friction hitches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
Reaction score
I can't express just how excited I am about my recent switch from an open friction hitch to a closed setup using a 4/1 distal hitch. This hitch is amazing how it almost never needs to be touched. With a tender pulley, it ascends as if it wasn't there, and locks instantly when I put weight on it. To descend, two fingers on top release it easily, and when I let go it locks instantly again.

How many others out there are still using an open hitch, like I did for so many years? What are your other favorite hitches, and why? Who has a closed hitch that might be even better than the distal? The M.T. looks like it would let you descend further before holding due to the multiple crossovers, but I'm anxious to try it once I get a long enough hitch rope.

That UT is enroute via UPS ground. Not enough for a VT though, I got enough for a few hitches and that is the remander. You should be able to go down to 3:1 with that.

Play with the length between knots to get the optimal hold.

John,

when I first tried the Schwabish, it was with my UT cord that I use for my 4+3 Vt. I didnt like it at all, it bound up too much. 3/8 double braid is the best I've used so far, the $22 eye and eye tenex would slip sometimes or bind up a bit. I didnt give it much of a chance though, as to me, the Vt is better. Funny, in my brief experimenting with wraps, and lengths , I found the distel sometimes grabs less positively than the schwabisch. One would think the opposiste, due to the reversed direction of the wraps, like a tautline.

I go with the 4 over 1 schwabisch.
Being such a newcomer in treeclimbing, I started
learing the 4 over 1 distal rightaway. Never even tried
the open split tail hitches.
I switched to schwabisch cause it seems to
hold together better than the distal, it looks prettier
basically :)
Other than that, they seem very equal in performance.
The schwabisch might bite a little better, all depending
on the ropes I guess.

I'm also using a 4 over 1 distel with Petzl's fixe pulley.
I often use this set up connected to a flat webbing (instead of connected directly to the harness). The carabiner can be used as a handle (very nice when body-thrusting) and slides easily up the rope.

Sergio

www.tree-climbing.com

Well brian, you've only been screwing around with the closed prussic loop for a couple weeks and youy are already looking for the next upgrade, good for you.
The hitches you have been using so far are all about the same, you tie, dress, set. They have consistent presure on them depending on how tight you set them. The next step is to go to hitches like the VT that work like a chinese finger trap. Their are as many variations of them out there as there are bored climbers to invent them.
Look at the sherrill cataloge, there are one or two pictured there. There are also about twenty or more on the web, and if you ask around at a show, you should be able to find about twenty or thirty more. Be warned these take a bit more skill to figure out how to tie and use, but it's worth the time and effort.

It is Puget Sound Rope's product. I think Mark C uses NER.

They're probably all pretty similar. 3/8th works well...

Hmmm, seems PSR has 2 DB ropes in 3/8 nylon and poly. both are rated at 4400#.

NERope t900 is a poly covered spectra-technora blend with 10,000#

UT is poly coated technora, cannot get at their site.

4400# seems ok to me on a closed loop system, what is your perfoot cost?

i run a 3/1distel in 3 strand. i kinda like the chinese finger puzzle knot theory, and have reflected on that imagery in playing with them; but don't like all that line and slack on bridge, especiallly before being able to engage slacktender, mine is in fixed position. Do you guys use a fixed position tender, moving tender or adjustable bridging?

i kinda think that prusik family knots (that the hitch stops and changes direction, having both ends exit on the same side, with a straight bar), will always pull closed tighter than a similar clove hitch type (distel, ends exit on opposite sides) because that tendancy is in the open styles of these knots.

I've been trying out the v.t (I think it is..). I'm really impressed..with a tender pulley, it's great to be able to take up slack so easily just with one hand. I wasn't sure to start, because it looks as if it will fall apart when not loaded - pictures of the distel look more reassuring - but it never has so far, and it's never ever locked. My only problem is it's awkward to body thrust with it compared to the old blake's hitch. I might get round that with a sliding bridge system..just push the bridge up and thrust away, I'd imagine the whole thing looks after itself.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who prefers distel over v.t and why...

I'd like to see a picture of the V.T. that is as clear as Sergio's picture of the distal hitch. I tried copying the V.T. off of one site and it fell apart on me, it just rolled down from the top.

Acer, a tender pulley is practically required for body thrusting. If you make a small prusik loop out of a bootlace or something, you can clip the pulley on the standing side of your lifeline. With the prusik loop, you can adjust it up or down. When body thrusting (air humping), I slide mine as far up as it will go and it keeps my friction hitch up out of my way. I can concentrate on pulling myself up and never touch my hitch.

Thanks, Tim. I wanted to make sure I had it right. For some reason I thought it would be more complicated, but it's simplicity is amazing. I guess the complicated name threw me off!

Another option while body thrusting is to have a person on the ground belay you. While you're pulling on the rope, let the hitch fall to the side. The groundperson can pull on the tail, and the micro-pulley will advance the knot, about at your waist.

Nickrosis

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
I still don't know why people thrust when they can footlock:confused:

I've never been able to footlock, John. But I'm picking up a Pantin tomorrow so I can pretend like I'm footlocking! :p

You'd be amazed how much you can build muscles by air humping, though. If you are out of practice and have to air hump 60' or so, you will discover muscles you forgot you had by the next day!

I body thrust more than I footlock just because my climbs aren't very high, and if I BT I can get right to work when I get up there. If I footlock I would have to untie and then tie to set myself up for work. The 1 minute saved is lost in the knots.
Greg

Latest posts

Back