Foredom motor choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juttree

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
For port work and just routine stuff around the shop which motor do you guys recommend, SR or TX? I know the SR has reverse but if I have an RA hand piece I could just use a left hand cutter on the opposite side with the TX, right?

For port work and just routine stuff around the shop which motor do you guys recommend, SR or TX? I know the SR has reverse but if I have an RA hand piece I could just use a left hand cutter on the opposite side with the TX, right?

The torque of the TX motor isn't necessary, you'll break the drive cable before you actually need it. More RPM is really what's needed and reverse is nice... really nice. I'd look at mastercarver motors instead of the foredom. All the foredom handpieces will work on them and they spin 30,000 RPM instead of 1,800 for around the same price. There is also a promax motor out there that also spins 30k.

The torque of the TX motor isn't necessary, you'll break the drive cable before you actually need it. More RPM is really what's needed and reverse is nice... really nice. I'd look at mastercarver motors instead of the foredom. All the foredom handpieces will work on them and they spin 30,000 RPM instead of 1,800 for around the same price. There is also a promax motor out there that also spins 30k.
I was wondering if the extra torque was actually necessary.

I prefer the Harbor Freight motor with Foredom foot control

have you owned anything other then a harbour freight motor? LOL not dissing HF as i have not owned much from them but i got my foredom what i call heavily used back in 1999. used the living **** out of it since then and i just tonight pulled the motor apart to clean everything up as it developed a squeak. threw new brushes in there while i was at it. good to go for another 20 years :)

I got the SR with the foot control and the H30 handpiece, I love it.

It puts the dremels to shame, there is no comparison.

have you owned anything other then a harbour freight motor? LOL not dissing HF as i have not owned much from them but i got my foredom what i call heavily used back in 1999. used the living **** out of it since then and i just tonight pulled the motor apart to clean everything up as it developed a squeak. threw new brushes in there while i was at it. good to go for another 20 years :)
Which Foredom motor do you have ?

I have an SR and two older Fordom motors that are discontinued(EE, S). The high speed of the SR is nice for polishing ports but not really needed for grinding where control is more needed than speed. I use the reversible motor to keep the cut spinning in a direction so that if it jumps there is no damage to the part or my fingers.

I ended up buying the SR kit with the right angle handpiece from CC specialty and it definitely does make a dremel feel like a toy but it sure wasn't cheap. If I had to do it over again I'd just buy the RA handpiece from them and get the motor and foot control from eBay. I was able to buy two different foredom motors (H and F), handpieces, and foot controls for prices that I couldn't pass up. The F motor is old but still puts the dremel to shame and the H motor is like new.

I ended up buying the SR kit with the right angle handpiece from CC specialty and it definitely does make a dremel feel like a toy but it sure wasn't cheap. If I had to do it over again I'd just buy the RA handpiece from them and get the motor and foot control from eBay. I was able to buy two different foredom motors (H and F), handpieces, and foot controls for prices that I couldn't pass up. The F motor is old but still puts the dremel to shame and the H motor is like new.

If I were to do it again I would get the Mastercarver or Promax motor, more speed and power than the Foredom. The CC 128MC right angle is the way to go if you can afford the price, it gets a little cumbersome in small bores so I have a latch burr style handpiece for those.

If I were to do it again I would get the Mastercarver or Promax motor, more speed and power than the Foredom. The CC 128MC right angle is the way to go if you can afford the price, it gets a little cumbersome in small bores so I have a latch burr style handpiece for those.

Do you have handpiece's available yet Shawn?

I'm not familiar with the latch burr handpiece at all but it sounds like a good alternative.

Which Foredom motor do you have ?

not even sure, all the numbers be worn off. all a guy can read now is that it says foredom. will suck if i ever need parts unless they are mostly interchangeable. i had a set of brushes for it from when i got it. believe i still have another set for in 20 years from now. this is the only foredom i've had. i too noticed the lower RPM's of these older motors and seems alot of dremels turn faster. i don't care though. this ones been good to me and i really don't need the latest and greatest when it comes to a foredom.

Do you have handpiece's available yet Shawn?

For the contra angle handpieces I changed the burrs I'm using with it and changed the dimensions on the shank I grind on them. I'm hoping this will increase the life of the head. If it does I will start selling them.

I have a few of the other handpieces left.

If I were to do it again I would get the Mastercarver or Promax motor, more speed and power than the Foredom.

+1

I use a 30,000 rpm Rotozip with an adapted Foredom shaft for the straight hand pieces and angled in fwd. More speed, smoother cut, faster than the Foredom back to off.
18,000 seems slow running in rev.

+1

I use a 30,000 rpm Rotozip with an adapted Foredom shaft for the straight hand pieces and angled in fwd. More speed, smoother cut, faster than the Foredom back to off.
18,000 seems slow running in rev.

Exactly, I would get the 30k motor and stack a bench speed control inline with the foot pedal so I could limit it down the max RPM with the bench control when I shouldn't spin the burr that fast.

Any reason you guys wouldn't grab a DPDT switch, of appropriate current ratings
and convert a non-reversing motor to a reversable?
Just pick out the brush leads and run 'em to the center lugs of the switch
and the brush leads to the outer terminals.
You just swap sides with the brush leads on one side of the switch.
With that in mind, pick whichever motor you prefer.

Anyone still remember some of the universal (brush type) motors (usually a drill)
had a sliding brush carrier plate. You actually shifted the brushes to reverse rotation.
It moved them to align with the adjacent segment of the commutator, which shifted the magnetic field offset, thus switching the reaction and rotation.

Back