Fractal burns

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try a neon sign transformer, they make the best Sci fi props like in the old Frankenstein movie where the lightning bolts climb 2 metal rods!
Yeah, I’ve read that they are the best. However, neon signs when out of fashion decades ago over here

I’ve stumbled across this vulnerability that allows me to edit anyones previous posts by quoting them. (Don’t tell anyone that it was me that told you).

NO WAY! I connect up the wiring and then move three or four metres back to insert the power plug and flick the switch. When it looks to have achieved a nice look I switch it of and unplug it before going back to have a proper look. That kind of voltage can jump a reasonable distance. Probably only a couple of centimetres, but why take the risk. Insanely, you can buy manufactured set ups were you can hold two insulated probes to apply them where you like.
This may be a dumb question, but how do you control the burn pattern?

I use a transformer out of a microwave. I believe it pumps the voltage up from 240V to around 2500V.
As a kid, I had a 19,000 volt neon sign transformer to play with.
One day I put a sparkplug in a vice and connected it to the transformer.
Put lighter fluid in the plug and plugged in the transformer.
Quick flash later I decided to disconnect the transformer.

Not to self, next time unplug the transformer before grabbing the vice!

Back