Fiskars x27 36inch handle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine should arrive monday, can't wait to try this thing out. I split 5 cords last summer with an 8lb maul and my back didn't like it very much.

I used mine again yesterday after work. I split about 16 big 1/4s of red oak rounds. I have a 6" thick cookie of maple about 36" in diameter to use as a chopping block. I would take two 1/4s and place them side by side in opposite directions. Then took the bungee and put it around both. About 15 seconds later I have 10-15 pieces of firewood. Did all 16 chunks in about 20 minutes, splitting then tossing them to the wood pile. I like to feel like I have gotten some exercise from splitting wood- I did not feel like I had done anything, and I was already done. splitting wood with this feels like cheating.

Ya know guys I bought the super splitter because everybody raved about how the wood just split itself in cowardice to the end of the mighty super splitter approaching it's grain. My 8lb. maul kicked it's but on big frozen rounds. I hope when Y'all convince me on this new one it's what it's cracked up to be.:msp_wink:

Ya know guys I bought the super splitter because everybody raved about how the wood just split itself in cowardice to the end of the mighty super splitter approaching it's grain. My 8lb. maul kicked it's but on big frozen rounds. I hope when Y'all convince me on this new one it's what it's cracked up to be.:msp_wink:

Who makes your 8lb maul? If it outperforms the FSS I want one. I have a splitter addiction disorder that needs to be fed.

A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

If you have the old 28" super splitter, I suspect you can find somebody to buy it from you (seems there are some folks that don't care for the newly designed 28" x25 models and prefer the old super splitters)

I'm happy with my x27, FWIW

I was impressed with Baileys...they shipped it and had it in stock.Unlike Fiskars......

They're out of stock now. I got mine Friday and promptly put her to work on some white oak. All I can say is WOW!! I'm not a little feller either, 6'5" and 260 lbs and it's damn nice to have a tool made for someone who is larger than the average bear, lol. I just hope this thing will hold an edge like their bayonets.

Thank you, Jed, for allowing me to think that maybe I'm not crazy. I've heard and read SO much about how great the Fiskars splitters are, I gave in to the hype and bought one on Amazon. I've been trying it out on red oak, hickory, mulberry, and soft maple for a couple of weeks now and, to be blunt, I'm not impressed.

The thing reminds me of some people I've known who attack a new task with great energy, but can't seem to finish anything. Because it's so sharp, it penetrates wood like crazy. But I don't want the wood merely penetrated, I want it split. The head goes in deep and sticks there, requiring me to wrestle it back out again. On anything that's big or knotty, you can fuhgeddaboudit, as we say in New Jersey. I keep trying the X27, getting irritated, and switching back to the old 8# maul to get the job done. Yes, the X27 is way sharp and it's so light it feels effortless to swing, but it can't get it done on any but the easiest jobs.

The picture shows a 16 inch long round of red oak that I attacked with the X27. The head is buried and you can see all the places where I had hit it previously, with similar results. The big boy maul ate these things up.
View attachment 177696

Thank you, Jed, for allowing me to think that maybe I'm not crazy. I've heard and read SO much about how great the Fiskars splitters are, I gave in to the hype and bought one on Amazon. I've been trying it out on red oak, hickory, mulberry, and soft maple for a couple of weeks now and, to be blunt, I'm not impressed.

The thing reminds me of some people I've known who attack a new task with great energy, but can't seem to finish anything. Because it's so sharp, it penetrates wood like crazy. But I don't want the wood merely penetrated, I want it split. The head goes in deep and sticks there, requiring me to wrestle it back out again. On anything that's big or knotty, you can fuhgeddaboudit, as we say in New Jersey. I keep trying the X27, getting irritated, and switching back to the old 8# maul to get the job done. Yes, the X27 is way sharp and it's so light it feels effortless to swing, but it can't get it done on any but the easiest jobs.

