it today.
I'm surprised the chain that came with the 2166 was that poor performing, but in very hard wood you find out quickly what works and what doesn't.
Did you try to file or grind them to a different profile that would work better. I like the EXL better, but they are decent chains. I have one that's getting down there pretty good and it cuts well even in frozen wood.

The 48 is factory. It's off in some way, rakers, chisels, or angles aren't the same from left to right. I was surprised to see a factory cut chain curving. I'll sharpen it and see if it performs better. Yes, this crap is dry and hard. It's ready to burn, so it certainly puts everything to test.

Back out to cut again with a sharpened EXL chain. Knocked the rakers down a bit and put a 7 pin sprocket on. It performed so much better. At first I ran the H48 chain that came with it, and it was ok but it was curving through the wood. At the end, I couldn't noodle more than a bar's width before it stuck. I only had one bad restart issue, took about 10 pulls to get it going. Most of the time, no choke, no decomp, and completely down to low idle position worked the best. There was a bunch of wood in this burn pile. It's a shame the amount of this that is wasted in Kansas. Two loads like this out of it and there's still more, but it may be more work than it's worth to get.

View attachment 779479 View attachment 779480 View attachment 779481 View attachment 779482 View attachment 779483 View attachment 779484
dj on ope ported mine it's a very strong saw

have been running a 24" full comp chisel on it.
i have a 28" to try on it.
probably switch over to a 7 pin for that.

The 48 is factory. It's off in some way, rakers, chisels, or angles aren't the same from left to right. I was surprised to see a factory cut chain curving. I'll sharpen it and see if it performs better. Yes, this crap is dry and hard. It's ready to burn, so it certainly puts everything to test.
Curving like that is usually just the rakers.
I converted an old square stihl chain to square last week, the rakers were about .010 different from one another, I was very surprised.
In very hard wood the slightest imperfections show up right away.

dj on *** ported mine it's a very strong saw

have been running a 24" full comp chisel on it.
i have a 28" to try on it.
probably switch over to a 7 pin for that.

Sounds great Dave.
I need to do a video of my 2166 with a ported cylinder, all I have is with the stock cylinders and a mm, or a mm 365 with the transfers done. I also did a couple videos with the stock XT could vs the unlimited, the limited has a bit more timing built into it so if guys swap the coils(I wouldn't) they need to bump the timing a lot to get them to perform well, the XT likes nice timing bump even in stock/mm form.

Curving like that is usually just the rakers.
I converted an old square stihl chain to square last week, the rakers were about .010 different from one another, I was very surprised.
In very hard wood the slightest imperfections show up right away.
.010 is a lot when you're only talking about .020 to .025 to begin with.

View attachment 779479 View attachment 779480 View attachment 779481 View attachment 779482 View attachment 779483 View attachment 779484

Nice car too.

.010 is a lot when you're only talking about .020 to .025 to begin with.
It is, but most are off at least .003-.005 right out of the box.
I need to take them down a little further on that chain, it wasn't quite enough on the modded 576. I may do a video with that chain on the ported 2166 and the 576.

Last load for the season. The 2166 started harder than ever. Restarts were fine, no choke with lowest idle. Maybe that's why this saw was refurbed. When i get time I'm going to rebuild the carb and put a new fuel filter in. It's not the tank vent and it doesn't have any air leak symptoms. I can't rule out the coil but i don't think that's it. Acts like it can't pump the fuel initially. I think a new inlet needle may help.

20200104_163000.jpg 20200104_103418.jpg 20200104_132012.jpg 20200104_135423.jpg 20200104_153406.jpg

Nice to see someone else not scared to work their Tacoma! View attachment 785600
Last yr I sold a cord of wood to a guy. He dropped off a 14' dump trailer and I asked if he needed it spread out or if he wanted it loaded any particular way, he said just throw it in the front, I couldn't lift the tongue with my tractor and had to move it with my suburban. He came and grabbed it with a tacoma, it was squatting, but he pulled out and took off pretty quick with it :surprised3:. I was a bit surprised to be honest, but it gave me a new perspective.

Last load for the season. The 2166 started harder than ever. Restarts were fine, no choke with lowest idle. Maybe that's why this saw was refurbed. When i get time I'm going to rebuild the carb and put a new fuel filter in. It's not the tank vent and it doesn't have any air leak symptoms. I can't rule out the coil but i don't think that's it. Acts like it can't pump the fuel initially. I think a new inlet needle may help.

View attachment 785594 View attachment 785595 View attachment 785596 View attachment 785597 View attachment 785598
Sorry it gave you a hard time David.
Nice load!

Dsell, I have not run the one I got from you in a month or so. Hoping to run it tomorrow. Maybe it’s the refurb saw you are having issues with, hope it’s an easy fix. I still stand by the one I got from you. Last time I cut a red oak down it rocked. My neighbor wants me to cut down some standing dead 30 inch plus red oaks and hickories. I got a 28 inch bar and chain coming soon, I know it’s not the best size for the saw to run all the time but I figure one or two trees with that set up won’t be bad. I like the pics!

Dsell, I have not run the one I got from you in a month or so. Hoping to run it tomorrow. Maybe it’s the refurb saw you are having issues with, hope it’s an easy fix. I still stand by the one I got from you. Last time I cut a red oak down it rocked. My neighbor wants me to cut down some standing dead 30 inch plus red oaks and hickories. I got a 28 inch bar and chain coming soon, I know it’s not the best size for the saw to run all the time but I figure one or two trees with that set up won’t be bad. I like the pics!

I'm glad yours is working good. I have no complaints otherwise. It was 15 pulls today. It handles the 24 EXL fine with the 7 pin rim. The EXL is holding a good edge with the rakers down a bit.

Back