First time out with the Masterminded MS460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowtie

Gearhead
Reaction score
This is the first saw I have ever sent to anyone to have woods ported. So, naturally I was anxious to try it out to see if it really made as much difference as I thought. Well, it has a lot more torque, and it spools up a lot faster then before. I am very impressed with the difference.

There is one drawback however. Im dead serious here, not just a joke. I dont want to run my other saws anymore. The 460 is just so much fun that I literally could not put it down. So Im sending the rest out for the same treatment.

Randy is a super cool cat to deal with. Not only did he do a great job improving the performance of this saw, when I picked it up this morning I noticed it was packaged quite a bit better than how I sent it. I have called him several times and wasted his time pestering him with questions, and he never told me to go away, lol!

Anyway, Thanks to all here that talked me into doing this. I offer the same advice to anyone that was nervous about the whole process, just do it! You will not regret it!

View attachment 225973
View attachment 225974
View attachment 225975

So Im sending the rest out for the same treatment.

I would guess that would be the danger of running a well ported saw..... a stock saw just won't cut it anymore!:msp_w00t: Congrats and enjoy!

One thing I forgot to mention was the increase in compression. It kind of reminds me of an 064. Feels like quite a bit more than it was, and it has a bite if you pull wrong.

This is the first saw I have ever sent to anyone to have woods ported. So, naturally I was anxious to try it out to see if it really made as much difference as I thought. Well, it has a lot more torque, and it spools up a lot faster then before. I am very impressed with the difference.

There is one drawback however. Im dead serious here, not just a joke. I dont want to run my other saws anymore. The 460 is just so much fun that I literally could not put it down. So Im sending the rest out for the same treatment.

Randy is a super cool cat to deal with. Not only did he do a great job improving the performance of this saw, when I picked it up this morning I noticed it was packaged quite a bit better than how I sent it. I have called him several times and wasted his time pestering him with questions, and he never told me to go away, lol!

Anyway, Thanks to all here that talked me into doing this. I offer the same advice to anyone that was nervous about the whole process, just do it! You will not regret it!

View attachment 225973
View attachment 225974
View attachment 225975
Whats the cost?

i just picked up my first ported saw, a ms440, although not done by randy, i know randy does great work, i have a very hard time not wanting to take it out to play!, it really does make you want to have all youre worthy saws done, i'll have a very hard time parting with mine:rock:

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words Jason. Your saw was a pleasure to work on.....I love modding new saws. :)

Help me out on a couple of things if you will. My elevation is 2000 feet above sea level, when your saw left here it was tuned to 14,200 rpm. What was it turning when you checked it? I'm curious how much difference it makes.

Also.....would you let me know how much compression it's blowing after say ten tanks of fuel.

From my house at 1100 to pauls dads place at 3400 the tune on the 066 went from 13.4k to 12.6k without touching the carb.

I like running ported saws in the woods and wood pile. It's much nicer to carry a 70cc for what you would usually use a 90cc for.

nice ive got to get one ported and mastermind did you ever sell dolmar i have a dolmar 112 black that has a tag on it saw shop in tenn thanks lee

From my house at 1100 to pauls dads place at 3400 the tune on the 066 went from 13.4k to 12.6k without touching the carb.

I like running ported saws in the woods and wood pile. It's much nicer to carry a 70cc for what you would usually use a 90cc for.

Thanks for the info Mike. I just sent a saw down to sea level in Australia. It left here at 14,000 and there it was at 15,600. :msp_ohmy:

nice ive got to get one ported and mastermind did you ever sell dolmar i have a dolmar 112 black that has a tag on it saw shop in tenn thanks lee

I don't have a shop that sells saws in the "normal" sense. I work in a very small shop here at my house. I like being at home after driving all over the state building houses for what seemed like a billion years. :laugh:

I've been wanting to have my 660 and 372 ported for a long time. It's just hard for me to send them away even for a few days. I bout have to use them most everyday for something.
I'd like to just do it myself but I'd prolly screw the pooch and destroy a good saw. I need a junker to practice on.

Randy is a good egg. I only met him once and that was at Terry's last GTG. He a catbird.

Thanks for the kind words Jason. Your saw was a pleasure to work on.....I love modding new saws. :)

Help me out on a couple of things if you will. My elevation is 2000 feet above sea level, when your saw left here it was tuned to 14,200 rpm. What was it turning when you checked it? I'm curious how much difference it makes.

Also.....would you let me know how much compression it's blowing after say ten tanks of fuel.

Randy I will be honest. I fired it up after mounting the bar and chain on it, let it warm up, ran it wot, and it had a slight burble and sounded perfect, so I went and ran a tank of fuel through it. I havent checked anything with a tach or gauge yet, but I will. It was a nice little break away from the work on my house.

I am at 1122 above sea level. I will tach it, and after 10 tanks I will give you a comp reading.

Back