The picture shows a 16 inch long round of red oak that I attacked with the X27. The head is buried and you can see all the places where I had hit it previously, with similar results. The big boy maul ate these things up.
View attachment 177696

I'm guessing most of the hype you heard was about the Fiskars "Super Splitting Axe" which has a completely different head design than the new x25 and x27. The new models have less "flare" or width, and a shorter distance from the cutting edge to the widest point. I'm very happy with my x27 but I do think the old head design was better suited to the type of wood you're having trouble with.

I see these are finally available in Canada.. Woohoo!! I'll be pick one up when the time comes

Cool... I have been waiting to see if they come out with one... I didn't buy the 28" handled one since it was so short and i'm a tall person.

OK, I am The Devils Advocate now......

Don't order the other, X27, one either....they had 3 of them at my local ACE Hardware store. I toook it out of its case and swung it in the store, and it DID NOT FEEL GOOD....I am 6'0 190lbs, and I do not see that I would improve my splitting with that un-proportional long handle .....feels weird to me...I use a lot of vrist action when I split with my FSS 28", and this 36" handle totally disabled that vrist caction I love to use....most likely it will take a "regular maul swing", and with that 4 1/2# head it wont split.... "try before buy" is my advice....Good Luck all of you that cried for the long handle, I DO HOPE YOU GUYS LIKE IT!!!

Price: 54.95$

how in the world do you form an opinion on a tool built for splitting wood, by taking 'practice swings' with it inside the isle of a store? were you driving it into the concrete floor? did they kick u out?:dizzy:

how in the world do you form an opinion on a tool built for splitting wood, by taking 'practice swings' with it inside the isle of a store? were you driving it into the concrete floor? did they kick u out?:dizzy:
Hahaha...well sometimes I do not take much to form an opinion....
When I played golf (6hcp), I could go into the pro shop and just grab a driver, take a stance in the store and have a firm opinion about it...if it felt good, had the right shaft lenght etc, I took it to the driving range. The X27 never made it to the driving range....too long shaft....
I bet you also have had a tool in your hand that didn't feel right the first time...Since I have used my 28" FSS for 3 years now, and I know that it is perfect for me....I know a 36" handle wont do me any good on safety since I already use a very safe system of splitting with the 28". What the impact energy concerns, the only benefit would be that I could get the head 8" higher over the sea, to gain more acceleration from gravity.....that would be about 6%, but I do not need that extra energy since I already only use half power swing on most of my logs...
As I said before, I rather buy a Gränsfors 36" for 150-200$ and hang it on the wall in my living room, than putting that 55$ X27 behind the shed....
But like I said before...I hope you guys like it!
I know a lot of guys have requested it for years now, with out trying the 28" FSS.....And I can see that those guys think it is the best they ever had in their hands....compared to piece of 8# sledge hammer maul....

View attachment 177696

I have to say I am having the same issue with mine. On larger rounds I can't get it to continue the split down. I am constantly having to get it back out. It is working great for anything up to 6 or 7" dia though. I have not tried the orginal ss for what it's worth. I am torn on whether the problem may be it is just too light for the job, or if the difference in head design from the SS to the x27 is making it less effective than what people said the SS was. I have yet to see someone compare the two.

Last edited:
I have to say I am having the same issue with mine. On larger rounds I can't get it to continue the split down. I am constantly having to get it back out. It is working great for anything up to 6 or 7" dia though. I have not tried the orginal ss for what it's worth. I am torn on whether the problem may be it is just too light for the job, or if the difference in head design from the SS to the x27 is making it less effective than what people said the SS was. I have yet to see someone compare the two.

I have the x27 and the old SSA. I like my x27 but I think the old head design is more effective (for the wood I'm splitting). The old head design on a 36in handle would be great. I'm thinking of writing the company to see if they could make one custom for me.

I don't think the x27's light weight is hindering it, I think it's just a less effective head design. The cheeks don't flare out as far or as abruptly, resulting in more "embedding" in the round.

I don't know why Fiskars changed the head design. Maybe the new design is more effective on the wood they split in Finland or maybe they just wanted a new design to spur sales.

Last edited:
Back