for the logsplitter guys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My FIL wants to make a trip from Va. Beach to Southwestern PA towing a new logsplitter. The trip is just over 400 mi. The splitter has 16" pneumaic tires. I told him I wasn't sure if it was a good idea, as the bouncing may harm some internals. Any thoughts ????

It's not a good idea at all. They ( a model with 16" tires) were not designed to go that far. It won't hurt any internals a bit, it will burn out the wheel bearings and he'll be stuck on the hiway. They were only made to tow at 45mph also, so he'd under the speed limit. Doubt they even allow it on a turnpike etc.. The only way to do it is too put it in back of a pickup. Then he's good to go.:greenchainsaw:

what type of suspension? if springs, you might be OK, but if solid, you might find it bouncing, expecially at hi speeds.

alternative: throw it on a trailer.

It's not a good idea at all. <SNIP> The only way to do it is too put it in back of a pickup. Then he's good to go.:greenchainsaw:

+1 Don't tow any distance without a suspension on the trailer.

I rigged up an electric winch in the pickup bed to pull my splitter up a ramp.

Many years ago my father and I had a Northern splitter with a 1.5" square tube for the axle/beam support. After some time of bouncing around on the road, pulled behind a pickup, the square tube bent considerably. I realize that many of the new ones use a heavy box frame for the hydraulic tank/axle combination, but those little 1" axles welded to the tank can't take 500lbs bouncing around much without a suspension of some sort.

Put it on a truck. Pull it up a couple of ramps with a block and tackle if you have to!

I agree. Put it on a truck. Do not, I repeat, do not try and lift it up there though. My co-worker and I tried to do that last year and we got it up, but I pulled a muscle in my back that still bothers me today. Worst part is there was a brand new John Deere CT332 20 feet away that we didn't want to take the time to put forks on and lift it into the bed. stupid stupid stupid.

Sounds like a resounding NO, which I figgered as much. Hard trying to convince a hard-headed Johnnybull so much though. Thx guys.

I just reread the original post and see he will be crossing state lines. Towing regulations requirements should be checked first. If the splitter does not meet each states regulations he could be forced to leave it until it passes regs.

I passed a guy on the turnpike the other day pulling a little splitter behind his pickup. I was doing 75 and he wasn't going that much slower than I was. I just shook my head in disbelief. Those little wheels were sure spinning fast. I think if I had turned my radio down I could have heard the wheel bearings screaming...

For what it's worth my ATV trailer has the same tires and spindle bearings as my SpeeCo 35 ton splitter. I've towed 400+ lbs. of gear/Quad over 2K miles in one week, with proper maintenance these parts should be fine on a 400 mile trip.

The only worry I have is most splitters use there hyd. reservoir as a place to weld on the spindle stubs , this combined with no suspension could result in a cracked or torn hyd. tank.

If your splitter has a tube axle or suspension I'd not think twice about dragg'n it anywhere.

Last edited:
Borrow or rent a trailer, and secure it with ratcheting ties. Powertye.com has excellent quality, American made, tie downs. I use them on my Harley, atvs, large objects, and of course, my Iron and Oak log splitter. I recommend these ties and that your FIL not tow that splitter! I can just hear those bearing screaming for mercy :cry: . Hopefully you can talk some common sense into him.

little tires

It seems like theres alota people worried about towing splitters, because they have little tires,..little tires have been around a long time, and yes they turn real fast at 70 mph,..I dont see any difference in a log splitter, verses a snowmobile trailer, unless your tires are rated for 45 mph or such,.I always repack the wheel brgs on the small trailers, regurally and dont sweat long trips, If your log splitter has cheep slow speed tires on it thats a different story,..And, some people are saying that they can hear the bearings screaming for help,...do they hear the same thing when they pass a snowmobile trailer,..maybe the guy didnt grease the wheel brgs,..If you grease them every couple thousand miles you wont hear ANYTHING,...Just make sure the tires are rated for highway speeds, And when you pull the bearings out to grease them check to see (IF) they are real wheel brgs (taper roller) or some kind of a cheep lawn mower brg,..Thats your clue,..And I hear some people worried about stub axles welded to the large tube under the splitter serving as a hydraulic tank/axle boss,..Square and rectangular tubing is one of the strongest structural members known to man, Common sence goes along way, Id put it in the back of the truck If it were me,. Call uhaul and get a price on renting a trailer,..and be prepared for a shock,.. Eric,..... Ps also, so what If it doesnt have suspension, Going down the highway shouldent be that bad,..Your not hauling a piano,...Its a log splitter built to handle a force of 20 to 70 thousand pounds,.If you are gona sweat it take off the flimsey parts and get on the road,.common sence works best, I realize some roads will kill even the best of axles,...Eric

Last edited:
Ps also, so what If it doesnt have suspension, Going down the highway shouldent be that bad,..Your not hauling a piano,...Its a log splitter built to handle a force of 20 to 70 thousand pounds,.If you are gona sweat it take off the flimsey parts and get on the road,.common sence works best, I realize some roads will kill even the best of axles,...Eric

Units WITHOUT suspensions should not be towed over 45 MPH. It could start an out of control bouncing situation, flip, and you could end up with an 800 lb paperweight.

As you said yourself, you need common sense.

