Full Skip for full house

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.040 rakers ????
Jeeses Chrrrist.

.025 is PLENTY

There has to be 1001 threads on filing, raker height, angles, and so forth on arboristsite.

In the interest of pointing it out, I will challenge anybody with rakers that low to a competition. Bring it on. :popcorn2:
We will set it up, and race it.

My point is that there is a limited amount of power you can put on a 3/8 chain. File the rakers completely off and replace the power head with a Ford 390. I wonder why the chain snapped off??

I agree. I have the gauges to do both 0.025 and 0.030, and I find the 0.025 is fine for both my ms290 and my ms461. I thought the ms461 would cut faster with more cutter exposed. All it does it get real grabby and I have to back off a bit.

Just .025” on rakers? At least .040” on big power heads. But the chain needs to be razor sharp.

Guess I’m different. Skip in certain situations equals faster chain speed, and less bogging which makes it faster or as fast as full house. I never have any lack of smoothness using skip chain. Rakers though play a huge role.

Back