Four stroke chainsaws on the way ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiluxxulih

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK since we have the EPA when are four stroke chainsaws coming ? the EPA has to giving 2 stroke saws the evil eye , I would kind of like to try one out .

Maybe, they would probably have more torque depending on engine design.

Seems if you could keep em wound up they would have loads of high end torque. I was thinking of it like ATV's

Two stroke ATV's are smokin fast with smaller motors. I see honda 250R's smoking 450YFZ 4 wheelers off the line but getting beat down on top end.

Those 4 stroke ATV's have loads of torque when they wound up.

I don't think they would cut near as good. Seems they would bog down way too much.

I have a Honda four stroke string trimmer and its pretty neat , the bogging aspect of a four stroke chainsaw would be the kicker , we need a pole on who will be the first to sell a four stroke chain saw , I should put a caveat on my statement I would buy one if Stihl makes one since I am a brainwashed Stihl lover :)

I have a Honda four stroke string trimmer and its pretty neat , the bogging aspect of a four stroke chainsaw would be the kicker , we need a pole on who will be the first to sell a four stroke chain saw , I should put a caveat on my statement I would buy one if Stihl makes one since I am a brainwashed Stihl lover :)

I think it would take more than double the cc's to have a good shot at hanging with a 2 stroke in a chainsaw. JMO

Lol, I'm brainwashed too, but not by listening to people just by working saws that won't ever die.:cheers:

They would probably be much bulkier and weigh a good deal more. They would have to be similar in design to the 4 mix line as they couldn't have an oil sump. I hope the gov never forces us into this...:cry:

They might push it, but Id guess it would be a long while if we ever see one. A 4 stroke has to be ALMOST twice the size of a 2 stroke to be the same power. Id guess that a 4 stroke saw the would be alot heavier than the 2 stroke, but if its built right would have the same power.

Im just comparing this to my past motor cycle racing experience. Everyone that run the 250 2 strokes laughed about the 450 4 strokes. Now, most are running the 4 strokes and the 2 strokers are on the back burners. Similar to the strato saws.... they seem to be catching on!

They would probably be much bulkier and weigh a good deal more. They would have to be similar in design to the 4 mix line as they couldn't have an oil sump. I hope the gov never forces us into this...:cry:

The little Honda's have a sump and can be run inverted.

The crank is setup up so that it 'mists' the oil, no pressure pump, sort of the ultimate splash feed design and they are OHC to boot.

Honda's little four strokes are light, torquey and robust.

Having said that, they've damn near desytroyed GP bike racing IMO as it was Honda lobbying that killed the old 500cc GP class, then the 250cc class (guess who supplies the Moto 2 engine ? :monkey:) and it looks like the 125's are going the way of the Dodo now thanks to Honda lobbying.

It's only a small step from lobbying racing organisations to Federal Govt Technocrats. ;)

Everyone that run the 250 2 strokes laughed about the 450 4 strokes. Now, most are running the 4 strokes and the 2 strokers are on the back burners. Similar to the strato saws.... they seem to be catching on!

Certainly have caught on but more to do with the equivalence rules and fashion than anything else. When a 2-stroke blows £300 at worst will put it right. Minor problems on a valved horror cost £500 and a big one is £2000 plus. Most dealers won't touch them over 2yrs old and the noise problem is closing tracks everywhere. Hope chainsaws don't go the same way.

The .gov is so bass-ackwords... They evil-eye being given to 2-strokes because of a little bit of unburnt fuel coming out the exhaust...

At the same time, they shove ULSD down everybody's throat, which not only costs more to process, but also uses more oil to make a gallon of ULSD than LSD... After this, they implement the soot traps that have to be regenerated often... The regen cycle consists of... you guessed it... Dumping raw fuel into the exhaust to clean the soot trap...

Morons.

Mike

Last edited:
Light & less complicated I what I like in a saw

I thought the strato saws & cat mufflers would hold off the EPA & Euro
equivalent for a few years. These guys should be forced to put on
PPE and use a heavy, unreliable chain saw for at least 8 hours in
Dixie or Aussie summer weather before given a say.
No wonder the Chinese are bootlegging old but good designs.

Certainly have caught on but more to do with the equivalence rules and fashion than anything else. When a 2-stroke blows £300 at worst will put it right. Minor problems on a valved horror cost £500 and a big one is £2000 plus. Most dealers won't touch them over 2yrs old and the noise problem is closing tracks everywhere. Hope chainsaws don't go the same way.

Yep, cost more up front, cost more to maintain, and cost alot more to repair.

I don't know too much about the 4 stroke string trimmers, but there is no way that I know of, to keep proper lubrication flowing inside a chainsaw (if it were a 4 stroke), it'd need a sump and pump.

Stihl has 4- MIX equipment out

No sump or oil pump the way I understand, but Stihl needs 50:1 Ultra in
the gas & more moving parts to service & maintain.

I would buy one if Stihl makes one since I am a brainwashed Stihl lover :)

I would give one(Stihl) a try... Everything four stroke that I have had had great torque right off the hit of the throttle. If they build one I will give it a try.:chainsaw:

I run a 4mix stihl fs90. this weedeater has gobs and gobs of power. I dont know if there will be 4 stroke saws in the future but you never know. Remember when the EPA started attacking sleds? everyone said the 2 strokes were done but the companies just started making them better. I personally like 4 stroke quads and bikes better but that is just me.

Latest posts

Back