FYI - Northern Chainsaw Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the northern grinder today. Exact Chinese duplicate of a 511a. Right down to the size of the hardware. Exact. Sounds nice, comes with 1/8. 3/16, 1/4 wheels. Work light is good. Whole unit seems to be worth the 229.00 they sell them for. For $100.00 it's a steal. FYI.

DOLMARatOs said:
Got the northern grinder today. Exact Chinese duplicate of a 511a. Right down to the size of the hardware. Exact. Sounds nice, comes with 1/8. 3/16, 1/4 wheels. Work light is good. Whole unit seems to be worth the 229.00 they sell them for. For $100.00 it's a steal. FYI.

Thank you for the report. I can stop being nervous now. I can start being excited.

What is the best tool to use to profile the wheel?

Alright, I ordered one too. I wonder why their grinding wheels are so expensive? Maybe it's a 3-pack.

Just oreder the OREGON wheels. They are higher quality. Use a dressing block to shape the wheels. THese are available from any oregon dealer but there are very few that will stock them. Takes a couple days to get.

I was talking about the Oregon wheels that Northern sells. $27.99 and weighs 4 lbs. which is why I was thinking it was a three pack. They call it a stone instead of a wheel or disk. Maybe I'll email them again. They do get back to me fast.

wheels

Becareful when ordering wheels from a different manufacture.Check the diameter!Some wheels are 1/8" larger.Won't fit in wheel housing on some models.
Ed

RaisedByWolves said:
is it reversable?

Well...The suspense is killing me...IS IT?

I have waited to order one. I would like a reversible one. I realize they don't come with the reverse switch, but being an electrician, I think I can figure it out...lol

I justed wanted to let you guys know I got my second Chain saw sharpener today and everything seems to be fine except for a few scratches here and there. They sure didn't pack this thing very well from the factory, everything was rubbing together causing abasions and scratches which I can live with. The box with the three disk in it was at the bottom with everything on top of it, I thought they were broken again because the box was beat up and smashed down on the coners, The disk were ok. The whole box the sharpener came in was also beat up and had to be taped up, man , UPS is ruff. I plan on putting it together in just a few minutes, hope there is nothing missing.
Hay FreakingStang, I hope you come up with a mode to run that sharpener in reverse and post it step-by-step, I am sure there were a lot of us that bought this thing. Have a good one.

Mine will be here tomorrow.

I was really hoping it would show up today. I had a free day today. Tomorrow I have to put in some windows to pay for my toys..
There was already a wiring diagram somewhere here lately about a 4 position switch. Maybe it will apply to this grinder too?

Has anybody sharpened a chain with one of these yet ? How did the sharpener perform?
Is the hinge on it tight? or sloppy like the harborfreight junk?
I'm thinkin about ordering one myself, but wanted to hear a review first.

RaisedByWolves said:
You only have ten saws :laugh:

I may just order one of these, is it reversable?

RBW I fixed my problem, I bought 12 homelite's one mac and one to be determined the other day. Now to get them all in to shape......................

I plan on it being able to reverse. Some one said it is an exact duplicate of the 511, which with the addition of a DPPT switch is revesible.

If it doesn't work out no sweat, just hit the one side with a file and be done. At least this way I'm just like everybody else :D

well My grinder arrived today

And just as my luck goes.. The guard casting was broken. I will call em tomorrow and tell em to send someone to pick it up. Poor packing job on all accounts.I could Jb weld it together.. But I bought a new product not a Broken one....

Eric, sorry you have to send it back, as you know I had to send my sharpener back also because it had a broken disk. I agree it is poor packing on the manufacture and Northern and UPS needs to lighten up on the ruff house stuff. My second sharpener came the other day and as I said the box was so beat up I was totaly surprised the disk or something else wasn't broken. Now all I have to do is figure out how to use it, never had one of these things before and there are lots of ajustments. I hope you get your second one real soon, my tool didn't take long at all. Good luck !!!:clap:

Northern should inspect these before they ship

Then they would know whether it is UPS or the ship from China.
Maybe they should double box them? seems a few bucks spent on packaging would beat paying ups twice.

I wouldnt worry about the wheel being broke, I would put a diamond or borzon wheel on for sharpening anyway. I only use the other wheel to take the guides down.

Got mine today

Put on a chain I'd stuck in the dirt or cut some dead oak with or did something to scorch it. I've never seen a grinder before except for pics so feel free to critique. I'm satisfied with the results, but I'll know more after putting the metal to the wood.

Excelent, glad to here someone used the machine and is satisfied with it so far. I still have to wait until Xmas to use mine. I may need some help setting up all those little nobby gagets. I guess all we need now is someone to get it to run in reverse.:bowdown:

Latest posts

Back