fuel cans

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlacknTan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Let me apologize in advance, because I'm sure this has been 'cussed and discussed many times here, but after numerous searches, I just can't find anything..
I'm sure we're all disgusted with the new CARB compliant fuel cans! I've never spilt some much fuel in my life as since these pieces of garbage have been forced down out throats.. I've heard of drilling and pulling schraeder valves for a tire in as a vent.. all manner of ideas...

What is the can that gives the best results??

The new Blitz cans look like they just might work a bit better than the ones that you need three or four hands to operate. I wish i didn't have to buy a new can, but sometimes it's just time..

Tell me the cans you've had good luck.... errrr.. better luck than others, with..

Last edited:
Let me apologize in advance, becvause I'm sure this has been 'cussed and discussed many times here, but after numerous searches, I just can't find anything..
I'm sure we're all disgusted with the new CARB compliant fuel cans! I've never spilt some much fuel in my life as since these pieces of garbage have been forced down out throats.. I've heard of drilling and pulling schraeder valves for a tire in as a vent.. all manner of ideas...

What is the can that gives the best results??

The new Blitz cans look like they just might work a bit better than the ones that you need three or four hands to operate. I wish i didn't have to buy a new can, but sometimes it's just time..

Tell me the cans you've had good luck.... errrr.. better luck than others, with..

Since CARB is the California Air resource Board, how as the the rest of the country did we get stuck with their stupid ideas?????????????????

Since CARB is the California Air resource Board, how as the the rest of the country did we get stuck with their stupid ideas?????????????????

Stupid ideas appear to begin in California... and spread to the rest of the country... Some other stupid ideas begin in NY, and work their way West..

Coastal exchange!

We Canadians get stuck with run of the mill plain old style jerry cans. I bought a 1 gallon can for $6.00 plus tax,it was sitting next to a split can B&C oil and mix on the other side for a few bucks more.

Stupid ideas appear to begin in California... and spread to the rest of the country... Some other stupid ideas begin in NY, and work their way West..

Coastal exchange!

Seeing this is true (CARB,Severe forms of fun control, Hippies, Berkley, etc.) We should give Cali to Canada, that way it is no longer our problem.

Not wishing to gloat but we can get these pretty handy combination canisters over here.
There's good nozzles that go on them also which pour when you push them against the filler hole and stop when its full.

CombiCan.jpg

HB345B_200x200.jpg

They also hold files and the wrench sparkplug, screwdriver thing you get with Stihls.
All in all a good setup in my humble opinion.

Since we're on the topic of gas cans, I've got another bone to pick. In my area they don't sell any 2 1/2 gallon cans. All they sell are the 2 gallon plus 8 oz cans. Yet everyone sells oil mix for the 2 1/2 gallon cans.:confused: Good news is I just picked up a 1 gallon fuel and tool can by blitz. The can has a compartment to hold a hand full of tools ans spare chains underneath the can.:clap: It's ancient, don't know why they make these anymore either.

CARB cans suck for saws. I like the 5 gallon one I use for the 4 wheeler but the only good thing I can say about the 1 gal one for the saws is that my Tahoe doesnt smell like gas when I'm driving down the road.

That said, when I empty the current bar oil jug, it is the new gas can, unless I can find a clear one like dad brought home from work with 2 stroke oil that his company produced. Grandpa has used an antifreeze jug for years with no problem. He also uses a woolite bottle with a pouring spout on it for the bar oil, works great. Just take a rope and tie each end to the bottle handles and put it over the shoulder and carry them both into the woods.

You could always shell out the $$$ for one of the metal Eagle cans Bailey's has- the ones with the neck don't spill a drop. Although $90 for a gas can for a homeowner is a little excessive for sure. Bar oil jugs are the cheap alternative and what I use myself...
:cheers:

He also uses a woolite bottle with a pouring spout on it for the bar oil, works great.

That's a great idea. And I was just yelling at my wife yesterday for not throwing away those bottles too. :givebeer:

Empty 1-gal coleman fuel cans.

They keep out light , moisture and air. Only fill them about 7/8 and you can pour right into the saw will no spills.

The best part is as I camp a lot, they are free.

If you need a big can the GI jerry cans can still be found.

Get the no-spill can from Baileys.

I've been using one all year and really like it.

Fair warning that it is air-tight. Combine that with ethanol and you get extreme expansion/contraction with temperature changes.

I've saving up for the companion no-spill oil jug.

CARBCan.jpg

Thanks MTNGUN :clap:
Just ordered one. I was looking for a new can and wasn't liking what I was seeing. This looks like a good one.

Coastal exchange!

Not all, what about stupid ideas that begin in Chicago and get crammed down our throats?

Its silly that you just cant go buy a simple gas can at any store on the corner. I have one of these junky carb gas cans to. If I put mine in my trucks toolbox the lid gets knocked off everytime. If anybody knows where to buy a good 1 gal and 5 gal can Id like to hear it. I just would like something with a tough spout and a lid that stays on.

Just ordered one. I was looking for a new can and wasn't liking what I was seeing. This looks like a good one.
Except for it being unvented -- which seems standard these days -- everyone likes it. I don't miss the pre-carb cans at all. This one is better.

I've thought about drilling a tiny hole near the top for ventilation, but then the ethanol could soak up that much more moisture from the air, and if the jug tipped over in the back of the truck, fuel would leak out the vent hole.

Latest posts

Back