FYI - Northern Chainsaw Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is what I thought

But looking closer the main pic and the manual pic may be more paint in difference. If the bed is solid and it holds an angle it might be pretty OK

Yeah, maybe it's just a lousy pic. I sent an email to Northern asking who makes the grinder and asked about the difference in pics between the manual and their add. Oh, according to what's included, it comes with a disc.

The response from Northern:
''The vendor is T-Max Industrial Co. and is manufactured in China.''
She also said it is the same picture, and after looking it over closer, I agree. I've ordered from them a half-dozen times or so, and am always satisfied, but I think I'll pass on this. I will send her a thank you for her prompt and curteous reply. I will catch the Oregon one on sale sometime.

Last edited:
I will try to get it open and take a few good pics of this thing so you guys can make a better decision. This will be my first of this type sharpener so I am not sure what you guys are looking for except for a good tight fit and precision in movement. I have always used a file or Dremel tool and i am pretty good at it but just wanted to give this tool a shot, it should be much better than the Harbor freight tool, lol. I should get this thing by tomorrow so keep a look out for some pics.

Ok guys I got the Northern chain sharpener today with one minor draw-back, one of three of the stones was broken as you will see in the pics if I get them loaded. The tool looks very stout and is all metal body. I needs to be assembled but that will have to wait.I hope the pics will help you guys make up your mind on a purchase. I will deal with the costumer service about the broken stone.

THe harbor freight sharpeners are pretty much crap as I have seen. The construction doesn't hold an angle well if you lean too hard or not hard enough.

Check out eBay for deals on OREGON grinders. I ordered (4) of the Northern Tool grinders. I plan to keep 1 for doing depth guages and offer the others to my logger buddies for x-mas presents. A cheap grinder might not be worth buying, but it is definately worth using if it's a gift.

I'll keep ya posted on how well they work. I just happen to have some of the OREGON grinders in my shop. I'll do a side-by-side comparison right down to the thickness of hardware.

Now you went and did it... After seeing the pics from the Northern Tool grinder, I want one just because of the metal construction.

I have a Harbor Freight grinder and as DOLMARatOs stated, they are cheaply made. BUT, if you have a little patience and some imagination, the Harbor Freight grinder can become something useful.

I found the hinge to be sloppy and would not keep a precise angle on the cutters. The clamp was too wide (for most of my applications) and failed to hold the chain securely in the vise. And the wheel arbor is made of plastic and only pressure fitted onto the motor arbor (which resulted in the wheel sliding away from and off of the motor arbor).

I made some improvements to mine. I tapped the motor arbor and the plastic wheel arbor is now held in place by a washer and bolt. The plastic hinge holes were drilled out and fitted with brass bushings, and the hingle bolt was replaced by a longer 3/8" hex bolt that now is very precise. And lastly, the chain clamp was fitted with thinner washers to make a tighter fit on the chain (that I mostly use).

These improvements are not much, but they have created a totally different breed of machine. The grinder works so much better than when first tested on an old chain. The angles are near perfect and provide an even grind every time now.

Just some food for thought for those with tight budgets. If I had a picture account thingy, I could post some pics. Anyway, I figured if I sharpened 9 chains with it, I got my money back out of it.

Last edited:
Yup. With a little thought and some elbow grease, any piece of junk can be a jewel. I have modified many of HB tools to fit my needs.

I will keep y'all posted on the Northern grinders. The power difference in the motor was less than 5o or 60 watts to the OREGON 511A. I'll take some side by sides. If all the parts interchange I think I'll sell my older 511A and use the Northern unit for small chain and depth guages.

I can always dump them on ebay if they don't live up to my expectations, but I haven't seen anything that bad from NT or HF. Just have to wait till the sale is over to drop them on the bay.

Looked over an Oregon grinder today

I was installing windows in a fellows Garage today and noticed he had an oregon grinder hanging from the wall.I noticed it was made of a plastic framework., and it looks a lot like the one I am fixing to order from Northern.
Its only money.. can't take it with us.. andI have found that, I do get to keep it longer if I do not answer the phone when the bill collectors calls. LOL

I have an update on the broken grinding disk I got with my new chain sharpener.I called costumer service and they said because it was made in Japan it would take 3 to 4 months to get a new disk. So now the whole thing will be mailed back to Northern and a new one will be sent as I speak. They will have UPS stop by and pick up my first one. It is just plain bad luck that the disk was broken, by the way the box looked like:D UPS was a little ruff with the shipping. So far Northern has done good with my sale credit and return.

Sorry Tom I don't remember the sizes but I did write the broken one down, I just have to find the paper I wrote it on, It was very thin. I already boxed up the sharpener for UPS to pick up tomorrow.

That's alright. I've waffled and almost ordered this a couple of times. If it came with the 3/16" disks I'd go for it. Doesn't sound like it. Maybe I'll email Northern again.

Mine should be here Monday

Hopefully not damaged in shipping. It is to muddy here to even get to a treetop to cut wood. and all my chains are sharp from filing.. Might just tune up my 20 inch chain a bit and go grab a few of dads

You guys have to quit doing this! It starts with saws, I had three when I joined and now have ten. Then a peavey, now a mill and bigger saw have caught my eye. The list goes on but I digress....................

Ok I feel better, thanks for listening.

Now where is that order form.................................

Latest posts

Back