Flooding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffonks

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Apparently my wood stacks, round stacks and splitting area are flooded and maybe lost to Boulder Creek. If someone on the South Platte drainage sees my rounds floating by, please grab them. More heavy rain is coming. This area is semi-arid, where's the global warming?

I can't get in to see how bad it is, but apparently I lost a Bass pond or two as the berm between them and the creek failed. Carp in my ponds? I spent two years removing them with rotenone.

Someone went in at dawn and called me. My basement is flooding and I can't leave the pumps alone.

I'll post a few pics this weekend.

Oh man, that just sucks, sorry.

Asians and Europeans eat a lot of carp, just sayin'...maybe someone here has some good recipes..

I used to bowfish a lot of carp, one carp (large) per hole dug for a tomato plant got me always the largest tomatoes in the area....

I just never thought of my firewood washing away, although we do have a creek that floods the fields and swamp, and I have pulled a lot of wood out of it. Maybe your wood washed downstream, but someone else's washed to your XY...ya never know..maybe you lucked out...

Last flood I found a good kids BMX bike and a chinese pellet gun in the fields (and a buncha other crap, like someones entire cheap yard or garage sale floated down here, that was the only stuff I kept though..). Both work fine after a good cleaning...

Your humor in a ####ty situation is great!

In March of 2010 we had some historic floods here, bridges washed away and my basement flooded but I was able to keep up with it and only suffer a few hundred worth of damage. The whole time it was raining I was thinking how much worse off we'd be had it been snow.

Good luck, sure hope its worse than you expect.

Drought here... temperatures 10°-20° above normal for the last two weeks... can't remember when it rained last and no real chance for significant moisture in the 10-day forecast... leaves on near everything wilting or shriveling... grass drying up, turning to dust... haven't started a grass cuttin' machine in something close to three weeks, still no need... ground so hard you can play basketball on it... even the bugs have given it up and headed for somewhere wetter (except the flies).

Hard to believe we had such a long, cold, wet spring... and now drought.
Somebody told told me in June, when we were near drowning, that the drought wasn't officially over... yeah, I guess they were right.

I saw on the tube this morning, when my wife flipped it on, that y'all were getting way too much rain... hope it works out as well as it can for ya'.

Been watching your flooding on TV. Sorry that you have to deal with that.

Philbert

I still can't get even close to my access lane, road closures. Maybe tomorrow morning as the rain has stopped although the weather forecast calls for more tomorrow afternoon.. Thanks for the support. I have been leasing this ground, raising fish and operating a fishing lease on this farm for 30 years. It caused my CAD as I have plenty to cut.

You can't imagine the sirens blasting all night at my house in downtown Boulder. All I lost at home is a bathroom and a laundry room ceiling to roof leaks. I count that as good fortune indeed.

Last edited:
There are a couple more members who post occasionally in the mountains somewhere west of Boulder. I pray that they are ok, many were evacuated and some of the old mining towns have yet to be contacted. I have seen the spring flooding in the Dakotas and Iowa but I never thought it would happen here.

I have seen the spring flooding in the Dakotas and Iowa but I never thought it would happen here.

Funny thing about weather... it can happen anywhere.
Some years ago (1998 I believe) Dad and I went on our traditional Thanksgiving Morning Pheasant hunt, wearing t-shirts and sweating... it was near 80°!! If somebody would have old me we'd be seeing high 80° in late November I'd have called the guys with straight-jackets to come pick 'em up.

Funny thing about weather... it can happen anywhere.
Some years ago (1998 I believe) Dad and I went on our traditional Thanksgiving Morning Pheasant hunt, wearing t-shirts and sweating... it was near 80°!! If somebody would have old me we'd be seeing high 80° in late November I'd have called the guys with straight-jackets to come pick 'em up.

We've deer hunted in early November in shorts and Tee shirts. It was a while back but my boys still talk about it.

Mud, wet insulation, and tired people.

That's what the afterwards is. Hope there are strong people who can shovel, and lots of equipment around.
Take care....flooding is very messy.

Looks like I'm not getting into my property tomorrow, a sewage line ruptured just 1/4 mile upstream from my woodlot. The road is closed and it will have all kinds of engineers, crews and police on it. Nothing to do but wait. Man this is the pits...

Here's the emergency notice below:

9-13-2013 10:00 p.m. Boulder Announces Breach in Wastewater Pipeline at 61st and Valmont

There is no immediate threat to drinking water or public safety

The City of Boulder is reporting a significant breach in its main wastewater pipeline to the 75th Street Wastewater Treatment Plant. As flood waters began to recede, staff had visual confirmation at about 8:20 p.m. of a breach southwest of the wastewater treatment plant. There is no immediate threat to drinking water.

