? for woodsplitter owners.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustytools

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How many of you guys still like to go outside and split wood with a maul from time to time. I like to go out after supper before I get my shower and bust wood for a while just to destress and relax and maybe even burn off a few supper calories. My wife asked me a little while ago "Why in the hell are you doing that by hand when you have that splitter sitting not twenty feet away." She just shook her head and went back in the house.:cheers:

How many of you guys still like to go outside and split wood with a maul from time to time. I like to go out after supper before I get my shower and bust wood for a while just to destress and relax and maybe even burn off a few supper calories. My wife asked me a little while ago "Why in the hell are you doing that by hand when you have that splitter sitting not twenty feet away." She just shook her head and went back in the house.:cheers:
The best log splitter that I own is also the cheapest. It consists of the following components:

(1) One 8-lb splitting maul with a hickory handle that I wrapped with nylon twine near the head. This baby has been with me for 20 years.

(2) Three 8-lb splitting wedges.

(3) One 10-lb sledgehammer that I use on the wedges, wrapped the same as (1).

When (1) above cannot split the log by itself after 3 or 4 round house swings, then (2) and (3) take over. That strategy almost always works, along with wood-splitting knowledge that you tend to acquire over time as you use this equipment.

Fabulous exercise! :p

Only occasionally. Grew up splitting firewood by hand. For many, many years, my dad and I split 9 cords of wood by hand. Had to, it was just the way it was.

It's not the way it is anymore. Have a splitter and like to use it. I can still "throw" a maul, but only for show. If I had to sell the splitter I have, well, I would start throw'in the maul again.

I'll tell ya though, if'n I could find someone to set the wood up for me, now that would be just grand. Bending over all the time is what takes all the fun, for me, out of it.

Last edited:
If I have a piece or 2 thats too big to fit into the woodstove I may get out the maul, but other than that I dont use the maul.
Thats too much like work! :buttkick:

Only occasionally. Grew up splitting firewood by hand. For many, many years, my dad and I split 9 cords of wood by hand. Had to, it was just the way it was.

It's not the way it is anymore. Have a splitter and like to use it. I can still "throw" a mall, but only for show. If I had to sell the splitter I have, well, I would start throw'in the mall again.

I'll tell ya though, if'n I could find someone to set the wood up for me, now that would be just grand. Bending over all the time is what takes all the fun, for me, out of it.
We both need grandchildren on occasion. LOL!

But, bending down to set that log is still good for you. Yep, I hate it when she shifts also, before or after you clobber her. You see, that's part of the challenge. The log is saying, "I'm tougher than you are and I'll bet you can't do it."

Yep, I can still round house that 8-lb maul, and it helps to make sure of that every year. That's life.
SplitWood1.jpg

Last edited:
Dont get me wrong, 99.99 percent of my wood will be split with the splitter from now on. Its just that swinging that maul a little bit from time to time helps me to forget about the everyday stress and BS, even helps me sleep good at night, LOL.:cheers:

A couple weeks ago a gentleman here in Maine lost his life splitting wood with a sledge and a wedge, the wedge fractured and severed his femoral artery and he bled to death before help could be found. Use the splitter, it could save your life.

I still use my 8 lb. maul every once in awhile. Helps my coordination and it just feels good to know I can still do it. It took me a few wooden handles to get the hang of it. Don't get me wrong, when I need to split wood, I fire up the Honda (one pull start) splitter. When I am killing time or needing more exercise, out comes the BEAST.

The maul I have is about 12 years old.

I think it has only done about 8 cord of wood, or so. Still original handle; but I got lots of practice going through handles as a kid.;)

REAL men, aka Pirates, Vikings and Lumberjacks, split with a maul. I like the exercise and find it's often faster to split smaller rounds by hand, especially ash or maple. Oak is kind of another story. I am a fan of the Monster maul, it make a new man out of you. The 8# is a good standby but I tend to go through a lot of handles. I use wedges and a 20# sledge a lot too, not much I can't tackle with them. I also really like my Fiskars splitting axe.

8 to 10 cords per year all by hand, I also save 2 cords to split in the winter,
if your a calorie counter it burns 500 or so calories per hour

Moss Man said, "A couple weeks ago a gentleman here in Maine lost his life splitting wood with a sledge and a wedge, the wedge fractured and severed his femoral artery and he bled to death before help could be found."
--------------
I keep hearing about these events second hand and I suppose it is possible. I have never read a newspaper article that documents it. Can you name the newspaper that covered this story so that I can look it up on the internet and read it? BTW, I agree that metal fragments from wedges can be broken off by a sledgehammer.

Meanwhile, many of our forum members have reported losing finger joints (e.g., ClawMute recently) while operating powered log splitters and have shown pictures of the result. It's not a pretty sight, to say the least. :cry:

I split with a maul once in a while for the sheer enjoyment of it. But I do it on wood that easy to split, like straight grained Locust, ash, Mulberry, Hedge, and Oak. The crotches and twisted grain and gnarly big stuff gets the splitter. I aint wasting 45 minutes by hand when the splitter will do it in 5 on a nasty round. But I do enjoy splitting by hand once in a while.

I just picked up a Super Split the other day. I've used everything short of a processor through the years and this SS is hands down the best wood splitting apparatus I've used yet! Up to this point I had sold my hydraulic splitter because I could split a lot faster with the maul, but the SS can out pace the maul. I'll still throw the maul around for few pieces here and there, but this SS has really made me see the light...

I just picked up a Super Split the other day. I've used everything short of a processor through the years and this SS is hands down the best wood splitting apparatus I've used yet! Up to this point I had sold my hydraulic splitter because I could split a lot faster with the maul, but the SS can out pace the maul. I'll still throw the maul around for few pieces here and there, but this SS has really made me see the light...

Is that the True Temper Super Splitter? I saw that in the store not too long ago, it looks impressive. I really like my Fiskars, it performs great in smaller stuff, but I just wish it was about 3 pounds heavier and had a 32" handle. I am tall enough for an overswing with a 28" handle to take a toe off nicely.

Back