FYI - Northern Chainsaw Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe your right. But I always say the prof is in the pudding. I just use the scales it came with. I'm not putting a degree wheel on this thing. My test is looking how the chips fly. My saws are throwing good chips, better then when I hand filed. That's good enough for me.

Hand filed? You are a serious wood cutter! (I am lazy)

I should have guessed I would get crap over talking about China tools in a off calibrated way. :)

Actually what I did was set a new chain on it read the recomended cutting angles on the box the chain came in and marked the scales to it, I didnt put a gage on or anything complicated like that. One of the 2 was way off on mine I think I trust the new chain. HTH

I got tired of reaching way up for the handle so i put a 'stop' on the back side so the grinder doesnt go all the way up. About 1/2 way.

Oh by the way guys the best mod I did was added a motor arm up stop. The Oregon had it and it saves a lot of time IMO reaching up and dragging that arm down and up each cut but that is just my fellings on it may not help any of you though thought I would mention it?

Oh by the way guys the best mod I did was added a motor arm up stop. The Oregon had it and it saves a lot of time IMO reaching up and dragging that arm down and up each cut but that is just my fellings on it may not help any of you though thought I would mention it?

I used a zip tie looped around the bottom stop and the handle. Works good enough.

Just for S&G's, what would be the best way to measure the angles of the grinder? I am just curuious as to how far off they really are, and possibly in the market to re-mark the most used ones.

Kansas, there are several things that
improve the way it works. Maybe some one could narrow it down for him.

For starters, I found plugging in the unit didn't help one bit. Even with it plugged in, I still had to spin the wheel by hand and, let me tell you, it took a long time to sharpen a chain.

Then I tried hitting the power button with it plugged in and that did help a great deal in throwing sparks. Those nice pretty blue cutters didn't cut worth anything. Still, the sparks were a pretty deep orange color.

I'm still working out the little details, as you can see.:)

Plumber,

Thanks for the post, I just found the switch after your post. What a difference. My fingers shouldn't get so sore now.

I just learned from reading some of the older posts that the top piece is spring loaded, and is supposed to bolt to the base and works kinda like a hinge. Keeps everything in line. Here's a photo of me early on trying to steady the grinder on my knee while grinding a chain -- you should see some of those early chains, they wouldn't cut whipped cream. :cry:

attachment.php

I used a zip tie looped around the bottom stop and the handle. Works good enough.

Just for S&G's, what would be the best way to measure the angles of the grinder? I am just curuious as to how far off they really are, and possibly in the market to re-mark the most used ones.

Well Ed since I already had an Oregon I was fortunate to know what was missing and where. The up stop on the arm was IMO a time waster so I put a bolt in where the Oregon had one and set the maks on the scales with a new chain like I mentioned and used a permanant fine point marker I took pics and if I can post them I will. :)

How about starting a junky work bench contest? Mine is pretty bad right now I included a pic. Too many irons in the fire as usual. :)

Charlesfarm thanks for the laugh! That made my morning I almost spilled coffee I laughed so hard! :)

Now I have a guilty conscience for having such a neat and orderly work bench. And for hollering at my grandson for messing it up every chance he gets. All this time I thought I was right and he was wrong. Now you guys have me wondering. :cheers:

If he is messing it up, at least he is around the workbench, and if Grandpa is there, that ain't so bad, is it?

Not bad at all. We've raised him since he was born and he has always liked tools and mechanical things. Since he was small. I've always encouraged him. He uses up all my nails, bolts, nuts, and other parts and makes a big mess, but like you say, is isn't a bad thing. He's become a pretty good mechanic now at 17. And he is my wood cutting partner too. And hunting partner, ice fishing partner, and lots of other stuff. Like the kids before him were. 7 kids and 10 grand kids.

Back