Fixen saws... it's about what you paid for it, not how much it costs to fix it!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for saws i either trade something i already got my money's worth out of for them, get them as pay, or get them free. i have never to this day lost a penny on any saw. i've only bought 2 or 3 new in my whole life.

Well l thought l did great when l stumbled accross a saw in the recycle section of our local rubbish tip. The corner of my eye caught a bright yellow TH chainsaw case so l went over to pick it up and check it out. Well it was quite heavy as it had a saw in it and my blood started pumping!! l opened the yellow McCulloch case and inside lay a very tidy TH eager beaver. The bar was its original and had most of its black paint and a near new N1 carlton chain!! Used the poor mans compression gauge starter cord and guessed there had to be at least 125psi or more. So the guy tells me it was just dropped off and to grab it!! Surweeet l thought and took my eager beaver home to see if l could make it run as it had all the signs that ticked the good boxes. lt must have been sitting a while as the fuel tank had what looked like thick black oil in the bottom. l washed it out and put fresh mix and no starty. Carb l think and investigate but the fuel line crumbles in my fingers when l touch it so new fuel/impulse lines and a quick carb clean with some air and carb cleaner. Fine mesh screan inside had lots of bits in there so after a good clean (would have been nice have a carb kit) and a squirt of mix down the throat she fires!! Woot woot! After some more smoke and pulling l get her going and give it a tune. The throttle trigger was stiff and not promptly springing back when pressed so l disassembled the handle to see if l could free it up. The return spring had jumped off its place so l put it in the right place and frustratingly reassembled the handle which took half an hour and a lot of brain power. In conclusion l enjoyed making this thing run again for under a dollar but when l cut with it l realized why it was not loved and ended up a the tip. Its heavy, has reasonable power, is constructed from mostly alloy/mag, its well built but terribly badly engineered. Horrible to work on horrible to cut with. I am a saw snob and have mostly late model pro saws so this thing was never really going to cut the mustard but holy hell l did not know how bad some saws are to use.

great post now you see why most of us will be glad to give away several eager beavers. Like you state poor design and a beast to disassemble.
That is one saw my CAD will let me actually walk by and not make me itch. Now a poulan micro is a different story

If I buy a saw i only offer 20 bucks some take it some don't but it's a learning experience either way.

Latest posts

Back