Forest vs prairie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtD

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
When a forest and prairie land meet, does one invade the other or do they just stay separated?
Thank you

I couldn't find the answer online

Thank you so much,
Jeff
I couldn't find it be I even bought a bunch of books

In the natural state, the line between the forest and prairie will not be that distinct. There would be brushland that acts as the transition.

The difference between the prairie and forest is due to changes in soils, climate and topography. The topography will affect microclimates which would be ther reason the line is highly variable.

Fires are another factor that changes the location of the line between forest and prairie.

Around here I'd say a prairie is an area that has been disturbed (fires and storms would be the natural disturbances) and if left alone it will become a forest. I see people trying to establish a prairie on old crop ground. If they do not maintain it, trees have taken over in 10 years.

But like BCWetCoast said, there are various factors that influence the land cover. If you want to read about it, you need ecology books.

In the natural state, the line between the forest and prairie will not be that distinct. There would be brushland that acts as the transition.

The difference between the prairie and forest is due to changes in soils, climate and topography. The topography will affect microclimates which would be ther reason the line is highly variable.

Fires are another factor that changes the location of the line between forest and prairie.

Hence the forest and the prairie difference,,,
Jeff, (not to forget the acer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,)
Jeff :cool:

Back