The breach is a result of flood waters destroying a section of pipeline northeast of 61st and Valmont, crossing Boulder Creek. The wastewater pipeline conveyed approximately 90 percent of Boulder’s untreated wastewater.

City officials have confirmed that an approximate 300-foot breach is allowing untreated wastewater to discharge directly into Boulder Creek. There is no immediate threat to Boulder or Lafayette drinking water. Boulder’s drinking water is drawn from reservoirs upstream of the city; Lafayette has been drawing its drinking water from Baseline Reservoir and has not been drawing drinking water from Boulder Creek.

The City of Boulder has notified federal, state and local authorities and is working on a temporary bypass around the breach to restore wastewater flow to the treatment plant. Officials are advising residents to continue avoiding flood water, and residents are being asked to minimize discretionary indoor water use, such as washing laundry. Industrial users are being notified to minimize wastewater discharges until Boulder’s system repair is complete.

Boulder officials are working with local and national resources to deploy contractors to make the repair. The treatment plant is currently processing about 10 percent of the city’s wastewater through a second pipeline serving the Gunbarrel area.

Looks like I'm not getting into my property tomorrow, a sewage line ruptured just 1/4 mile upstream from my woodlot. The road is closed and it will have all kinds of engineers, crews and police on it. Nothing to do but wait. Man this is the pits...

Here's the emergency notice below:

9-13-2013 10:00 p.m. Boulder Announces Breach in Wastewater Pipeline at 61st and Valmont

There is no immediate threat to drinking water or public safety

The City of Boulder is reporting a significant breach in its main wastewater pipeline to the 75th Street Wastewater Treatment Plant. As flood waters began to recede, staff had visual confirmation at about 8:20 p.m. of a breach southwest of the wastewater treatment plant. There is no immediate threat to drinking water.

The breach is a result of flood waters destroying a section of pipeline northeast of 61st and Valmont, crossing Boulder Creek. The wastewater pipeline conveyed approximately 90 percent of Boulder’s untreated wastewater.

City officials have confirmed that an approximate 300-foot breach is allowing untreated wastewater to discharge directly into Boulder Creek. There is no immediate threat to Boulder or Lafayette drinking water. Boulder’s drinking water is drawn from reservoirs upstream of the city; Lafayette has been drawing its drinking water from Baseline Reservoir and has not been drawing drinking water from Boulder Creek.

The City of Boulder has notified federal, state and local authorities and is working on a temporary bypass around the breach to restore wastewater flow to the treatment plant. Officials are advising residents to continue avoiding flood water, and residents are being asked to minimize discretionary indoor water use, such as washing laundry. Industrial users are being notified to minimize wastewater discharges until Boulder’s system repair is complete.

Boulder officials are working with local and national resources to deploy contractors to make the repair. The treatment plant is currently processing about 10 percent of the city’s wastewater through a second pipeline serving the Gunbarrel area.

Just terrible man. Looking at the news vids now, unreal! I hope your home is not damaged too bad. And more rain on the way. How are you coping now?

Is your power staying on?

I have been through three major floods and rode them out fine because I was on higher ground. We were marooned each time. The one in Northern CA cut us off for almost a month because of slides. The others were here and only a few days, more officially. If you are high and dry, you can help your less fortunate neighbors when the water goes down. Things that really help, if not heroic are doing their laundry--if you have water and septic, shoveling mud out, ripping up carpet, hauling wrecked stuff, etc. Our county set up an incident command center and announced over the radio for what they needed and what kind of volunteers were needed--strong people. You drove to the command center, signed up and were assigned a place to go. Before going home, you returned to the center and signed yourself out which was important for keeping track of people.

One lady bought and cooked hot dogs and kept them warm inside the trunk of her car while she drove around feeding people. That brings up another point, carry hand sanitizer and hand wipes with you.

Cleanup is a PITA and there's no way to get around the heavy grunt work that has to be done by people and hand tools.

Yes, my house is downtown, but far enough from the creek that there has not been any flooding there.utilities are ok. I just lost two ceilings, no big deal.

But I lost two lakes, another was flooded so it's contaminated with rough fish and sewage. 20 small boats and 6 canoes missing. My firewood stacks, rounds etc. are gone.

My wood trailer, tool trailer and log splitter are ok, parked on higher ground.

My 82 year old father is in failing health and was worrying himself sick that his 50 yr old sump pump would fail. So I spent the afternoon mounting a new one. I bought the last bit of 1.25 in PVC pipe and fittings to reduce the outlet of the pump to a garden hose available in Boulder. Lucky again.

His basement workshop is full of fishing equipment, guns, reloading equipment and supplies. He went to gunsmithing school and our lifetime collection of stuff is there.

Maybe he'll sleep tonite.

Go Broncos.

Latest posts

Back