Fuel mixture

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any of you guys ever try the amsoil saber professional? They recommend using it at 80:1 or 100:1, regardless of what your equipment specifies:

As mentioned before this will work on stock motors but you aren't leaving much room for error. Several reputable saw builders over on the saw forum have proven this to fail with any increase in compression or porting.

To me Amsoil is kind of like staying at a Holiday Inn Express last night. It might make you feel a little better but others will do the job just as well. Sorry but I haven't drank the Kool-aid on that one.

Kool-Aid... good word...
I tried some super lube once... some of that 100:1 stuff... replaced the cylinder, piston and rings in the golf cart a month later.
Ouch

Well...I'm glad I've been using it at 75:1 so far...despite my buddy calling me a "wuss" for not going the full 100:1.

FWIW - I have a Husqvarna 50 (1986) that has been run on 40:1( recommended by manufacturer), since it was new. Went from a cloud of smoke, to no smoke (almost), as the years went by, and I switched to semi-synthetic oil. It runs as good now as it did new, and it has cut a lot of wood. Never had a single issue with the engine in 28 years.

I run a tad rich 50:1 mix so it's probably more like 47.683:1 :rolleyes: , but that is what I've always run with no problems so I see no need to fix what ain't broke.

Send pics to their rep, I'm sure they will say its your fault ;)

This piston should uses three rings... the top two became one with the piston.

49295d1305887779-plugged-exhaust-p-c2.jpg

The cylinder after I tried running a hone in it (and I'm not sure why I even tried it).

49297d1305887779-plugged-exhaust-p-c4.jpg
49298d1305887779-plugged-exhaust-p-c5.jpg
49296d1305887779-plugged-exhaust-p-c3.jpg

Is it possible to run my Stihl 028 & Husky 50 off the same gas mixture ? Or am I just setting myself up for mech problems ?
On the gas mixster I go to a stihl dealer buy the gas by the can cost a little more thru about six cans and couple bottles of chain oil just leave it there or in the tool box with couple of Stihl saws MS180 or Ms 261 I only take my 362 when I know I will need it. Me my saw my LCF truck we always on the prow for Ash I make deliverys when in the city. My LCF is built just to do firewood in the bundlesThat way I don't waste time stopping and mixing at the stations or at home. My LCF is a 450 power stroke with a 4.5 v-6 with a 6 speed auto 10 ton winch a 12 foot complete roll back and dump it took me 5 years to find this one with 50 miles on it. The cab sets up high so you can see Back to gas I don't have time to nickle dime on gas I have to grab it and go I use 92 octane in all my gas burners. when i get thru with them throw them in the corner when I need them pick it up one or two pulls it starts. later

I use Saber from Amsoil in my saws and all 2 stroke engines here. I tried it at 100:1 and thought my saws were running hotter than normal. I have no measurement figures but it just felt like it was hotter. Use to have a Sachs Dolmar 120 and now have 2 Dolmar 7900's. So I started running Saber at 40:1. The size bottle I buy works out good for my 1970 eagle 2.5 gallon gas can. The main reason I stuck with Saber is it's smokeless. I do get some smoke once I let the saw warm a bit and first rev. the engine up. But after that, there's no smoke. I don't like smokey saws like I ran back in the 60's and 70's. Can't say it's any better than any other oil but I think it's as good as any and smokeless.

I started running Stihl synthetic at 32-1 since I've got a couple ported saws, but my back pack blower and weed eater didn't seem to like it that rich so i had to have two cans. One at 50-1,and the other at 32-1. Started to become a pain if I took a ported saw and a non ported into the woods(taking 2 gas cans) . I've just switched everything over to motul 800 at 44-1 and all my ope seems to like it.

Back