Flippies, it is to laugh

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Read my 182T owners manual last night. 4 pages devoted to how to remove/replace the flippies. Really!!??

I don't have a problem with them but if it takes 4 pages of how-to maybe the engineers should have stopped and asked what their goal was. I look at them as a solution looking for a problem.

They seal fine...but so do screw caps. Time saved? None as by the time I get them in the right position I would have screwed on the cap.

Harry K

Seems to be a lot of threads on the flippies recently. I've never had a problem with them and kind of like them. They arent rocket science. What I like is you cant over tighten them. Plus if you need to read 4 pages of the owners manual to figure the flippies out well I'm not so sure you should be running the saw.

they suck when they age and the rubber swells and makes it a PITA to get then to seat right. there ok unless they do that but I wont own a saw with em

flippys, tool less chain adjusters, autotune, etc. new & improved? everyone draws the line somewhere... myself, I like points ignitions.

No offence, but that's just crazy talk ;).

In like 1974 popular mechanics did an article on how to improve the mpg of a pinto 4cyl 4speed (with points). From memory... They got like 10-20 % more, going from 16 to 18 or 20 ! Flash forward to a new v6 mustang and it gets nearly twice the mileage as a pinto but is faster and quicker in the 1/4 than a 428cj!

I love old iron, but gimme more progress like that!

Flippies aren't as bad as a lot of people make out but they were a solution from Stihl to a problem that didn't exist. One thing that does surprise me though is that replacement caps are pretty cheap. I'd have thought that being exclusive to Stihl they'd be charging $100 a cap.

Oh and being relatively complex the Chinese struggle to make a reliable copy :)

Flippies aren't as bad as a lot of people make out but they were a solution from Stihl to a problem that didn't exist. One thing that does surprise me though is that replacement caps are pretty cheap. I'd have thought that being exclusive to Stihl they'd be charging $100 a cap.

I didn't call Stihl because I was scared of a $30-50 cap price for the oiler tank cap on my MS250. Bought some from the Peoples Repubric of Chiner, and ya it didn't fit all that nice...

The cap twisted in properly but didn't snap down like the O.E. cap. I paid $15 CAD for an oil and fuel cap... hope I didn't bite myself in the arse on that one!

Flippy caps work fine on nice, sunny days. But if you are out in the sleet and rain and wind and in a rush to get a road opened up, the oil jug will glug to much oil into the tank and you'll have to dump some out and then the cap will be out of whack and you'll have to twist the inside of it back into place and your vocabulary may upset any people who happen to be within hearing distance.

This will only happen on a nasty day when you need to cover ground.

Beware when you are packing (dragging maybe) your saw up through brush. I found out that brush can snag on the flippy cap and open it. I guess if you pack a saw on your shoulder, you don't have to worry about that.

I didn't call Stihl because I was scared of a $30-50 cap price for the oiler tank cap on my MS250. Bought some from the Peoples Repubric of Chiner, and ya it didn't fit all that nice...

The cap twisted in properly but didn't snap down like the O.E. cap. I paid $15 CAD for an oil and fuel cap... hope I didn't bite myself in the arse on that one!

I know why you thought that OEM caps would be expensive and I thought the same. I paid AUD$13 per cap from a good Stihl dealer here which was a welcome surprise. I had a customer come in who had broken a flippy on his near new MS210 so I gave him one off a brand new MS200T I had in the cupboard expecting to get raped and pillaged when I replaced it.
The Chinese knock off caps are prone to breaking and I have seen a few where the guts of the cap has simply fallen apart. Just keep an eye on them ;)

In like 1974 popular mechanics did an article on how to improve the mpg of a pinto 4cyl 4speed (with points). From memory... They got like 10-20 % more, going from 16 to 18 or 20 ! Flash forward to a new v6 mustang and it gets nearly twice the mileage as a pinto but is faster and quicker in the 1/4 than a 428cj!

The problem with progress is,it renders the average Joe who works on his own stuff obsolete:angry:
Thomas.

Yukon Stihl4488679 said:
The problem with progress is,it renders the average Joe wh works on his own stuff obsolete:angry:
Thomas.

Only for a while. It won't be long before the magic code for saws is cracked and it gets a lot simpler to make reliable screamers. New days mean new tools and skills. I'm glad there is no need to set valve lash every 5-6000 miles and hand lap them every other year!

I'm tired of flippy discussions. If I have the ability to sharpen a chain and clean an air filter, I certainly am able to figure out how to put a gas cap on. I own all colors. Flippy cap vs. jamming a screwdriver into a cap vs. grabbing a cap with a pliers? Who cares.

The only reason Stihl spends the time on this issue in the manual is because people are silly.

The OEM cap was 9.00 from the local stihl dealer. When did flippy caps come out? I ask because I know someone with a 023 that has them and this saw is close to 20 years old. While I can not say for sure she has had then on the saw that long, I can say I have seen them 10 years ago on the same saw so they do last a long time. I have them on my saws and I like them.

That makes sense being as STIHL also struggle to make a reliable copy ;)

As you stated, the problem didn't exist. This usually means it's marketing. Folks that use their saws for cookies won't notice a difference. But folks in the field tend to get tired of losing half a quart of oil here and there, some of it down their legs. Once I had a pole saw empty on me while using it. That was indescribably annoying and messy. I won't own a STIHL product that has them after having so many fail on me(4). There are too many reliable and great alternatives, often for less money(even if you don't measure in oil and fuel loss).

I would be irritated with that as well. But I have not experienced that. Perhaps because of preventative maintenance. Not trying to push buttons, just saying. I have had to replaced gas caps on other makes of saws as well.

Last edited:
I would be irritated with that as well. But I have not experienced that. Perhaps because of preventative maintenance. Not trying to push buttons, just saying. I have had to replaced gas caps on other makes of saws as well.

Perhaps. You have a point.

Let me go see if I have done my 'preventative maintenance' on my Husqvarna...oh wait. I don't have to do maintenance - they just work...all the time, every time. Sort of like the caps on my 046 mag. I have replaced a few, but none of them ever leaked oil or fuel on to me. I replaced them because they looked worn, after a few years of use.

Last edited by a moderator:

none taken, you can have the new stang, i'll take 428, points & all... & im not a ford guy...

Latest posts

Back