foot fatigue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsteel80

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i have been in the tree buisness for about 4 years but just started spiking
tree about a year ago. I have thin feet there for they seem to turn sore
very quickly. (30 minutes or less). I have carolina boots and buckingham footplates which seem to work well but footplates slides around. can anyone recomend a differnt boot or am i doing something wrong?

Wesco boots are all I wear when climbing, with or without spikes. Thye have a heel breast plate and a super heavy duty STEEL shank, not plastic like most manufacturers. BUT thye are going to cost you, $350-500 a pair. The Highliners are the ones you want for dong this line of work.

http://www.westcoastshoe.com

Never tried carolina boots, I use red wings all the time. Never tried foot plates either but I do not think that they should be moving around. Are you putting the straps on correctly?

a little help for a new climber

i'm looking for something versitle for climbing and ground work. i have a very
small tree service and alot of the time i'm also helping with ground work( only
have 1 or 2 helpers most of the time.) is a 16 inch boot necesary or does it matter. also i'm looking for a good fall arrest system. i'm in florida so i dont really have to climb to high but would like some extra security. right now all i'm using is spikes and lanyard. any and all advice would really help. dont really have anyone around willing to help. thanks

i'm not completely sure but i asked a pole climber from a local cable company
and he said to follow around the back of the heel, underneath the spike, around the shank and onward to the bukle. it seems to work well and the spike itself doesnt wobble , its the footplate that attaches to the bottom of the climber shank. anyway i'm trying to do away with the footplates and just get a better pair of boots. thanks for any recommendations.

Wesco boots are all I wear when climbing, with or without spikes. Thye have a heel breast plate and a super heavy duty STEEL shank, not plastic like most manufacturers. BUT thye are going to cost you, $350-500 a pair. The Highliners are the ones you want for dong this line of work.

http://www.westcoastshoe.com

I will second this post. I'll don my wesco's with long socks all day in 100 plus heat just cause i luv em!

I use the Carolinas, always have. A lot of times I just climb in regular work boots when I don't have to spend all day in a tree. Heck, I used to climb in hightops when I was a kid :D. And your pole climbing buddy was right, make a loop around the bar before you buckle. This will keep the shank of your spur from slipping (even in flat soled shoes like hightops ;)). Also, if you feet are killing you your spending too much time on them. Learn to take a load off. It's called a positioning saddle for a reason. Tie in and get in a good, solid, comfortable position before you work. In other words, learn to trust your ropes and you can do away with the spikes more and more...

Red Dawg boots.. Baileys

jsteel80, Go to baileys and look at the Red Dawg boots, good quality leather, vibram soles, and steel shanks. I got mine for a $100 had them for two years now. Also, as someone else mentioned hang from your climbing line when ever possible. I try to get to the top as quick as possible so I can tie in and hang in my saddle, and then come down and work etc..

Back