For stihl guys an gals

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Erb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am new here and use rapid chains but cant remember witch ones I get from my deal and since I here good things about the stihl RS chisel chain I was wondering if I could get everyone's input on what they think thanks in advance!!

Love the Stihl RS chains, won't use anything else. I cut primarily hardwoods for firewood.

I am new here and use rapid chains but cant remember witch ones I get from my deal and since I here good things about the stihl RS chisel chain I was wondering if I could get everyone's input on what they think thanks in advance!!
What are you going to be cutting - Species, size, clean, dirty, etc.?

If you are cutting dirty wood use the green if clean wood use the yellow But be ware the yellow does kick back more than the green safety chain, I would recommend all new users use the green safety chain. For your average chainsaw cutter that only cuts a few cords a year I don't think you will know the difference in the speed , I use the yellow though lol

If you are cutting dirty wood use the green if clean wood use the yellow But be ware the yellow does kick back more than the green safety chain, I would recommend all new users use the green safety chain. For your average chainsaw cutter that only cuts a few cords a year I don't think you will know the difference in the speed , I use the yellow though lol

I don't think you've got that quite straight. The general recommendation is to use semi chisel chain (Stihl RM) in dirty wood and full chisel chain (Stihl RS) in clean wood. The difference is the shape of the cutter. Both RS and RM are offered in "regular" configuration and with extra "reduced kickback" features which are signified with a green link and as RS3 and RM3. So you can have a higher kickback semi chisel chain or a reduced kickback full chisel, in addition to what you mentioned.

I don't think you've got that quite straight. The general recommendation is to use semi chisel chain (Stihl RM) in dirty wood and full chisel chain (Stihl RS) in clean wood. The difference is the shape of the cutter. Both RS and RM are offered in "regular" configuration and with extra "reduced kickback" features which are signified with a green link and as RS3 and RM3. So you can have a higher kickback semi chisel chain or a reduced kickback full chisel, in addition to what you mentioned.

Yep, like he said

We use RM on the fireline for cutting in the worst possible conditions --bullets, ash, rocks, etc -- and it holds up well. It has my vote for best all-round chain. Not the fastest by far, and not safety chain. It's just a good, dependable chain that gets the job done every time and is easy to maintain.

Back