:buttkick:

Last edited:
spoiled

Units WITHOUT suspensions should not be towed over 45 MPH. It could start an out of control bouncing situation, flip, and you could end up with an 800 lb paperweight.

As you said yourself, you need common sense.

:buttkick:
Iam spoiled no doubt,. with good roads here in ingham county, But I dont see a problem going down the expressway at 70 mph, I think it would take a pretty big pot hole to upset a splitter, as u mentioned,..I drive pretty hard but hit very few IF any pot holes,.Again,.. common sence goes along way,..Iam not use to towing narrow trailers, like 4ft wide,. so cautioin should be takin If u are,..I dont see a problem going down a highway @ 70 mph and having my lilittle splitter fliping over, after an uncontroled bouncing situation,..Iam sure It could happen on bad roads and no never mind to what you are towing,. Id put it in the back of the truck If It was mine,..Iam all about caution when need be,Always be carefull, and test before betting your life on it,...Eric

got the exact same splitter, had extensive conversation with speeco engineers about this exact topic.

problems is not the tires or bearings. after tightening to correct tension (mine was loose as can be), bearings will hold up fine and tires are rated for highway speeds (called tire mfg to confirm this).

problems start when you hit a bad bump or pot hole. you could flip your splitter over and destroy. check out width of splitter... not very stable and all but invisible when towing. very difficult to back up...

unless highway is glass smooth, it's way too risky to run over recommended 45 mph. longest I've towed mine is 75 miles home from TSC. took back roads home at slow speeds.

TSC had a forklift, but I had no way to unload from my PU. so I just towed home slowly. but I wouldn't want to do that for 400 miles :cry:

For what it's worth my ATV trailer has the same tires and spindle bearings as my SpeeCo 35 ton splitter. I've towed 400+ lbs. of gear/Quad over 2K miles in one week, with proper maintenance these parts should be fine on a 400 mile trip.

The only worry I have is most splitters use there hyd. reservoir as a place to weld on the spindle stubs , this combined with no suspension could result in a cracked or torn hyd. tank.

If your splitter has a tube axle or suspension I'd not think twice about dragg'n it anywhere.

Last edited:
Iam spoiled no doubt,. with good roads here in ingham county, But I dont see a problem going down the expressway at 70 mph, I think it would take a pretty big pot hole to upset a splitter, as u mentioned,..I drive pretty hard but hit very few IF any pot holes,.Again,.. common sence goes along way,..Iam not use to towing narrow trailers, like 4ft wide,. so cautioin should be takin If u are,..I dont see a problem going down a highway @ 70 mph and having my lilittle splitter fliping over, after an uncontroled bouncing situation,..Iam sure It could happen on bad roads and no never mind to what you are towing,. Id put it in the back of the truck If It was mine,..Iam all about caution when need be,Always be carefull, and test before betting your life on it,...Eric

Ingahm county Michigan? Michigan roads must have improved since i've been there last, I can always tell when I hit the state line it's a hmmmmmm to thump, thump thump.... at least on the interstate, then there was Livingston county where the dirt roads are moguals (washboards) you can't drive more than 10 mph or your vehicle starts moving sideways. It was great to move to Indiana the roads there, not so bad, not the frost heave you all have.

Ingham county

Ingahm county Michigan? Michigan roads must have improved since i've been there last, I can always tell when I hit the state line it's a hmmmmmm to thump, thump thump.... at least on the interstate, then there was Livingston county where the dirt roads are moguals (washboards) you can't drive more than 10 mph or your vehicle starts moving sideways. It was great to move to Indiana the roads there, not so bad, not the frost heave you all have.[/QUOTE,............ You mentioned livingston county, Wash board is the first thing that comes to mind there,. Thank God, for Ingham county,.You can run and hide, but u wont do better than Ingham county,....DID U SAY when u crossed the state line u experinced Ingham county roads,.....ur smokin some real good/bad stuff, Ingham county is around the lansing area,..Thump, Thump, Thump,..

Last edited:
by the way there's been other posts on AS about folks towing their splitter at highway speeds. results was splitter flipped ... pretty much destroying splitter

you've been warned... please do take pictures and share when it happens....:cheers:

Ingahm county Michigan? Michigan roads must have improved since i've been there last, I can always tell when I hit the state line it's a hmmmmmm to thump, thump thump.... at least on the interstate, then there was Livingston county where the dirt roads are moguals (washboards) you can't drive more than 10 mph or your vehicle starts moving sideways. It was great to move to Indiana the roads there, not so bad, not the frost heave you all have.[/QUOTE,............ You mentioned livingston county, Wash board is the first thing that comes to mind there,. Thank God, for Ingham county,.You can run and hide, but u wont do better than Ingham county,....DID U SAY when u crossed the state line u experinced Ingham county roads,.....ur smokin some real good/bad stuff, Ingham county is around the lansing area,..Thump, Thump, Thump,..

No, I thiink all the stuff your smoking is not letting your brain process what I wrote "Michigan roads must have improved since i've been there last, I can always tell when I hit the state line it's a hmmmmmm to thump, thump thump.... at least on the interstate" I hope you are clear enough to understand now I'm bashing Michigan roads in general just incase there is another misunderstanding. I'm from Livingston county originally I familiar with Ingham also and it's location:cheers: Thump, Thump, Thump...

Last edited:
Back