First saw advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrads on the saw , I didn't think you were going to swap brands . I have 2 - 180's . Keep the chain sharp and they can cut a lot of wood I know the one I have has many many hours on it . Not sure what the dealer supplied you with for a bar and chain , hopefully it is the .050 chain and not the .043 . The best replacement chain I have found is woodland pro from bailey's , Its a non safety chain .

Jumping a little off the thread here .

I gave my old man a MS180 years ago and just got it back just a couple of weeks ago because of his phisical condition his life of cutting is over .
Any ways I had given him the mixing oil for the saw and he gave me what he had left .
As much as I can figure he has put 40 gals of fuel mix thru this thing , Any one have any kinda idea how many hours would it take to put that much fuel thru a 180 ?
The saw is in great shape good compression although I havent checked it , it seems just as strong as my other stihls .

The MS180 tank size is 0.25l, I get through a tank in roughly 20 minutes to half an hour. There's probably a calculation that will tell you how many hours this works out as to use 40 gallons (near enough 5l) but it's too late for me to be working it out!

cheers,
Joe

The MS180 tank size is 0.25l, I get through a tank in roughly 20 minutes to half an hour. There's probably a calculation that will tell you how many hours this works out as to use 40 gallons (near enough 5l) but it's too late for me to be working it out!

cheers,
Joe

Ok then if this is all said and true that would put the MS180 for useing 40 gals of fuel at roughly 8.5 oz in a tank about 602 hours at 20 minutes per tank .
I guess that goes right along with a homeowners saw lasting at least 500-1000 hrs with a reasonable amount of maintanence and care .
The saw is still going strong and has only seen a mild tune up of filters and plug thats it .
Its thru about 4 or 5 saw chains but it is still wearing the original bar .

Last edited:
Well you guys got me. I went to a local Stihl dealer this morning and picked up a MS180 with a substitute 16 inch bar for 209 + 10 setup + tax. Saw and 6 pack of premix 245 OTD. Runs great so far. Thanks for all the advice.

TRAITOR!!!!!! :censored:

I'm Kidding.... Good luck, Husqvarna or Stihl, both will serve you well....

did you get hearing protection, gloves and other safety things as well?

Well you guys got me. I went to a local Stihl dealer this morning and picked up a MS180 with a substitute 16 inch bar for 209 + 10 setup + tax. Saw and 6 pack of premix 245 OTD. Runs great so far. Thanks for all the advice.

Congrats! You got a nice saw that'll hold up to a lot of work if cared for. Some of this has been said already.

1. Always use fresh mix at 40:1 or 50:1, avoiding ethanol (we have non-ethanol high octane at the pump in Minnesota).

2. If you don't have non-ethanol gas available, and since you may not use it much, be ready to dump your gas and store the saw empty if it's going to sit for extended periods of time. The alcohol will break down fuel lines, and fuel left for a long time like that can gumb up the carb.

3. Keep your chains sharp. Notice I said chains, not chain. Pick up an extra so you can keep cutting if you hit a rock or accidentally bury the chain in the ground. Either learn to sharpen them yourself (lots and lots of threads about that here) or have the dealer do it. A sharp chain makes life much easier on your bar and your engine.

4. Go slowly and carefully always, but especially as you start learning your saw and what it can and can't do. When you feel yourself tiring, quit for a rest or for the day. Tired sawyers have more accidents.

5. Personal Protection Equipment (the so-called PPE), is a great thing. For $50, your Stihl dealer will sell you a combo hardhat/mesh face shield/ear muff unit that may look a little goofy but does a great job protecting you. Many of us shell out the extra $75 or so for a good pair of Kevlar safety chaps. Your Stihl dealer has those, too, or you can go to Bailey's (one of our ArboristSite sponsors) and order a pair online from them. I use Labonville chaps and like them quite a bit. PPE isn't just for the pro, either.

Have fun with the saw. Post pictures here whenever you feel like it. We love our candid saw photography, and as the longtime creamsicle lover I am, I never get tired of nice pics of them. :clap: :clap: :clap:

No new PPE yet. Just using the standard eye / ear protection. I used two tanks of gas today and am 90% done with removing the tree. I have to say I'm really impressed so far. I did get it bound a couple times but overall this saw is awesome. Sorry Husky fans, I think I'm a Stihl guy now.

If you stay on this site long enough, you may end up with dozens of saws. It happens. They are addictive. :cheers:

I started with 2 when I got here in December, I have 10 in my shop right now, and that is mild (only because of limited budget) compared to most of these guys.

I know a local arborist who uses a 180 up in trees, even though there's a 200T on the ground waiting for him. I have been known to one-hand my 260, even though it's a bit heavy for that. I have steered a riding mower with one hand and cut hazel out of the way with my 335xpt in the other hand. Follow your snoot to flavors of fruit. Saws are tools, plain and simple, and if you need more, you'll find a way to get 'em.

Glad you're happy with your saw bud. I'm a Stihl guy too. Not for any other reason besides the fact that I've ran Stihl for the biggest part of my life without any major letdowns. Always did me right. So I'll stick it out with Stihl unless something drastic happens.

First saw

I was just on Huskvarna web site and found a New 455 Rancher for $414.95. This is a good price for a 55 cc saw. glad you enjoy the stihl but the other saw is out their lurking, awaiting for CAD to set into your wallet.

I was just on Huskvarna web site and found a New 455 Rancher for $414.95. This is a good price for a 55 cc saw. glad you enjoy the stihl but the other saw is out their lurking, awaiting for CAD to set into your wallet.

Yep... you'll start skipping lunch out in favor to PB&J sandwiches to save money to support the habit....

Back