Foredom motor choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the link. I just ordered one. I should have it by the weekend. I'll post up about it when/ if I receive it. I've been looking at the 220 volt sr kits from china for about $140 shipped. Seller says they are genuine Foredom kits.

Any reason you guys wouldn't grab a DPDT switch, of appropriate current ratings
and convert a non-reversing motor to a reversable?
Just pick out the brush leads and run 'em to the center lugs of the switch
and the brush leads to the outer terminals.
You just swap sides with the brush leads on one side of the switch.
With that in mind, pick whichever motor you prefer.

Anyone still remember some of the universal (brush type) motors (usually a drill)
had a sliding brush carrier plate. You actually shifted the brushes to reverse rotation.
It moved them to align with the adjacent segment of the commutator, which shifted the magnetic field offset, thus switching the reaction and rotation.
I'm not clever enough for all that.

Personally, I wouldn't trust that one. It says the seller has 100% rating but there's only a couple transactions and all of them are as a buyer.

I did see that.

I just pulled the trigger on one. If it really does show up, I'll sell the one I have. If it doesn't, I'll get my money back from Paypal.

Anyone still remember some of the universal (brush type) motors (usually a drill)
had a sliding brush carrier plate. You actually2 shifted the brushes to reverse rotation.
It moved them to align with the adjacent segment of the commutator, which shifted the magnetic field offset, thus switching the reaction and rotation.
okay im interested in this. Wont the lead goin to the brushes be to short to cut and go to a switch? They are usually very short from the motor to the brush. Not alota extra lead to tap?

I hope you do get it. Let us know how it goes.

I'm not really getting my hopes up too high. The seller seems to be into Drag Queen dresses, and wigs according to their feedback! :wtf:

Oh, and even "silicone breast plates" whatever those are!!!! Don't even want to google images of that.

I'm not really getting my hopes up too high. The seller seems to be into Drag Queen dresses, and wigs according to their feedback! :wtf:

Oh, and even "silicone breast plates" whatever those are!!!! Don't even want to google images of that.
Wow, I wonder how foredom grinders come into play in that list of stuff. Actually, never mind I DON'T want to know.

had a sliding brush carrier plate. You actually shifted the brushes to reverse rotation.

Yes, I've done it to the S series, but most of the non reversing motors are staggered brush motors so in reverse they only run 2/3 normal speed.

I'm not clever enough for all that.

okay im interested in this. Wont the lead goin to the brushes be to short to cut and go to a switch? They are usually very short from the motor to the brush. Not alota extra lead to tap?

The main reason I was asking about it, Is that I've never had a Foredom in front of me.
I have one of the HF motor kits ( maybe 10 yrs old) and a couple of the knock-off dremal kits.
I've got low hours use on the HF unit, mostly for de-cating weedbeater muffs and misc handy-man stuff or other farting about.
The foot pedal of the HF has worked fine for the HF unit & the Dremal knock-offs.
As scarr52 said, Setting the top speed on the motor and then running a foot pedal is the way to go!! (I easily do that with the variable spd dremal k-o & the HF foot control)
but I could always dig out My variac and plug the HF into it and use the pedal

The dremal knock-offs and the HF unit were both involved in a little of my port wallowing of the PB-500 blower.

All of that long windedness means I don't know how hard it would be
to get at the proper wires inside of the Foredom units.
(exploded view parts diagrams, just don't always tell how poor the access is
in something)

IF, (a big if, with my budget) I could somehow get hands on a rt angle head,
I'd love to do a bit of messing about in some cylinders.( some lathe work also)
Would really like to look for a bit more 6300~8000 range grunt for the leaf blowers.
Larger diam air tubes need the torque in that rpm range.

Really interested to see if you guys get your foredoms. I would be interested in a new one at that price.

For some reason I cant see anything in that Feebay link ???
Even dropping it into google gets me nothing but a standard "landing page"
I'm gueessing it's a cellphone link and my old desktop caint hang....wahhh...

When I saw the link pop up I was almost not gonna click on it cause I figured I saw everything there was to offer on eBay. Luckily I did. Just rebuilt my old foredom and now I got an SR. I might be killed when the wife gets home.

Thing that really annoys me is a just bought a brand new 44t and it looks like this one comes with one. Damn Orwell, just have them setup with different collets I guess.

Latest posts

Back