FNG here with many thanks and a question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OddJob

Reaction score
Hello All,
Many thanks to all the questions answered over the years that I never even had to ask. I finally have one now that I can't find the answer to. I am looking for a chain. Specifically an 81 link .325 pitch .063 gauge full skip chain. Chisel would be nice, but beggars can't be choosers. I can only seem to find these "off the shelf" full skip chains in 3/8 pitch. It's going on a saw that i'm trying to grow fond of (MS271) and it's only used for bucking lodgepole and other softer woods. My Husky 350 blows it away with the same size bar, pitch, and a full comp chain. I hand file and am confident in my abilities, but the full comp Stihl brand chain that the ms271 came with only cuts really well for about 10 minutes after sharpening and i just want to try something different. This saw was a gift and I want to love it. Thanks in advance.

First, the 271 may take 15 or so tanks to break in. It should be a better running saw than the 350. If it still isn't enough and arent afraid to put a little money into it, this is my ms271 vs a pro saw.

I use the 26RS and I'm happy with it. Many people here are. I cut up a full 24in red oak with it and it only needed a 5 minute touch up with the 2 in 1 sharpener at the end.

https://www.amazon.com/STIHL-81-Rapid-Super-Chainsaw/dp/B00D0DFZRM

A chainsaw made with .325 in mind isnt considered a "serious" saw so finding "serious" chains or bars is hard if not impossible.

First, the 271 may take 15 or so tanks to break in. It should be a better running saw than the 350. If it still isn't enough and arent afraid to put a little money into it, this is my ms271 vs a pro saw.

Wow!!! That ported 271 cuts! I have found little to no aftermarket p&c for this saw, so I am leery about modifying it. The OEM is just too expensive compared to the saws value for me to mess around with. I can find aftermarket parts for my other saws all day long so I don't mind playing around there. I highly doubt that this 271 will ever become popular enough for the AM people to profit from. I sure like that video though! Thanks

Wow!!! That ported 271 cuts! I have found little to no aftermarket p&c for this saw, so I am leery about modifying it. The OEM is just too expensive compared to the saws value for me to mess around with. I can find aftermarket parts for my other saws all day long so I don't mind playing around there. I highly doubt that this 271 will ever become popular enough for the AM people to profit from. I sure like that video though! Thanks
i worked on a 271 for a buddy that was having issues. i ended up putting a OEM coil on it. fixed the problem. found the same as you that not many AM parts for that saw. the owner of the saw did buy an AM air filter for it and the fit/quality was terrible. a good saw shop should be able to make the chain you are looking for.

i worked on a 271 for a buddy that was having issues. i ended up putting a OEM coil on it. fixed the problem. found the same as you that not many AM parts for that saw. the owner of the saw did buy an AM air filter for it and the fit/quality was terrible. a good saw shop should be able to make the chain you are looking for.

Looks like that's the route i'm going to take. Thanks Steve.

Back