Fisher Stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YCSTEVE

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I haven't logged into this site in years. Glad to see you guys are still here.

I was out at the local recycling center today. I saw this old fisher wood stove setting there that someone hauled in and sold as scrap metal. I asked the owner of the recycling center what it would cost and he said .25$ per pound. It weighed 368lbs with the firebrick in it so the price was $92. I put another $2 in at the car wash and $8 in stove paint so I have a total of $102 in it. I guess if I don't like it I could sell it back to recycling center for .25 per pound.

Does anyone have one of these? Do you like it? See picture below.

View attachment 260725

U done good!

there was a opinion circulated around here 40 years ago that a fisher wasn't as good a stove. I think it was a pi$$ing contest, cause the fishers I saw worked just as good.

Who was the numb nuts that scrapped it in the first place? 10 lashes with a cat-o-nine-tails.
The scrap yard taking it with brick in it? 10 lashes with a cat-o-nine-tails.
Then selling it to ya at cost? That is odd... but a groovy situation. Super bargain!!!! They not supposed to let junque leave...

Enjoy your stove!!

here in CT they sell for big bucks,$600 - $1000 or more depending on the model. I had an AllNighter; similar stove, Bought it for $400 sold it 4 years later for $600. It put out a ton of heat but I went through a lot of wood. You did well for $100!!!!!

I'm not real sure what I'm even going to do with it. I have a Hot Blast wood furnace in my basement and if I put it in my garage I won't have room to park my truck inside.

I may put 6 foot of chimeny pipe on it and put it out on our patio. I will call it my redneck fire pit. I think it looks better then one of those clay looking firepots any way.

I haven't logged into this site in years. Glad to see you guys are still here.

I was out at the local recycling center today. I saw this old fisher wood stove setting there that someone hauled in and sold as scrap metal. I asked the owner of the recycling center what it would cost and he said .25$ per pound. It weighed 368lbs with the firebrick in it so the price was $92. I put another $2 in at the car wash and $8 in stove paint so I have a total of $102 in it. I guess if I don't like it I could sell it back to recycling center for .25 per pound.

Does anyone have one of these? Do you like it? See picture below.

View attachment 260725
That stove is a BEAST!! I hope you have a big house because if not you'll have to live with a window open all winter. I have an ALLNighter up my father's barn. Huge heavy like your Fischer. Heats a big old carriage barn that's uninsulated in any weather. Built in the 70's about the same time as yours. Great find. One thought: you might want to weld a piece of steel plate to force an U draft.

Fishers are / were a well regarded stove around here. Still plenty in use today. As already stated..... that sucka will crank some heat out ! Going from my not so great memory.... I think the model may be 'Papa Bear' ??

That stove looks exactly like the Fisher mama bear I have. I think the papa bears have the flue come off the top of the stove not the back, but I may be mistaken. I my opinion (and also the opinion of many of my friends that have tried to buy the stove from me) they are one of the best stoves going. I can get a 10-12 hour burn and it heats our drafty old 2500sq ft farm house in all but the coldest weather no problem. The stove was a gift from the in laws when my wife and I moved into our house. The in laws replaced it with a Pacific Energy Summit which is P.E's biggest stove I believe. The FIL still thinks the old fisher actually heated his house better. Fishers rock.

Last edited:
Come to think of it the FIL bought a Fisher papa bear to put in his barn. It has a very deep (maybe 30") firebox. If I remember I will try to get pics tomorrow.

I have had three small Fisher, Baby Bears, in three different homes. While using more wood than more modern stoves, they are always well made, and served as cookstoves and heating stoves. They are heavy.

Check this link for a great deal of excellent information. Everything Fisher | ********** Forums Home

My experience is that a baffle, usually very easy to install, makes them more efficient.

Hopefully helpful,

My father-in-law has the same exact stove..
I was burning away tonight and just got home ( I supply all of his wood)..
Big Box, Load 'er up..
Yours looks in much better condition..
Great Grab, Congrats..

Thanks for all the info. Especially those links. In the next couple of years I want to build a shop. On a vacant lot down the street. I think I will find some place to store it for now and when the time comes I will have it. It never hurts to have a good stove stuck back somewhere and I don't have a lot of money in it.

Love my Fisher. Love the saw too.

IMG_0203.jpg

Good Score !

Nice stove and really really nice score ! Finally picked up my house heater this weekend , had been limping through with a small stove . Looked at many just like the one you got and they are fetching a good price for them as many know the name.

Ended up grabbing me a Canadian stove an Alpiner Matterhorn, supposedly as good as they come and seems to be just that . A monster indeed over 500lbs bricked and cranks out some serious heat. I have had the same stove you scored and loved it , a really nice stove but as someone mentioned they are hungry . Once again Good Score man !

My folks have one of those for their camp in Northern Maine. In the middle of February when it's well below zero, plus the wind blowing, it will sweat you out. Awesome deal you got there; glad it got rescued.

On the inside of the door will be initials, that will tell you what model it is.

I have the Gramma. Great stove, heats really well. I put a door gasket in it, but it did not like it at all. Then I put a real thin layer of pipe/gasket sealer and it seals up tight. If I close the vents it'll shut the fire right off. Just a 1/2 turn and it burns real low. Most of the time I have both vents open 1 turn, burns a little hot but I don't get hardly any creosote or funk build up that way. I have a screen for the front that clips into place, if you want to run it with the door open for gettin-frisky nights in front of the fire.

Latest posts

Back